A problem with the 12 team playoff

Lucky Jack

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
The main problem with a 12 team playoff is that it's at least 8 teams too many. This year, and most others, it's 10 teams too many.

Reactions: Elefantman

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
If I understand the 12 team selection correctly (and I may not), from what I gather, a 12 team playoff this year would look like this:

First round bye
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Utah
4. Clemson

Next 2 highest ranked conference champs
5. Kansas State
6. Tulane

Highest ranked remaining
7. TCU
8. Ohio State
9. Alabama plays at Ohio State, winner to face Georgia
10. Tennessee plays at TCU, winner to face Michigan
11. USC plays at Tulane, winner to face Utah
12. Penn State plays at Kansas State, winner to face Clemson

Looks to me like the top 6 conference champs requirement pushes some very good teams (OSU, Alabama) to lower seeds (7-10) thereby bracketing them with the highest ranked teams. Seems to not only punish the 7-10 seeds, but also 1 and 2.

As an aside, note that Tulane would make the playoffs and get home field advantage(?!)
You’re seeing what I’m seeing and we agree on this but just as a point of information I want to point out something. In the 12-team playoff, the 5th and 6th conference champs will not be seeded 5th and 6th. The top 4 conf champs will get the top seeds, but after that the 5th thru 12th seeds will be determined by the playoff poll ranking.

Other than that, you’re right on point

Reactions: PacadermaTideUs

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Since this is happening I am not going to debate whether it should or should not. The announced format needs some work though.

• The top 4 get a bye but, they will lose out on an extra home game. That doesn't seem fair and almost makes you want to not be in the top 4. You can't even say they play 1 less game because they would have just played in their conference title game while many of the rest of the 12 didn't have to play in one. The first 2 rounds should be at the higher seed's home field but, no, they have to use the New Years 6 bowls.
  • I don't think bowl games should be involved at all, just let them die. It's going to look stupid being handed a bowl game trophy in a quarter finals match. Like, who cares about that trophy, toss it in the trash, it means nothing. Play the quarter finals at home and play the semis on a neutral site but not affiliated with any bowl. You don't need the fake prestige of a bowl game to feel important, being the semifinals is enough. At this point, it is only so the bowl owners can still feel important and hand out their trophies but, nobody cares anymore.
  • They are locking themselves into a corner by saying the top 4 conference champs will automatically get the top 4 seeds. Why do that? Just say that the top 6 conference champs get auto bids but don't lock them into specific seeds. I don't like the idea of auto-bids at all because it lets teams like #18 Tulane in but, locking them into specific seeds is a joke. Take this year (I'm using last weeks CFP rankings because that's what they were when the CCG were played). We would see a 2 loss, #9 Clemson and a 3 loss, #10 KSU jump 6 teams to grab top 4 spots. That's ridiculous. Let them in sure, but top 4, never. Should KSU have gotten in this year over TCU? Of course not so, why should they be ranked higher in a 12 team playoff? The basketball tournament has auto-bids but they are not tied to specific seeds, and they should not be here as well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I guess I must have missed something in these threads, but doesn't the final CFP poll, essentially by rating the teams, serve as a seeding mechanism. The top four in the final CFP poll should get the byes without regard to being a conference champion. I agree that doing away with conference championship games would be a good start.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess I must have missed something in these threads, but doesn't the final CFP poll, essentially by rating the teams, serve as a seeding mechanism. The top four in the final CFP poll should get the byes without regard to being a conference champion. I agree that doing away with conference championship games would be a good start.
I the 12 team model, the 4 highest ranked P5 conference champions get the byes. Yeah, it is pathetic pandering to get the format passed. Should have waited 2 more years and just got it right.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Imagine that bracket happening this year....

Bama gets USC at home.
Win and get Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
Win and get Clemson/Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl.
Win and get Georgia in the CFPCG

After the road games that we had this year, that's brutal. We would have to finish 14-2 to win the title.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.