A rating - a members power rating system for the SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteflock

Jul 20, 2004
Definition of a power rating for those that need a definition. power rankings can be derived by sorting each team's ratings and assigning an ordinal rank to each team, so that the highest rated team earns the #1 rank. Rating systems provide an alternative to traditional sports standings which are based on win-loss-tie ratios.

Mine is based on scores, location of game, strength of schedule. Range depends on how good or bad a team does.

1​
Kentucky
102.11​
2​
S Carolina
102.05​
3​
Alabama
101.60​
4​
Florida
101.49​
5​
LSU
101.37​
6​
Miss St.
100.93​
7​
Auburn
100.77​
8​
Mississippi
100.66​
9​
Tennessee
100.56​
10​
Arkansas
99.83​
11​
Texas A&M
98.25​
12​
Missouri
97.66​
13​
Georgia
97.47​
14​
Vanderbilt
95.24​

whiteflock

Jul 20, 2004
I was asked what is this was in a previous post. The thread was marked power ratings.So I thought they didnt know what power ratings meant. This is my power rating based on scores, location of game and strength of schedule. It is only based on SEC games and is an accurate prediction of who gets in the NCAA tournament. Anyone over 101 has always gotten in. As with all ratings the more games included the more accurate the system is. I put the numbers in the system and post what comes out. No rigged system.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I was asked what is this was in a previous post. The thread was marked power ratings.So I thought they didnt know what power ratings meant. This is my power rating based on scores, location of game and strength of schedule. It is only based on SEC games and is an accurate prediction of who gets in the NCAA tournament. Anyone over 101 has always gotten in. As with all ratings the more games included the more accurate the system is. I put the numbers in the system and post what comes out. No rigged system.
You were asked what the heck the system was, as in, where did you pull it from or did you originate it, etc. I've said that in the other thread, by private message, and now here.

whiteflock

Jul 20, 2004
This is my power rating based on scores, location of game and strength of schedule. It is only based on SEC games and is an accurate prediction of who gets in the NCAA tournament. Anyone over 101 has always gotten in. As with all ratings the more games included the more accurate the system is. I put the numbers in the system and post what comes out. No rigged system.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe it doesn't need to be fixed. The end of the season will show.

If I remember correctly from last season, it was spot on.
No, it wasn't. It was adjusted as the games played out, but at this point last season it showed Alabama as a playoff team, and everyone with eyes knew better.

Reactions: imauafan

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
No, it wasn't. It was adjusted as the games played out, but at this point last season it showed Alabama as a playoff team, and everyone with eyes knew better.
I don't recall this poster posting their system last year. I couldn't find it in a search either.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm so sick and tired of rating/ranking systems that devalue the on field/court results. Just more of the "every one gets a trophy" mentality that is ruining all age levels of athletics. It's no longer about winning and losing (you know, the whole point of playing the game), it's all about how good or bad you looked while winning or loosing. "Aww, you lost a lot of games. Don't worry about it because you looked great in those losses so here's your trophy."

No ranking should ever have an 11 loss team ranked above a 3 loss team, that's stupid.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I'm so sick and tired of rating/ranking systems that devalue the on field/court results. Just more of the "every one gets a trophy" mentality that is ruining all age levels of athletics. It's no longer about winning and losing (you know, the whole point of playing the game), it's all about how good or bad you looked while winning or loosing. "Aww, you lost a lot of games. Don't worry about it because you looked great in those losses so here's your trophy."

No ranking should ever have an 11 loss team ranked above a 3 loss team, that's stupid.
I'll go to bat for systems like KenPom here.

KenPom doesn't pay attention to actual wins or losses. A 1 point win is not meaningfully different from a 1 point loss.

And there's the crux of it. KenPom is not "results" oriented (by results I mean wins and losses). It's not a poll and shouldn't be treated like one.

Not necessarily good for grading resùmes and the like, but generally very reliable for matchups and team quality in general.

But what this is ranking system we're discussing here is, well, I'm at a loss. Sure, it's ok to have a baseline (101 makes the tourney), but it's very strange to have us below that baseline when we're already a stone cold lock.

Last edited:

whiteflock

Jul 20, 2004
You are correct Dogpatch. That is the ranking as of today. Keep watching until end of SEC Tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.