AAC commissioner: "bring back the BCS"

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I wish that the P5 would separate from the G5. To be enraged that Cincinnati is not in the top 4 as Aresco claimed is preposterous. He is either deceitful or clueless to make such a claim.
Nah. He's just trying to get one of his teams included in the playoff. Conference PR.

Reactions: Con

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
2/3 of the BCS were human polls, so I am not sure where people think that the BCS removed humans.
To me, the difference is that the human polls were a contributor to the BCS, whereas now the committee has the autonomy to forego any other statistical inputs if it chooses.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
There is only one way to fix this mess, rules for choosing top 4 must be in writing. Polls should figure in say 25% but the ret should be based in facts not feelings. Like win loss, strength of schedule conference titles etc. There should be a actual scoring 1-10 on those criteria so individual feelings are left out. If they did that then OSU with 5-6 wins never sees CFP this year and Texas A&M would be in. And lets be real they deserve it much more.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To me, the difference is that the human polls were a contributor to the BCS, whereas now the committee has the autonomy to forego any other statistical inputs if it chooses.
In this situation, they are unquestionably doing this. In the past they vocally cited quality wins, they also cited strength of schedule.

There really isn't a quality wins argument to be made in ranking Ohio State #4. Also, once you parse it through the number of games played there isn't a strength of schedule argument to be made either. So the committee, for a couple weeks now has basically said we don't care about the stuff we claimed to care about for the past few years. That is a big issue.

However, people wanted this and they got this. When someone tells me you have to change things I can't stand them like they are, and then they come back later and say I can't stand things now change them back... just hard for me to feel sympathetic.

Reactions: The Ols

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The FBS has too many teams and overall is watered down with teams who outside of a historical exception, will NEVER compete for a national title. The Power 5 conferences already have their own bottom feeder teams that simply were fortunate to already be apart of the conference before college football reached the level it has. We're too far down the road to start removing teams from conferences because of football incompetency. It is what it is.

However, that doesn't mean we keep making teams eligible that outside of a historical and rare exception, will never compete for a national title. I've always hated making rules, policies or standards based around an exception. It ends up causing more problems than it solves. jmo

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ols

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
To me the biggest complaint is that the Sun Belt conference went 3-0 against the Big 12, yet a two loss Big twelve team is still ranked ahead of all the smaller schools (and this being despite the fact that Iowa State was one of the three schools that lost to the Sun Belt and Louisiana beat them convincingly). I feel that is a legitimate gripe.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
I wish that the P5 would separate from the G5. To be enraged that Cincinnati is not in the top 4 as Aresco claimed is preposterous. He is either deceitful or clueless to make such a claim. They've had a great year for their world but they've not played one P5 team. Half of the SEC or more would also be 8-0 or 7-1 vs their schedule. He refers to Parcell's quote, "You are what your record says you are." Well that works in the NFL since all teams play the same teams or same caliber. That is simply not the case in college football.

The Committee was formed to avoid the stupid conclusions that can be generated from rigid computers when confronted by complex situations. The human mind is much more flexible and thus wiser in these situations. Thankfully, the Committee has not fallen into the same trap. Cinn and especially CC don't belong anywhere near the playoff. Put them in the SEC and Cinn would do well to go 6-4 and CC 4-6.

The G5 should be grateful to have a seat at the table. IMO, the P5 has been unwise to invite them; at least without defining more clearly their secondary status. Their prosperity comes from the context built by the P5, but rather than being grateful, they give heed to the siren cry of the grouchy, whining coterie of the Brando's, Forde's, Wetzel's, et al. of the world.
Best summation of our current situation. I agree 100% that they DO NOT Belong.

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
I wish that the P5 would separate from the G5. To be enraged that Cincinnati is not in the top 4 as Aresco claimed is preposterous. He is either deceitful or clueless to make such a claim. They've had a great year for their world but they've not played one P5 team. Half of the SEC or more would also be 8-0 or 7-1 vs their schedule. He refers to Parcell's quote, "You are what your record says you are." Well that works in the NFL since all teams play the same teams or same caliber. That is simply not the case in college football.

The Committee was formed to avoid the stupid conclusions that can be generated from rigid computers when confronted by complex situations. The human mind is much more flexible and thus wiser in these situations. Thankfully, the Committee has not fallen into the same trap. Cinn and especially CC don't belong anywhere near the playoff. Put them in the SEC and Cinn would do well to go 6-4 and CC 4-6.

The G5 should be grateful to have a seat at the table. IMO, the P5 has been unwise to invite them; at least without defining more clearly their secondary status. Their prosperity comes from the context built by the P5, but rather than being grateful, they give heed to the siren cry of the grouchy, whining coterie of the Brando's, Forde's, Wetzel's, et al. of the world.
Best summation of our current situation. I agree 100% that they DO NOT Belong.
I also agree with this. Cincy & CC would be mid-pack SEC teams. Some of the computer rankings are wildly wrong in my opinion on those teams as well. I was watching the ESPN coverage of the committee rankings this week, and they were showing their FPI based statistics, and had Cincy & CC both with SOR in the top 10. Supposedly, that strength of record bases how well a team performed against their schedule compared to how other teams around the country would have performed. So an example ranking of 6 would suggest that only 5 other teams in the country could have performed better. In my mind there is no way that only a hand full of teams could have done better than either of those teams against their schedules.

I think there are 5 or more SEC teams alone that would have a good chance to have a similar record to either CC or Cincy against the schedules they have faced.

Another aspect of computer rankings is the wild variations. If you look at MASSEY COMPOSITE COMPUTER RANKINGS, you see Alabama as #1 with a range of 1-5 depending on the computer poll. CC ranges from 1-47 depending on poll, and Cincy has a range of 1-37. Some of the computer polls are just ridiculous. Any rational person would say that CC or Cincy is clearly not the #1 team in the country.

Reactions: OSUTideFan

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
And go look at the BCS top 4...same teams. He just likes it cause it values Cinn.
BTW- I blame AU for this conversation. You had one thing to do Barn! Destroy UCF but Noooooo you had to go and throw up all over yourself.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
How about this? Let the committee choose the Top 3 and use a computer to pick#4.

Or expand to 8. Committee chooses top 6 and let the computers pick 7&8

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I would love to see Cincy get in at #4, and BAMA get to paly them in the first game. I know the record, but the talent difference is vast. Would be like the #1 seed playing the #16 seed in basketball. True, the #16 might have a great record from playing lesser competition. But, the #1 seed will most definitely have a great talent advantage. And, historically it is a blowout. Similar to Bama / Cincy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would love to see Cincy get in at #4, and BAMA get to paly them in the first game. I know the record, but the talent difference is vast. Would be like the #1 seed playing the #16 seed in basketball. True, the #16 might have a great record from playing lesser competition. But, the #1 seed will most definitely have a great talent advantage. And, historically it is a blowout. Similar to Bama / Cincy.
Alabama would be able to pick the score in that game. You could literally win by 100 if you wanted.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.