ACC and PAC 12 Demise seems close (FSU officially stating intentions to fight ACC Grant of Rights… Clemson sues the ACC)

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I just don't see the SEC or B1G taking a bunch of teams just for growth's sake. We will cherry pick and the rest of the schools will just have to figure out some LIV college sport situation.
Yeah more school reduce the share the conference pays each school. Any school will have to bring a big market share with them.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Soccer played today is really different than when I played (12 season) - it's way softer.

Soccer has followed the path of the NBA over the last 30 years.
Very true. But it still remains as the only true world sport and the athletes are pretty remarkable running 5-10 miles every match. I like their relegation setup as well which could also work well in any sport including college football. Man, I'd love to see Auburn relegated to the second division.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Very true. But it still remains as the only true world sport and the athletes are pretty remarkable running 5-10 miles every match. I like their relegation setup as well which could also work well in any sport including college football. Man, I'd love to see Auburn relegated to the second division.
Yeah, I'm not saying soccer players aren't fantastic athletes, just that the game has been so overly sanitized to accentuate scoring that the 'hard fouls' of yesteryear get a red card today. The physicality we enjoyed is lacking.

FTR, lacrosse still has it. It's a bit like hockey on grass - legit athletes playing physical ball.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don’t see the SEC or Big Ten taking on 6-8 all at once.

KY and SC are the only ones that sponsor men’s soccer. Nobody has men’s lacrosse, FL/Vandy sponsor women’s lacrosse.

I don’t see us adding either in the near future unless a Mr. Moneybags is out there that is a big soccer fan. Even then we’d have to add beach volleyball at the least.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
So who do we pick up in the SEC? FSU, Clemson, North Carolina and Miami? I wouldn't mind getting Georgia Tech, if for no other reason than they were in the original SEC.

I could see Virginia and VA Tech heading to the Big 10. They should pick up Pitt as well, just to rekindle the old Pitt - Penn State rivalry.

But none of this has to do with what makes sense in any fashion other than MONEY! Whatever makes the most $$$ is what's going to happen.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If Miami were to move to the BIG that would mean a nearly 3600 mile roundtrip for MN and Miami to play each other.

It's ridiculous enough for football, but what about non-revenue sports?

It's madness I tell you.

Rutgers to USC is even longer than that...:cool:

I really don't think the far-flung conference games are going to be all that they thought it would be.:unsure:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Seems like we’re headed to two 25+/- team conferences, with regional subdivisions — which would be pretty similar to the old days of geographically-centered conferences. The major difference would be no Syracuse / Boston College / Louisville / Oregon State / Washington State hangers-on.

And I’ll love seeing the Period of Adjustment for the ACC schools. Whether they join the BIG or the SEC, they’ll get their heads banged in for a good while, thereby confirming what we’ve been saying for over a decade….Clemson’s success was built on having a good team, but fewer than two truly contested games a year.

A big part of the challenge in the SEC is the grind. There are few to no walkovers, and over the course of a season it just wears on you both physically and mentally. There is simply no way Clemson, or Florida State before them, would have (1) had the gaudy records they did, or (2) been as fresh and healthy as they were at the end of the regular season, if they played the SEC gantlet.

Yep!

IMHO, the result of these mega-conferences is that the Commissioners will see that it will be un-manageable unless they break it down to conference size divisions.

The teams out west be be placed in a division themselves with a division championship and winner playing the East division winner. So, realistically, the BIG will be made up of two divisions consisting of two sub-divisions. The Championship games will generate a LOT of $$$.

If the SEC doesn't do it first...:unsure:

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
Rutgers to USC is even longer than that...:cool:

I really don't think the far-flung conference games are going to be all that they thought it would be.:unsure:
Besides the travel, do they think that Rutgers vs USC or Miami vs Minnesota is going to draw viewers? I could be wrong, I don't pay attention to the ratings for the games, but those matchups and others just don't interest me.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I would suspect the tOSU vs USC game played in Columbus will draw a huge audience and sell out the Shoe. That same game played in the LA Coliseum will not have the same appeal and draw. The interest in west coast football does not come close to the interest in the SEC and B1G. UCLA vs Rugers might not fill half of the Rose Bowl.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I would suspect the tOSU vs USC game played in Columbus will draw a huge audience and sell out the Shoe. That same game played in the LA Coliseum will not have the same appeal and draw. The interest in west coast football does not come close to the interest in the SEC and B1G. UCLA vs Rugers might not fill half of the Rose Bowl.
Those half cocked Rugers can be a problem though! JK

West Coast football is a interesting pastime while SEC/BIG football is a way of life.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It is wrt being a P5 conference, but keep goin'...
They may lose their P status but I don’t think either will completely go out of business like the SWC did. As long as the framework of a conference exists with an autobid for the basketball tournament they will have members. CUSA dropped down to five members last year but managed to rebound. The Big 12 has managed to right its ship after the loss of TX/OK. A conference with a better name like the ACC will always be around.

The PAC is down to ten and there are rumors about schools both joining and leaving but nothing concrete. I think they are shakier due to the scarcity of potential members in that part of the country.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They may lose their P status but I don’t think either will completely go out of business like the SWC did.
For all practical purposes, if they lose their 'power' status, they will being competing for last place. They simply won't draw the eyeballs they did with the land thieves and sexat, and eyeballs = dollars.

They'll fall further and further behind until they and what's left of the PAC12 probably form some 'super-conference' of whatever is left over in one last attempt for relevance before the almighty dollar speaks and only the B1G and the SEC remain as real contenders annually.

As long as the framework of a conference exists with an autobid for the basketball tournament they will have members. CUSA dropped down to five members last year but managed to rebound. The Big 12 has managed to right its ship after the loss of TX/OK.
As football dollars continue to increase at dramatic rates, it won't be long until more conference move like the B12 has, adding schools in one sport or the other, but not necessarily in both. Just watch the B12 viewership numbers drop in 2024 or 2025 - they will be less and less attractive for ad dollars going forward, because no one honestly gives a crap about the four G5 teams they added.

A conference with a better name like the ACC will always be around.
I predict the ACC will be dead before the B12 or the Pac12. Clemson and FSU obviously want out, and if the conference decides to distribute revenue unevenly, as some are asking, it will rot it from within, and quickly.

ACC has two good programs, they will be poached in a few years and it will finally be widely considered what it's been for the last two decades - a G5 conference with a couple of good teams.

The B1G and SEC have destroyed the other conferences. They may look alive right now, but in 10 years their conference revenue will be closer to the MWC than to the SEC or B1G.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wasn't the demise of the old WAC because of travel? That conference stretched from Louisiana to Hawaii.
For those who don't know the history, there's something interesting.

Tired of the NCAA in the 1950s and seeing them as inconsistent in who they punished, the Pacific Coast Conference collapsed in an implosion so full of rancor that the official records and files were stolen and vanished off the face of the earth. With air travel becoming a big thing, the powers of the PCC (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington) had meetings to form a 16-team conference all the way back in 1960, before the TV deals got so rich. This conference would have had those five teams plus the 3 service academies, Notre Dame, Penn State, Ga Tech, and five other big-name independent/scholastic schools.

The timing - had they pulled it off - was perfect. It was right as CFB was getting ready to head for TV and also when air travel between the coasts was becoming a thing. What killed it was the Pentagon didn't want their service academies to be part of something like that.

Had that happened, the original WAC (1961) might never have gotten off the ground in the first place. It is entirely POSSIBLE with the high passing offenses of the 1960s combined with TV rights plus segregation preventing games for much of the decade - that it all ends differently if there's a 16-team monster conference in the early days of TV with reach from coast-to-coast that includes Notre Dame.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I went to an Atlanta United game a few years ago (office bonding thing). It was boring and players kept flopping. I wanted it to just end.
Another thing I don't like about soccer is how most of the teams are something United. It is like Tigers in the SEC, and we know what everyone here thinks of Tigers.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Once this happens, the lesser conferences should go away. Sun Belt, MAC, AAC, WAC, and CUSA. Sorry, but allowing them a chance would be equivalent to letting the XFL, USFL, and CFL a shot at the Super Bowl.
They have to wear BIG BOY PANTS if they are going to compete in big time football.
IMO if they play much weaker schools to pump up their records, it does not equal playing larger tougher schedules.
THUS MY REFERENCE TO WEARING BIG BOY PANTS.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They have to wear BIG BOY PANTS if they are going to compete in big time football.
IMO if they play much weaker schools to pump up their records, it does not equal playing larger tougher schedules.
THUS MY REFERENCE TO WEARING BIG BOY PANTS.
They basically cannot - the P5 teams don't have enough noncon games to prop up more than a few schools trying to actually climb the ladder.

But as Pate says - pretending all 130-whatever teams are playing the same sport is ludicrous.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They basically cannot - the P5 teams don't have enough noncon games to prop up more than a few schools trying to actually climb the ladder.

But as Pate says - pretending all 130-whatever teams are playing the same sport is ludicrous.
Honestly I’m just tired of our student athletes being screwed out of scholarships because small schools outnumber the P5 and don’t want to pay for expanding scholarships to fulfill Title IX obligations.

Any move to kill the NCAA is a good move imo.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.