ACC and PAC 12 Demise seems close (FSU officially stating intentions to fight ACC Grant of Rights… Clemson sues the ACC)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
According to Outkick.com, it looks like it is going to be Colorado and Arizona that makes the first move. I thought it would be Colorado and Utah to go first, but if it is Colorado and Arizon I would be surprised if Arizona St and Utah are not close behind.

Here is the tweet that were referring to.
ACC teams to Big 12/24???

If ACC teams start jumping to the B12 I think there's a strong chance the SEC picks off the cream of the ACC and it goes the way of the dodo bird.

Reactions: cjhadley

cjhadley

1st Team
Jan 1, 2007
Brewton, Alabama, United States
ACC teams to Big 12/24???

If ACC teams start jumping to the B12 I think there's a strong chance the SEC picks off the cream of the ACC and it goes the way of the dodo bird.
Some of these conferences don't make any sense. The BIG 10 and BIG 12 have the potential to go coast to coast. To me, the BIG 10 is the most ridiculous, they go from New Jersey to Nebraska and then skip over the middle of the country to have teams on the west coast. I just feel like they are over expanding themselves and it will come back to bite them eventually and cause the conferences to breakup. The SEC has a large footprint, but it makes sense geographically and it allows the conference to be more stable longterm.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Some of these conferences don't make any sense. The BIG 10 and BIG 12 have the potential to go coast to coast. To me, the BIG 10 is the most ridiculous, they go from New Jersey to Nebraska and then skip over the middle of the country to have teams on the west coast. I just feel like they are over expanding themselves and it will come back to bite them eventually and cause the conferences to breakup. The SEC has a large footprint, but it makes sense geographically and it allows the conference to be more stable longterm.
I agree, and it seems reasonable the sport will get more eyeballs in short term from TV, but then collapse when fewer and fewer people want to fly 6+ or drive 24 hours for half of their conference games.
The NFL seems to understand this with their divisions:

Reactions: cjhadley

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I assume you've not read it (nor hav I - there's exactly one copy) but I've heard rumblings that if enough signees want to nullify, they can. If so, while it likely seemed an extraordinary thing to consider ever happen a few years ago, a lot has changed and we may well see an exodus.
No I have not read the agreement but how many is enough? I think enough has to be everyone. From a buddy of mine who is a Clemson fan, he told me their lawyers have dissected this thing from every angle. Of course if everybody agrees ,the conference is dead. I've worked with contract lawyers on several occasions, they always seemed overpaid, but when it hits the fan and you look at the document you signed, you may realize the money was well spent. A word here or there can make all the difference.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree, and it seems reasonable the sport will get more eyeballs in short term from TV, but then collapse when fewer and fewer people want to fly 6+ or drive 24 hours for half of their conference games.
The NFL seems to understand this with their divisions:

Yes, I like that the SEC is at least still southern and mostly southeastern. While Austin/College Station to Gainsville/Columbia is quite the stretch it's nothing compared to east coast to left!

And the addition of NC schools or Virginia schools won't change that much at all. Only thing that would is if ND came into the SEC. While geographically not too big of a stretch, it makes the least sense culturally!

Reactions: Tidelines

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Yes, I like that the SEC is at least still southern and mostly southeastern. While Austin/College Station to Gainsville/Columbia is quite the stretch it's nothing compared to east coast to left!

And the addition of NC schools or Virginia schools won't change that much at all. Only thing that would is if ND came into the SEC. While geographically not too big of a stretch, it makes the least sense culturally!
Somewhere in this discussion I hope one day they remember these are still KIDS playing at schools for KIDS. All the adults and the money will only spoil the game in the end. Most college age kids cannot fly across the country to see away games.

It would be a really NOVEL idea to interview the college kids/college athletes and ask THEM what they want for a change. I bet they want nothing to do with these power and cash grabs that they generally don't see any true benefit from.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Somewhere in this discussion I hope one day they remember these are still KIDS playing at schools for KIDS. All the adults and the money will only spoil the game in the end. Most college age kids cannot fly across the country to see away games.

It would be a really NOVEL idea to interview the college kids/college athletes and ask THEM what they want for a change. I bet they want nothing to do with these power and cash grabs that they generally don't see any true benefit from.
Yeah, but when the original SEC footprint was no more it started to become harder to drive to games on Saturdays. Vandy, MSU, OM, Auburn, UT (Georgia Tech), etc. was doable, but now it takes multiple days when you start talking about the other away games.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Yeah, but when the original SEC footprint was no more it started to become harder to drive to games on Saturdays. Vandy, MSU, OM, Auburn, UT (Georgia Tech), etc. was doable, but now it takes multiple days when you start talking about the other away games.
Yes, I remember riding a bus from Tuscaloosa at 4:00 am to get to Arkansas for an away game. It was not pretty, but we made it. Anything further would be flying territory.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
So what does this mean? Did SDSU find out nobody else wants them? Did they discover the Big 12 does not want them and the PAC ?? is about to die and somehow the MWC is the stronger conference?

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...m-mountain-west-wants-stay-league-source-says
I think the quote "it does not have an invitation from a power conference"says it all. There is a huge leadership problem with the PAC and I think SDSU is smart to read the tea leaves and stay put.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Big time athletics, i.e., CFB and MBB are not done for the sake of the average student. Several years ago some ACC schools were criticized for not having enough student tickets close to the BB floor. The donors were moved higher up...cost them money but it did improve the atmosphere.

When I think about it too much I as well am not really excited about what Division I athletics has and is becoming. But then I am officially old according to my grand children -- and they are really smart.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.