BREAKING According to ESPN, Lincoln Riley to Become USC Head Coach

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Bruce Feldman tweeted about this earlier today too. No one is closer to that program than him. Im not surprised he's leaving. Too smoke. Had to be fire somewhere.
What were they thinking?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He probably looked into the NFL first and found no openings so he took the next best option USC. He will use that position to jump the NFL bank on it.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
Riley is, in my opinion, soft. The whole season people have been shaking their heads at why Riley has been so inconsistent in game planning. If your O line is inexperienced, you dont keep asking your QB to drop straight back and get hammered, you get him on the edge with his quickness. I agree that he was scared of the move to the SEC. If you dont want to be in Norman, get your tail out. Someone mentioned Venables. I doubt he would want to come back where you got run off.
Good work yesterday.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He apparently has a variant of the BoB virus...

Riley is, in my opinion, soft. The whole season people have been shaking their heads at why Riley has been so inconsistent in game planning. If your O line is inexperienced, you dont keep asking your QB to drop straight back and get hammered, you get him on the edge with his quickness. I agree that he was scared of the move to the SEC. If you dont want to be in Norman, get your tail out. Someone mentioned Venables. I doubt he would want to come back where you got run off.
Good work yesterday.

Reactions: bamagradinATL

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
Good work yesterday.
@wishbonesooner
I’m sure most of us would love to hear your thoughts on OU’s next coach. Who would you like/who do you expect to it be?
I wonder how tempting it will be for Stoops after jumping in to coach the bowl game.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This is almost a lateral move or even a lower tier. Why leave Oklahoma for USC? The PAC12 sucks
I almost expect to hear a story about an attractive coed or something. Don’t usually see moves like this without being fired or “encouraged to move on”.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is almost a lateral move or even a lower tier. Why leave Oklahoma for USC? The PAC12 sucks
USC has more advantages and it will give him what he wants. Alot of rumblings coming out that Oklahoma and Riley had a Fisher and Florida State issues behind the scenes (facilities upgrades). Ultimately the biggest loser is LSU. Now LSU is the second best open job in the country. So the biggest winners are USC and Florida.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
From stuff I’ve been told from people in the know at Nebraska… don’t be surprised if Lane Kiffin and Jimmy Sexton push hard for this opening. From what I was told Kiffin told both LSU and Nebraska to not even consider him through middle men and that they believed Oklahoma job was in the process of opening up mid way through the season.

If Kiffin somehow wound up at LSU or Florida then it was going to be a near Harbaugh level contract from what they said, to which neither were ever going to pay. You can see it already with the names that were/are seriously being considered from both.

Again there is a reason Scott Frost is still at Nebraska and don’t think for a second that Nebraska didn’t have the money to pay the buy out and still be able to afford a high profile coach. Take it for what it’s worth

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I almost expect to hear a story about an attractive coed or something. Don’t usually see moves like this without being fired or “encouraged to move on”.
All pros, no cons on Riley's bailing - an Okie Grapes of Wrath migration away from the SEC and a Grapes of Wealth migration living large (and coaching easy/smarter) in the Pac-12.

Plus, after he whined when Aranda kicked a last-second FG a couple weeks ago, his Sooner man card was under further review while Cali's atmosphere of inclusivity and tolerance of "defenseless" crybabies will be more accepting...

Last edited:

scrybe

3rd Team
Sep 6, 2019
He's choosing the path of least resistance and going where 2-4 losses/season is acceptable. He'll make a lot of money and enjoy the good life in LA with a fawning press and media. I understand the decision, but I lost some respect for the guy.
I give this post five stars, d-man. And the part about losing respect for LR: that makes two of us.

Reactions: deliveryman35

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I have not had much chance to hear much yet. I heard Venables name, but I seriously doubt that one. AD Joe Castiglione has been quiet so far. We heard Riley didn't tell the team he was leaving, Bob Stoops gathered the team to break the news. If Caleb Williams doesn't follow Riley to USC, you can rest assured Spencer Rattler will.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Good work yesterday.
Bill O'Brien be like: "What is this witchcraft you speak of?" :ROFLMAO:

I agree, though. And as a OU friend brought up to me yesterday - Riley appears to have been really focusing on west coast recruits this year, has this been in the works all season? If so, it would explain how inexplicably poor OU has played relative to what most of us expected before the season started. Most everyone expected the USC job to open this year.

And I do think he's soft. I think he see the waters getting rougher in the near future and is running away from the challenge. Time and again we've discussed the type of man that becomes a championship coach, and generally speaking they're the type to run into the burning building, so to speak, not away from it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.