After decades of the internet, smart phones, social media etc. Why does this still happen?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know this particular story is sports related, but the overall issue is not. I get, when the internet, cell phones, social media etc. first became main stream, people not realizing the "real world" ramifications it could have on their job and overall lives. But it's been mainstream long enough now that I cannot understand why people still make these types of mistakes.

Owner Steve Cohen tweeted Tuesday that the Mets "have terminated Jared Porter this morning," less than 12 hours after ESPN's Mina Kimes and Jeff Passan reported that Porter sent graphic uninvited text messages and images to the reporter.
When will people learn?

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I agree everyone should know this by now. People can be really stupid. But I also believe there is another problem. We no longer live in a society where there can be forgiveness and a second chance. I am not saying that this person deserves forgiveness or a second chance. What I do know is that I have made many mistakes in my life and have been given a chance to redeem myself. For that I am very grateful.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I agree everyone should know this by now. People can be really stupid. But I also believe there is another problem. We no longer live in a society where there can be forgiveness and a second chance. I am not saying that this person deserves forgiveness or a second chance. What I do know is that I have made many mistakes in my life and have been given a chance to redeem myself. For that I am very grateful.
Nice post there, Todd......well said, buddy!

Reactions: The Ols and Toddrn

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Can't cure stupid. But in the current environment, for some reason we (society and powers that be) have to make a statement about things that happened at any point in the past that someone said or did and make sure that everyone knows "we don't condone/support/agree with/promote whatever it is they did" as if anyone would think that "we" would.

If you read the full details of how this went on, he asked her if she would like some pictures of him and he sent some, then asked her if she liked and she said, "yes", then he sent an R-rated pic and asked if she liked and I think she again said yes and then he sent the XXX rated one.

Not sure how you go from Nice to meet you to sending explicit pics a few days later without seeing the person again, but that's the situation he created and is now dealing with again.

anything you do or say or send that is digitally recorded just assume it will always exist.

I also agree with Dzyn that something is wrong with anyone who participates in this type of behavior especially with someone they just met and especially in a professional environment. It will come out soon if he has a history of doing this or if this is a one-off situation, but it's dumb to the core regardless. Sexual harassment tends to be treated much more harshly than other issues. I know if I were the lady's father, I would want to beat the guy over the head with a bat.

Last edited:
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I completely agree about forgiveness and second chances. Maybe one day we'll see more of that in this digital age of people demanding someone's livelihood be completely stripped away from them for any and all digital mistakes.

However, things that continue to occur in the digital/internet world like the Mets former GM is mind boggling to me. As some have mentioned, I don't know if something is truly, mentally wrong with people who do this or they're truly just that stupid. I had a friend and co-worker one time say "Think long and hard before you hit that enter button. The internet is forever."

Reactions: Elefantman

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I’m reminded of a phrase we used in my younger days, something along the lines of an excited male lacking the ability to think.

The actual wording was much rougher (and totally unacceptable on TF — cute hints included). But the sentiment is no less true today than it was 45 years ago. Probably no more than it was 4,500 or 45,000 years ago.

This behavior is not new. The public and permanent recording of it is.

Still, if you’re in a 7-to-8 figure job, especially one that has a high public profile, you gotta know you just don’t do that.

What a maroon.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I completely agree about forgiveness and second chances. Maybe one day we'll see more of that in this digital age of people demanding someone's livelihood be completely stripped away from them for any and all digital mistakes.

However, things that continue to occur in the digital/internet world like the Mets former GM is mind boggling to me. As some have mentioned, I don't know if something is truly, mentally wrong with people who do this or they're truly just that stupid. I had a friend and co-worker one time say "Think long and hard before you hit that enter button. The internet is forever."
I believe there are some people that really are that stupid. Others think that their position affords them the ability to do such things without any repercussions. Those are the ones that learn the hard way.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Well, youth and stupid (sorry for the redundancy) strike again on the digital highways. I picked up my oldest from softball practice last night and on the ride home she told me a young man at their school was arrested. Apparently, an 18 year old, Sr basketball player with more than a handful of scholarship offers to play basketball in college and a 9th grade girl, decided it was a good idea to make an inappropriate video and text it to some of their "closest friends". :rolleyes: Youth and stupidity know no boundaries... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Facepalm
Reactions: Elefantman

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.