Ah, Florida - words fail me.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Paywall. Can you give me a summary?
We have a Cactus League in Arizona because in 1947, the year that Jackie Robinson joined the Dodgers, a bunch of teams didn't want their newly integrated teams to have to deal with Jim Crow laws in Florida. Perhaps it's time to mention to DeSantis that the remaining teams bring over half a billion dollars into Florida during spring training.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
We have a Cactus League in Arizona because in 1947, the year that Jackie Robinson joined the Dodgers, a bunch of teams didn't want their newly integrated teams to have to deal with Jim Crow laws in Florida. Perhaps it's time to mention to DeSantis that the remaining teams bring over half a billion dollars into Florida during spring training.
No, I'm tired of people trying to drag sports into this. The guy who wrote that WaPo article doesn't care because it doesn't affect him. How about just let these baseball teams do there thing, support the communities they are in and fans. This kind of nonsense is why the Braves lost the All-Star game when the organization did nothing wrong, the players did nothing wrong and the fans did nothing wrong. The move didn't hurt the government one bit but, it did hurt local businesses and fans.

I mean, why just ask MLB to do something? Why isn't this journalist basically asking all companies and businesses to leave the state. Why pick on baseball? Baseball leaving the state would not hurt the people you want to hurt.

I can't stand DeSantis as much as anyone around here but, he wouldn't care. Spring training baseball is not on his radar and he wouldn't care about those communities either. His original attempt to take over Reedy Creek would have saddled the area with huge tax debt but, he didn't care.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
What are you so afraid of if more people vote?

Serious question.
I've been out of the country many times for 2 weeks. Now, I'm usually not out for election week, but I have definitely voted 2 weeks early because I was going on a business trip to Japan for close to a week. Add the preparation for travel, family responsibilities, general work, and suddenly a week to find time to vote starts to get hard. There's just no responsible reason not to allow extra time for someone to vote unless you just want to reduce the number of people voting.

We should be automatically registering people to vote, teaching kids how to vote/practicing voting in schools, and creating a voting holiday (move a current holiday) as well. Then get rid of gerrymandering and we would be back on the way to be the beacon of democracy we often pat ourselves on the back for again.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I've been out of the country many times for 2 weeks. Now, I'm usually not out for election week, but I have definitely voted 2 weeks early because I was going on a business trip to Japan for close to a week. Add the preparation for travel, family responsibilities, general work, and suddenly a week to find time to vote starts to get hard. There's just no responsible reason not to allow extra time for someone to vote unless you just want to reduce the number of people voting.

We should be automatically registering people to vote, teaching kids how to vote/practicing voting in schools, and creating a voting holiday (move a current holiday) as well. Then get rid of gerrymandering and we would be back on the way to be the beacon of democracy we often pat ourselves on the back for again.
But there are some who despise self-rule and the democratic process when it means they won't always get their way.

That's the bottom line with those in power, but they fool the rubes into being rubes for them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Quick anecdote.

I was a sales manager in Fort Myers in the early 90's when the company I worked for won the grow in/3 year fertilizer contract for both the Minnesota Twins spring training facility (run by Lee County) and later the Boston Red Sox spring training facility - it was called the City of Palms Park - and run by the City of Fort Myers.

It was a pretty big deal - lot of money involved plus the prestige.

Most of the product was drop shipped but I would make various runs out to each facility when they needed something in addition to what was being drop shipped.

I have a photo somewhere of me in my Dodge Dakota delivering a truck full of Rye grass seed for over seeding. :)

Reactions: Go Bama and seebell

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
No, I'm tired of people trying to drag sports into this. The guy who wrote that WaPo article doesn't care because it doesn't affect him. How about just let these baseball teams do there thing, support the communities they are in and fans. This kind of nonsense is why the Braves lost the All-Star game when the organization did nothing wrong, the players did nothing wrong and the fans did nothing wrong. The move didn't hurt the government one bit but, it did hurt local businesses and fans.

I mean, why just ask MLB to do something? Why isn't this journalist basically asking all companies and businesses to leave the state. Why pick on baseball? Baseball leaving the state would not hurt the people you want to hurt.

I can't stand DeSantis as much as anyone around here but, he wouldn't care. Spring training baseball is not on his radar and he wouldn't care about those communities either. His original attempt to take over Reedy Creek would have saddled the area with huge tax debt but, he didn't care.
I suspect he's suggesting that MLB to do something in this case because they've done similar things before (the aforementioned All Star Game). Also, spring training recently started, so it's kind of topical...

MLB is a business. And businesses put pressure on politicians ALL THE TIME.

As for Desantis, I suspect he would care a lot about the massive PR black eye he'd get from losing spring training--it would be far, far worse than losing a one-time event like the All Star game.

"That's a nice spring training league you got there, Ron...

...be a shame if something happened to it."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Quick anecdote.

I was a sales manager in Fort Myers in the early 90's when the company I worked for won the grow in/3 year fertilizer contract for both the Minnesota Twins spring training facility (run by Lee County) and later the Boston Red Sox spring training facility - it was called the City of Palms Park - and run by the City of Fort Myers.

It was a pretty big deal - lot of money involved plus the prestige.

Most of the product was drop shipped but I would make various runs out to each facility when they needed something in addition to what was being drop shipped.

I have a photo somewhere of me in my Dodge Dakota delivering a truck full of Rye grass seed for over seeding. :)
You mean like the super bowl? :) Of course, you just have three guys running around out there and not twenty-two running into each other...

AWRTR

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2022
What are you so afraid of if more people vote?

Serious question.
How would nine days of early voting including two full weekends with the Sunday included, along with absentee voting being available for military or other needs, such as, long distant working or medical issues limit voting?

Serious question.

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
How would nine days of early voting including two full weekends with the Sunday included, along with absentee voting being available for military or other needs, such as, long distant working or medical issues limit voting?

Serious question.
What most people want is to make voting as easy as possible without making it easier to vote fraudulently.

What politicians want is whatever will help them win. The R's have gone so far as to not care a whit what the people want. Rather they will do whatever it takes to win, even if that means sending a mob to take over Congress.

I've always early voted because my feet and legs hurt when I stand for a long period of time. In Tennessee, we generally get 15 days of early voting that starts 20 days before the election. That works great for me.

I've read where some Native Americans live 40-50 miles from the polls with no way to get there. These people need mail in ballots. Lots of people do.

Al long as it's a fair election, how someone casts their vote shouldn't make any difference.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Don’t get me wrong I love visiting norther California. Food is great, wine country is great, hiking is incredible.

Southern California is just no my thing though. I hate LA. I hear San Diego is nice, but I’ve never been.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Don’t get me wrong I love visiting norther California. Food is great, wine country is great, hiking is incredible.

Southern California is just no my thing though. I hate LA. I hear San Diego is nice, but I’ve never been.
for my previous job, i had to make a few trips up and down the san joaquin valley via l.a. and fresno and spent more than a couple of nights in bakersfield. did not like it at all.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.