AI pilot shoots down F16 Top Gun to win first ever USAF dogfight simulator competition

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Robot pilots are also able to 'think' creatively and quickly, with trials in April showing at least one AI-driven fighter jet flipping upside down before taking a shot at its opponent in a move many human pilots couldn't do.

The Air Force hopes that a fighter drone piloted by AI would be able to react faster to opponents, as well as conduct harder, faster maneuvers that would be impossible with a human on board, as they would overwhelm the body.
AI pilot shoots down F16 Top Gun to win first ever USAF dogfight simulator competition

• Wow
Reactions: seebell and UAH

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
A Chief of Staff of the Air Force (CSAF) said a few years back that the last fighter pilot has already been born.

Then again, once the inevitable financial collapse happens and nobody can afford AI and drones, we might be fighting with P-51 Mustangs again because that is all we can afford.
Or Sopwith Camels.
I wish...their kill rate is a lot smaller I would imagine...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Reminded me of the quote attributed to Uncle Albert...
Albert Einstein -- "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A Chief of Staff of the Air Force (CSAF) said a few years back that the last fighter pilot has already been born.

Then again, once the inevitable financial collapse happens and nobody can afford AI and drones, we might be fighting with P-51 Mustangs again because that is all we can afford.
Or Sopwith Camels.
Or kites with "frigging lasers" (to borrow a phrase from Dr. Evil) because that is all we can afford.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ai is the future of warfare, but keep in mind (buried at the end of the article):

However, the technology is not without its limitations.

'The [AI] agents that were well-developed at this point—they were able to handle very well the adversaries that were somewhat predictable or operating the way they had trained against,' Air Force lieutenant colonel Justin Mock said in an April video.

'But they struggled with those adversaries that did something even just a little different.'
IOW, they react quicker to programmed input, but they're not learning and solving problem in real time - yet.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I remember back in 1996 there was a poster of an proposed AI simulated dog fight on the walls of Hardaway Hall at Alabama. Seems this has come to fruition.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
AI planes are the wave of the future. Pilots are very expensive to train and keep. Humans are limited by G forces as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.