AL favored by 8.5 over Ole Miss. Is that too high? (Update 9/12/'16 - 10-10.5)...

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
I know they have a couple of people hurt, but given the way our O-Line has played, I'm nervous about a win. Given they won the last two years, and are at home, the line seems high. I'll settle for a one pt win.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: AL favored by 8.5 over Ole Miss. Is that too high?

I'm with you on the one point win. This game can go either way and I hate to think of losing to that cheating bunch again.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

According to early "smart" money, not at all

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Not really. Alabama has played two good teams and handily defeated them. Now is Ole Miss better than those teams? Probably, but if Alabama plays the game they are capable of it won't be that close.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

We were a -6 point favorite in 2014 and a opened at -8.5 last year too although it finally settled at -7. The number to me is irrelevant. It's going to be a tough close game.

We have to contain Chad Kelly and not give up big plays this time. On the flip side I expect them to actually play pass defense. We haven't shown ANY ability to consistently run the ball. If they put 8-9 in the box they are stupid. They can shut down our run with 6-7 man front until we see different. We are getting ZERO push on running plays. It's embarrassing.

But to answer the question I'd say -8.5 on the road with a TF QB not being able to hear a thing is too high. I'll do a backflip for a 1-point win.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

The only reason that this line isn't even higher is the 2 game win streak. No, 8.5 is not too high.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

Part of me knows we should be able to win with no problem.

Part of me is afraid something like this will happen and we don't.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I'd be nervous giving Ole Miss 8.5 points with the game being at Oxford. If our O- line finally gets its act together we could win by 14 points, but I think we will still struggle on offense. I look for us to win a close one, something like 28-24.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

No way they stack the box with their secondary. Their strength is the front 4; they must protect their secondary. Fl.St. could not run on them. Secret to the game for Bama is the ability to run the ball against man on man. Ole Miss only hope is to stop the run this way; their secondary can not cover man to man with Bama receivers.
We were a -6 point favorite in 2014 and a opened at -8.5 last year too although it finally settled at -7. The number to me is irrelevant. It's going to be a tough close game.

We have to contain Chad Kelly and not give up big plays this time. On the flip side I expect them to actually play pass defense. We haven't shown ANY ability to consistently run the ball. If they put 8-9 in the box they are stupid. They can shut down our run with 6-7 man front until we see different. We are getting ZERO push on running plays. It's embarrassing.

But to answer the question I'd say -8.5 on the road with a TF QB not being able to hear a thing is too high. I'll do a backflip for a 1-point win.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Taking to an informed OM friend, he's convinced Bama wins and it's ugly. And he's not playing opossum or trying to play down his own expectations - he's truly convinced that our strengths and weaknesses are the worst possible combination for OM right now. With their injuries and running game essentially non-existent at this point, he's genuinely worried that it will be an embarrassingly bad loss and is currently considering an 8-win season a 'vicotry'.

And he called OM wins the last two years.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Taking to an informed OM friend, he's convinced Bama wins and it's ugly. And he's not playing opossum or trying to play down his own expectations - he's truly convinced that our strengths and weaknesses are the worst possible combination for OM right now. With their injuries and running game essentially non-existent at this point, he's genuinely worried that it will be an embarrassingly bad loss and is currently considering an 8-win season a 'vicotry'.

i have had a feeling that our guys blow them out too. I was apprehensive about the last two against them.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

No, it's not too high. The line is based on Ole Miss has several players out for a while and that works to our advantages. I wouldn't worry about the OL line just yet. Seems like coaches were trying something different and the offense seems to be somewhat vanilla.. but we'll know more about our team after the game. Just keep your eyes on the line throughout the week.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

That is certainly possible. With our talent level, there is always the chance that we blow teams out. My big concern is their aggressive defense in a hostile environment against our young QBs who don't yet have a running game they can count on.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

We can't have turnovers and we must be able to run the ball. Ole Miss looked unbeatable the first half of the FSU game...not so much the second half.
I'll take a one point win in a second.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005

We can't have turnovers and we must be able to run the ball. Ole Miss looked unbeatable the first half of the FSU game...not so much the second half.
I'll take a one point win in a second.
I agree completely about the turnovers. That is how we lost the last 2 years. Hurts has to protect the ball, and if we can avoid turnovers, then we should pull away by the 4th quarter. The two things about this year that I feel much more confident about is our pass rush and secondary. Our pass rush really had not come together by the Ole Miss game last year. Kelly is certainly talented and can get on a streak, but he seems easily rattled if things start going against him. I would be willing to wager they don't attempt more then 10 runs by a runningback during the game.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

Feels high to me, given our inconsistency on offense. The Ole Miss secondary isn't good, but I think it's better than WKU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.