Alabama announces seating capacity, tailgating banned for 2020

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Alabama announces seating capacity, tailgating banned for 2020

A day after the SEC revealed who was playing when and where, Alabama informed its ticket holders how the ticketing process would work.

And as athletics director Greg Byrne promised, capacity at Bryant-Denny Stadium will be significantly reduced this fall.

Only 20 percent of the stadium will be used to meet social distancing guidelines, according to an email sent to season ticket holders Tuesday. The updated capacity of a renovated Bryant-Denny Stadium has not been announced but 20 percent of last year’s capacity is 20,364 seats.

Tailgating is also banned for 2020, the email states and masks are required for all those who enter the stadium.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don’t see the point of only having 20k and no tailgating. If you are going to have less than 50k and no tailgating then why not have any fans.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They are walking a very fine line.
If it is about playing then eliminate fans from attending. If it’s about playing and making money then come up with a number that is going to break even and turn a profit.

20k for 5 games is not going to make a difference financially for the city of Tuscaloosa or the University of Alabama.

Reactions: TideMan09

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
So will those 20K fans only be HOME team i.e Alabama fans in B-DS? No VISITING Fans?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LOL, 20K fans paying premium prices is better than zero.

And c'mon, you know the tix sales are nothing compared to TV money...
TV money would be there without fans in seats. My issue is that for all last month we heard how bad the local economies would suffer without football and fans. Which is absolutely true. 20k isn’t going to help the local economies at all.

If we are going to have fans then make it worth it for the local community, if we are trying to be super safe where we have limited interruptions then do like Every other sports league did and say “No fans”.

I think Tuscaloosa is about to take one of the greatest financial hits in the state over this, and next year going to Alabama games will be REALLY unaffordable in their effort to make it up.

that’s my opinion. If you don’t see it as credible then we can just agree to disagree on it.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I don’t see the point of only having 20k and no tailgating. If you are going to have less than 50k and no tailgating then why not have any fans.
$$$ Money! 20,000 fans per game will probably mean between 30 and 40 million dollars for the UA Athletic Dept.
That money will help keep many other sports afloat.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
TV money would be there without fans in seats. My issue is that for all last month we heard how bad the local economies would suffer without football and fans. Which is absolutely true. 20k isn’t going to help the local economies at all.

If we are going to have fans then make it worth it for the local community, if we are trying to be super safe where we have limited interruptions then do like Every other sports league did and say “No fans”.

I think Tuscaloosa is about to take one of the greatest financial hits in the state over this, and next year going to Alabama games will be REALLY unaffordable in their effort to make it up.

that’s my opinion. If you don’t see it as credible then we can just agree to disagree on it.
I see what you are saying - 20k isn't enough to really keep local businesses that rely on these games going. But isn't 20k better than nothing? It could be enough to keep them afloat, if barely.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
There's obviously the money angle but I also think they want to give an authentic game experience - so far as possible - for everyone involved. There is no TidePride penalty for not getting tickets this year so those that want to can try to get tickets. Those that don't, won't. I'm not sure what all the angst is about. As some have pointed out, there will be millions in revenue for UA and the community (gas, takeout, rental income, hotels, etc etc etc). These are not BAD things. The whole key to ALL of this is for folks to act responsibly. I know that's a big ask for some of y'all ;)

I would suggest if you're 50+ not going so you're not at risk. ~92% of the 145K total C-19 deaths as of 8/8 were >55 years old (as reported by CDC).

Everybody else who wants to attend? Go for it and act like an adult.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Yall think people will answer the required online questions needed for admittance in an honest manner prior to the Georgia and Auburn games ?

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
I see what you're saying, but they had to ban tailgating. If not, you would have 20K in the stands and 120K in the surrounding areas. All the bars and restaurants will be full, but hopefully this will limit the folks driving in to party around the stadium.

SirCedricCedric

Dec 31, 2018
Being in the late 50's, I op'ed out on tickets. With the limited seating I could be placed in the endzone upper deck. I would rather watch it at home.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.