Alabama announces seating capacity, tailgating banned for 2020

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
TV money would be there without fans in seats. My issue is that for all last month we heard how bad the local economies would suffer without football and fans. Which is absolutely true. 20k isn’t going to help the local economies at all.

If we are going to have fans then make it worth it for the local community, if we are trying to be super safe where we have limited interruptions then do like Every other sports league did and say “No fans”.

I think Tuscaloosa is about to take one of the greatest financial hits in the state over this, and next year going to Alabama games will be REALLY unaffordable in their effort to make it up.

that’s my opinion. If you don’t see it as credible then we can just agree to disagree on it.
I don't disagree with you - I just doubt the conference or the university is considering the surrounding private businesses one bit when determining what they think is safe. In fact, I'd be upset if I thought they were.

This whole thing sucks for businesses everywhere (trust me), but compromise is where we are at this point. It's not all or nothing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am hearing that Alabama's boxes will be limited to 50% capacity. Anyone know if this is true, and if those numbers are a part of the overall 20k allowed? Not sure how many box seats there are in BDS.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The only ones making money off 20k fans And no tailgating are the fans selling their Georgia and Auburn tickets and ESPN.
As is the new way of major college football. Actual fans in attendance is just icing on top of a very expensive cake. No icing, lots of people will still eat the cake. It's all about the Mouse. We are the United States of Disney.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I am hearing that Alabama's boxes will be limited to 50% capacity. Anyone know if this is true, and if those numbers are a part of the overall 20k allowed? Not sure how many box seats there are in BDS.
I doubt that anyone will publicly talk about this. If there is anything heard about limits in the boxes, it will be unofficial and "hearsay". If you have friends or colleagues who view their games in person and in luxury, limits might be "announced", but they won't be adhered to, strictly. Money talks, and the rest of us take the crumbs we can get.

Reactions: B1GTide

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Looks like hard core TAILGATING has been driven off campus. I look for a couple of campgrounds inside 25-30 miles to become hotbeds for TAILGATING.
Kind of a BIG SCREENS, BEER, AND BBQ thing.
(What Rules?)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Looks like hard core TAILGATING has been driven off campus. I look for a couple of campgrounds inside 25-30 miles to become hotbeds for TAILGATING.
Kind of a BIG SCREENS, BEER, AND BBQ thing.
(What Rules?)
I think you are probably right about that. Ban it on campus, and it will just go off-campus.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I feel for the businesses that will suffer and I'm happy that "potentially" there might be up to 20K stands in the seats (would be kinda weird without some there), but my main HOPE is that the 2020 Bama team is on the field and on the tube!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Unfortunately tickets can be resold to potential visiting fans, but it sure would be nice not to see that awful blue and orange in BDS!
Another question is how many of the 20,000 or so will be STUDENTS? I saw that 40% would be Seniors; 20% Juniors, 15% Sophomores, 15% Freshmen, and 10% Grad students. So are these per cents of the total 20,000 or a lower number with FANS having an opportunity to get seats?

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
So I opted out of season tickets for this season and just received an email from TP that I will received further instructions on Sept 8 on how I can get my donation and tickets refund. They get to hold onto the money from folks opting out for another month. It's no like they have made enough money over the years and their funds are evaporating.

• Thank You
Reactions: trenda and ROCKEE

bamafan76

1st Team
Sep 19, 2004
Kenner, LA
So I opted out of season tickets for this season and just received an email from TP that I will received further instructions on Sept 8 on how I can get my donation and tickets refund. They get to hold onto the money from folks opting out for another month. It's no like they have made enough money over the years and their funds are evaporating.
I too opted out as I have 3 season seats but could only request 2 for the mini package I would have chose. Between my wife and son someone wouldn’t get to go and that didn’t sit well with either!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No chance. High school football has started and based on the clips WSFA showed this morning, no social distancing and very few masks. Hospitalizations are actually on the decline in AL but, I expect that to go back up because of schools opening and sports. People really are willing to die for football in this state.
That is why colleges have to limit attendance. The fans cannot be trusted to do the right thing.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Same. We'll revisit season tickets next year.

CmdrThor

1st Team
Oct 29, 2008
Marietta, GA
I think the reason they are waiting to handle refunds until then is so they can do them all at once. People who are opting out can get a full refund, but everyone who is purchasing tickets will have to wait until they determine who gets which tickets so they can calculate how much is remaining. I'm sure this entire process is quite time consuming as well so it probably has more to do with staff availability than wanting to hold on to everyone's money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.