Alabama announces spring practice schedule, A-Day Game kickoff time

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Look at what he did with the quality of QB’s he had at ND, and how he handled the backups when they had to step up due to injuries.
Something is telling me he’s going to do as good a job as LK did. I don’t know who starts, but if he stumbles there will be someone to take his place.
Honestly, I’m more worried about improvement in both lines.
I feel pretty confident about the defensive line. We had good DL players last year, but the coaching just wasn't there. I think Steele and his supporting staff will get it done. The OL is a question mark, with several new starting faces. And we're really gonna need a couple incoming freshmen to step up and contribute. Here's who we have:
So. Tyler Booker - 6'5", 335 lbs
Gr. Darrian Dalcourt - 6'3", 310 lbs
R-So. Terrence Ferguson ll - 6'4", 318 lbs
Jr. JC Latham - 6'6", 335 lbs
Sr. Seth McLaughlin - 6'4", 301 lbs
R-Fr. Elijah Pritchett - 6'6", 312 lbs
Incoming freshmen:
4* Olaus Alinen - 6'6", 326 lbs
4* Wilkin Formby - 6'7", 320 lbs
4* Miles McVay - 6'6", 350 lbs
5* Kadyn Proctor - 6'7", 354 lbs
4* Roq Montgomery - 6'3", 332lbs

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Saban believes the QB position is up for grabs.

“I think everybody has an opportunity. None of the guys have a significant amount of experience. I think Jalen played one game, half a game where he really had to play game, and he made a lot of plays. He made plays in a different way than Bryce made plays.
“Ty, who made significant progress throughout the year but never really had much of an opportunity to play in critical situations in a game, is also someone that we think has developed and made a lot of improvement and has a lot of potential to be a good player."
CNS knows who the frontrunner for QB is already. The position being "up for grabs" is what he's supposed to say for the players sake and to promote competition between them. Many of us, including myself, believe there'll be portal entries after A-Day. The question remains "Who?"

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
CNS knows who the frontrunner for QB is already. The position being "up for grabs" is what he's supposed to say for the players sake and to promote competition between them. Many of us, including myself, believe there'll be portal entries after A-Day. The question remains "Who?"
That may be up to Rees. And I would think he needs all of Spring to evaluate.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
That may be up to Rees. And I would think he needs all of Spring to evaluate.
I trust in Rees cuz CNS does. I trust more in CNS. I do agree the "frontrunner" right now may or may not change until fall camp but most of us lean toward Simpson simply due to his time in the program. My hope at this point is that CNS doesn't let his seeming loyalty to the tenured overrule the best fit.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
Here are a few practice highlights according to BamaHammer.com.

Oats apparently has looked really good since shedding some weight. He is expected to make a huge impact on the dline and is considered one of the best dlinemen in the country.

Benson has looked great and might be our top receiver right now.

Downs is drawing comparisons to Minkah.... enough said.

James Smith has looked very solid as well.

And of course, as we all know the QB battle is expected to go into the fall and may not be determined until after the first game, both are expected to play alot in that game.

Oline is anybody's guess and all five positions are up for grabs.

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC

Oats apparently has looked really good since shedding some weight. He is expected to make a huge impact on the dline and is considered one of the best dlinemen in the country.

And of course, as we all know the QB battle is expected to go into the fall and may not be determined until after the first game, both are expected to play alot in that game.

No surprise about Downs. I think he is going to be an All-American at Bama at least 2 years. Benson is definitely in another class at wide receiver from what we put on the field last year. I hope Oatis is a difference maker because when you have a DT that can penetrate and you have the rush ends we have, look out. I think there are several o-line positions already set in stone. Even if Saban would not tell you that. Booker will be a left guard, Latham left tackle, McLaughlin center and either Pritchett/Proctor at right tackle. Right guard might be up for grabs. I will be shocked if Proctor is not starting somewhere in the first few games. Too good to not play and already has SEC body.

Reactions: Blindside17

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I feel pretty confident about the defensive line. We had good DL players last year, but the coaching just wasn't there. I think Steele and his supporting staff will get it done. The OL is a question mark, with several new starting faces. And we're really gonna need a couple incoming freshmen to step up and contribute. Here's who we have:
So. Tyler Booker - 6'5", 335 lbs
Gr. Darrian Dalcourt - 6'3", 310 lbs
R-So. Terrence Ferguson ll - 6'4", 318 lbs
Jr. JC Latham - 6'6", 335 lbs
Sr. Seth McLaughlin - 6'4", 301 lbs
R-Fr. Elijah Pritchett - 6'6", 312 lbs
Incoming freshmen:
4* Olaus Alinen - 6'6", 326 lbs
4* Wilkin Formby - 6'7", 320 lbs
4* Miles McVay - 6'6", 350 lbs
5* Kadyn Proctor - 6'7", 354 lbs
4* Roq Montgomery - 6'3", 332lbs
Where is James Brockermeyer the center?

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
No surprise about Downs. I think he is going to be an All-American at Bama at least 2 years. Benson is definitely in another class at wide receiver from what we put on the field last year. I hope Oatis is a difference maker because when you have a DT that can penetrate and you have the rush ends we have, look out. I think there are several o-line positions already set in stone. Even if Saban would not tell you that. Booker will be a left guard, Latham left tackle, McLaughlin center and either Pritchett/Proctor at right tackle. Right guard might be up for grabs. I will be shocked if Proctor is not starting somewhere in the first few games. Too good to not play and already has SEC body.
So far in practice clips it’s been Latham at RT, Booker at RG, Seth M at C, Dalcourt at LG and Pritchett at LT.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

HighlandOak

1st Team
Mar 8, 2023
I know who I'm pulling for.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Looks like James Smith might be getting some 1st team reps with the D-line. Not saying that for sure but this photo at least shows his been put with that grouping. Love when freshman push the older guys!

764BD28A-810A-4B7D-87B0-F7D97D101DF4.jpeg

Reactions: Tidelines

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Will be interesting to see if this is our week 1 line or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it was. The clearest opening is maybe Dalcourt's spot.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was 4 of those, minus Dalcourt, but that the spots shift around slightly to balance out the experience. In a perfect world we wouldn't have two new starters (Let's say Proctor and Pritchett ) on the same side, especially the left side, of the OL. It would be best to have either Booker or Latham swap sides and that way there is experience on each side of the OL to help in making sure the calls are known, etc.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Okay, here is some stuff that is NOT QB related.
5 defensive storylines to follow as Alabama begins spring practice

Also here.
  • D-line rotation
  • Kevin Steele
  • Outside Linebacker (with Dallas out this spring)
  • Inside linebacker (with Deontae Lawson out)
  • The secondary. Kool-aid is one corner. Terrion Arnold probably the other. Malachi Moore, Caleb Downs, Earl Little II the others?
I do not know, but I am looking for some angry young men on defense.
With a Lawson out I would think its a great time for Blackshire to step up. He had a thumper mentality in HS, I thought he would be along the lines of a Foster or Ragland . Something the defense has been lacking the past few years , but so far he hasn’t seen the field a lot. One would think his style of play would catch the eye of an old school hard nose guy like Steele, guess we will see this spring.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Appreciate the updates!

Great to hear about Benson standing out. Hope we can identify at least 1 more standout. Last year we really didn't have "that guy" to stand out and be a difference maker. Would be nice to have two!

Downs seems destined. He just looks like a great safety!

Also, besides identifying the next signal caller, I hope Reese and company can identify 5 maulers who can bring back some needed nastiness to our OL play again. I saw a tweet that said CNS is speaking positively that he believes the Oline will be able to help bring the offense some balance. I take this to mean he believes we'll be able to have a dependable running game identity to hopefully match a solid passing game too!

Reactions: Blindside17

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if it was 4 of those, minus Dalcourt, but that the spots shift around slightly to balance out the experience. In a perfect world we wouldn't have two new starters (Let's say Proctor and Pritchett ) on the same side, especially the left side, of the OL. It would be best to have either Booker or Latham swap sides and that way there is experience on each side of the OL to help in making sure the calls are known, etc.
Yup. Completely agreed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.