Alabama announces spring practice schedule, A-Day Game kickoff time

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
I think some of us are closing the book on Milroe a little too early. We've only seen him play really just 6 quarters of meaningful football. And all 6 of those quarters came against good, not great, but good SEC defenses. At the end of the day he made some good plays in those games and he made some pretty bad plays in those games...but we still won both games, so at the end of the day he held serve until we could get Bryce back. So it will be interesting to see how another year of development under a new OC, combined with some actual meaningful playing experience helps in Milroe's overall development and performance in this upcoming year. I think this spring is his make or break time....

All that said, while I do think we could win a national title with an improved Milroe and his skill set; I do sort of prefer what I think is the skill set that Simpson brings to the table. Meaning I think Simpson is more of a pass from the pocket and use his accuracy from the pocket to make throws into tighter windows on a consistent basis, albeit with enough athleticism to make some plays running and scrambling....sort of a Joe Burrow type. Whereas, I see Milroe as a guy that can stress a defense with his ability to execute designed runs and eat up big chunks of yards with his legs when a pass play does breakdown...but he struggles to be consistently accurate from the pocket so he uses his athleticism to create bigger throwing windows since the defense has to take his running into account.

I think at the college level both types of quarterbacks can win championships. My only concern with the more athletic but less accurate quarterback comes when you play some of the more elite defenses that will still present tighter passing windows even with the running threat of the more athletic guy.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I just really hope that we are able to keep both guys around for this entire next season. That is probably wishful thinking on my part but both guys will still have multiple years of eligibility after this season so we might get lucky.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I think some of us are closing the book on Milroe a little too early. We've only seen him play really just 6 quarters of meaningful football. And all 6 of those quarters came against good, not great, but good SEC defenses. At the end of the day he made some good plays in those games and he made some pretty bad plays in those games...but we still won both games, so at the end of the day he held serve until we could get Bryce back. So it will be interesting to see how another year of development under a new OC, combined with some actual meaningful playing experience helps in Milroe's overall development and performance in this upcoming year. I think this spring is his make or break time....

All that said, while I do think we could win a national title with an improved Milroe and his skill set; I do sort of prefer what I think is the skill set that Simpson brings to the table. Meaning I think Simpson is more of a pass from the pocket and use his accuracy from the pocket to make throws into tighter windows on a consistent basis, albeit with enough athleticism to make some plays running and scrambling....sort of a Joe Burrow type. Whereas, I see Milroe as a guy that can stress a defense with his ability to execute designed runs and eat up big chunks of yards with his legs when a pass play does breakdown...but he struggles to be consistently accurate from the pocket so he uses his athleticism to create bigger throwing windows since the defense has to take his running into account.

I think at the college level both types of quarterbacks can win championships. My only concern with the more athletic but less accurate quarterback comes when you play some of the more elite defenses that will still present tighter passing windows even with the running threat of the more athletic guy.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I just really hope that we are able to keep both guys around for this entire next season. That is probably wishful thinking on my part but both guys will still have multiple years of eligibility after this season so we might get lucky.
Milroe completed 50% of his passes in what little he played. I think he improves that significantly. How much though? I don't see him making 70%. Those legs though! Coach needs to find some way to get those legs in the game! If not at Quarterback, then the Wildcat or some TE variant. Milroe is a legit weapon. Simpson? We've seen so little of him. He looked good in that small sample. Who favored Milroe over Simpson? Was it CNS or BoB? And why? Then there's the incoming frosh who look good. It will be interesting to see what Rees will do with the quarterbacks. A-Day may be telling.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I think it's the "first impression" syndrome. Granted, if TS had more "game time film" we might struggle with the same.

But the fact is JM hasn't instilled us with much confidence in his limited playing time. Furthermore, he's looked awkward in doing so (thus my basketball "shooting" analogy).

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I read that Jase McClellan hurt his foot and will have surgery, but should be back for Fall Camp. Hope he does heal quickly. Seems he has had bad injury luck with the ACL and now this. I look forward to him hopefully playing at 100 percent in the Fall. RTR

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
I read that Jase McClellan hurt his foot and will have surgery, but should be back for Fall Camp. Hope he does heal quickly. Seems he has had bad injury luck with the ACL and now this. I look forward to him hopefully playing at 100 percent in the Fall. RTR
Feel bad for the kid. Some kids just seem to get injured more than others. Doesn't mean a thing about the kid. Just some bad luck. I will say Bama will be fine though. I think Miller is a stud and the 2 freshman can play. Plus, you still have Williams.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We had to change styles of offense to begin getting the elite WR's and QB's we have gotten since the days of John Parker Wilson, Greg McElroy, Blake Sims, McCarron, and Jake Coker. I would think to continue being able to get these types of elite skilled position athletes we need to keep running a lot of the same type of offense. Granted, we can do that and still put more physicality (via running game) back into our offense.

My point is, Milroe will be required to do more changing of his style than Simpson to ensure we are able to do this. I'm not saying Milroe can't or won't do it. But I highly doubt we are going to adjust our offensive philosophy to cater to what he currently does best and that's out athlete the defense. So, he has a bigger hill to climb than Simpson.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
We had to change styles of offense to begin getting the elite WR's and QB's we have gotten since the days of John Parker Wilson, Greg McElroy, Blake Sims, McCarron, and Jake Coker. I would think to continue being able to get these types of elite skilled position athletes we need to keep running a lot of the same type of offense. Granted, we can do that and still put more physicality (via running game) back into our offense.

My point is, Milroe will be required to do more changing of his style than Simpson to ensure we are able to do this. I'm not saying Milroe can't or won't do it. But I highly doubt we are going to adjust our offensive philosophy to cater to what he currently does best and that's out athlete the defense. So, he has a bigger hill to climb than Simpson.
I agree with pretty much all of what you said. I also agree with another poster that referenced having a package for JM. It could be a change of pace type deal.

One question that I do have is the recruitment of JM. I'm kind of wondering why we would have recruited a guy that doesn't necessarily fit our more current offensive system?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

It’s taken Mr. Hurts (the gold standard when it comes to this transformation) his whole college career and a couple of years in the NFL to reach the point where he is now. Should Milroe revamp his throwing mechanics, improve his accuracy, make better reads, AND learn to use his scrambling ability only if no one is open in just one offseason then he truly is something special.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree with pretty much all of what you said. I also agree with another poster that referenced having a package for JM. It could be a change of pace type deal.

One question that I do have is the recruitment of JM. I'm kind of wondering why we would have recruited a guy that doesn't necessarily fit our more current offensive system?
Because you can’t get his natural size, speed, and arm strength in a weight room or studying film.

You take these young men in the hopes that as a staff you will be able to hammer home proper throwing mechanics, reading elite defensive schemes, and processing that information quickly to deliver the ball to playmakers besides themselves. Being able to rip off a 70 yard touchdown run is a hell of a backup plan if nobody is open.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ugh, plus, IIRC, Roydell is out with an injury / recovering from surgery...

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

Other than calming down his nervousness, what does Milroe need to change with his style?

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Other than calming down his nervousness, what does Milroe need to change with his style?
Get quicker with his reads and processing what he sees. Some QBs can visualize putting the ball in tight spot and making a completion. Some just throw it. It’s not all athletic , a good deal of it is metal.

Reactions: UAH

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

What makes you think Milroe doesn't fit Bama's offensive system? Someone's opinion? Have you seen Milroe's high school video clips? He does have the ability to gallop for first downs and touchdowns. That much is different.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
What makes you think Milroe doesn't fit Bama's offensive system? Someone's opinion? Have you seen Milroe's high school video clips? He does have the ability to gallop for first downs and touchdowns. That much is different.
He isn't comfortable throwing the football. Scouts only need to see a pitcher throw just a few pitches in order to know if he has potential. Milroe doesn't have the throwing motion down as is necessary to hit receivers consistently over the middle of the field. He is an athlete and will always be in the mix but in terms of being a passer he has a long way to go. In terms of Ty Simpson he needs to grow up quickly and make a commitment to compete for the position. I question if he has the maturity and grit necessary to take the job.

I don't doubt that this board will have this QB discussion over the entire season and at least one of the QB's on the roster will enter the portal at some point in time.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Pocket awareness, touch on certain throws, keeping his eyes downfield when the pocket is starting to shrink, and pre-snap reads.
I'll add post-snap reads and progressions (kinda like eyes downfield, but he has to know where to be looking), and accuracy. In limited work, we saw him miss what would be easy throws for a lot of QBs to guys who were wide open.

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have nothing to add about JM that hasn't been said in the last few post regarding "concerns."

He isn't comfortable throwing the football. Scouts only need to see a pitcher throw just a few pitches in order to know if he has potential. Milroe doesn't have the throwing motion down as is necessary to hit receivers consistently over the middle of the field. He is an athlete and will always be in the mix but in terms of being a passer he has a long way to go. In terms of Ty Simpson he needs to grow up quickly and make a commitment to compete for the position. I question if he has the maturity and grit necessary to take the job.

I don't doubt that this board will have this QB discussion over the entire season and at least one of the QB's on the roster will enter the portal at some point in time.
I'm curious why you "question if he (TS) has the maturity and grit necessary to take the job?"

Is it just that he's only second year OR is there something else going on? All I've heard about him is his football IQ is really high with his father's coaching background.

I can tell you if Milroe and Simpson can't "figure it out", we have a freshman from Zachary, La that will gladly figure it out for them.
That dude has the physical skills the day he stepped on the practice field. The question would be how fast does he pick up the offense, understand/go thru progressions and get comfortable with the speed of the game to compete as a true frosh.

But if I'm JM or TS, I'm looking over my shoulder at this guy wondering when it will "click" for him???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.