Alabama basketball center Raymond Hawkins enters transfer portal

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I was excited when we signed Hawkins, he looked like a guy that could develop into a really good player. I'm not sure what went wrong with him. I believe we heard early on that he wasn't in as good of shape as he needed to be. I wish him well wherever he winds up.

Reactions: seebell

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not trying to start something or say this is a red flag, but I hate that this is an Oats signee. But it said he was late to sign so Oats may not have taken him under normal circumstances.

I wish Hawkins well wherever he goes.

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Not trying to start something or say this is a red flag, but I hate that this is an Oats signee. But it said he was late to sign so Oats may not have taken him under normal circumstances.

I wish Hawkins well wherever he goes.
Hawkins came because He had committed to Oats at Buffalo. Oats didn’t want to leave him hanging before signing day. CNO did him a favor. This wasn’t a regular signing. Oats is a high character guy. This should come as ZERO red flags.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
The obvious ones are:

1. Galin Smith - His minutes were limited and he just does not have the athletic ability needed to play in CNO's system. My guess is he will be a grad transfer to a smaller school. He seems like a good kid but just not a good fit.
  2. Kira Lewis - I can see him turning pro. I think he could improve his stock by coming back 1 year but I expect him to go pro.
  3. Alex Reese - I'm torn on Reese, but I have a hunch there will be a mutual decision made for him to grad transfer to another program. When he is on, Alex is a very good player but with his limited athletic ability he is probably player #10-11 given a normal roster of players who are a good fit for CNO's system.
  4. John Petty - I could see Petty turning pro. I don't think he will be drafted but I suspect he will either go to Europe or play in the NBA development league and hope for a shot at the NBA like Donta Hall. He would be wise to come back but IMHO he will leave.
Including Hawkins and Bolden that is 6 players who may not be back next season. We've already signed Keon Ambrose to fill Bolden's spot so that would give us more roster space to go out and get a few more grad transfer, juco guys, and/or high school kids that are better suited to play the style that CNO wants to play. I hope we find kids that are willing to fight, scratch, and claw to win games instead of wilting under the pressure.

So what are our needs given the scenario above? Interior guys that can not only move but are willing to fight for rebounds. Even though we have not seen Rojas play a game yet in a Bama uniform I expect him to be that guy that we see desperately needed this past season. At least one more that has his ability will be needed to go along with Davis and possibly 2 if we loose all the players that I listed (Reese & Smith). Point guards and/or combo guards are always going to be needed in CNO's system. Guys that can bring the ball up the court.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, Q, Davis, Shackelford, and who would be the other 2 starters? I think Petty comes back. So that would leave us needing another 3-4 who can shoot. Reese should have been that guy. But he either has small hands or his court vision is bad.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
So, Q, Davis, Shackelford, and who would be the other 2 starters? I think Petty comes back. So that would leave us needing another 3-4 who can shoot. Reese should have been that guy. But he either has small hands or his court vision is bad.
JQ, Shaq, Jones, Rojas are all potential starters next season. Forbes has shown flashes of being a good player so it is a matter of consistency with him. Same for Davis although I see him as a career backup guy and not a full-time starter. Gary is an unknown but I would hope he is a more athletic version of Davis/Smith/Reese. Petty could come back as could Lewis, Reese, and Smith. It's all speculation at this point.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Any chance Shaq declares? Cecil’s 5-6 seems like a big number meaning some unexpected departures would have to happen.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Any chance Shaq declares? Cecil’s 5-6 seems like a big number meaning some unexpected departures would have to happen.
Anything is possible but I haven't heard any chatter about Shaq declaring for the draft. He had a great second half of the season but hopefully he realizes that to come back next season he could be one of the premier players in the country and a much higher rated player by the NBA.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Anything is possible but I haven't heard any chatter about Shaq declaring for the draft. He had a great second half of the season but hopefully he realizes that to come back next season he could be one of the premier players in the country and a much higher rated player by the NBA.
I wouldn’t expect him to leave either. I was just scratching my head on how to get to 5-6

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
This is how we get to 5 or 6 players leaving, as Cecil states.

1. Hawkins (transfer)
2. Galin (transfer)
3. Bolden (graduate)
4. Kira (to the NBA)
5. Reese (I think Reese might stay now)
6. JP if he goes pro (I think he stays)

*I wouldn’t be shocked to see Forbes leave. I really want to see him succeed, but he is a prime example of someone that hasn’t adjusted to the college 3pt line.

***Here is what I think our roster looks like next season:

**Returning players that saw action this past season:

JP
Herb
Shack
Davis

**Returning players that sat out this past season

JQ
Rojas
Gary

**Players that we sign or have already signed

Ambrose
Josh Primo
Grad Transfer Big (remember the name Paul Atkinson. Ivy League player of the year)
Keon Ellis (JUCO Guard)
Saquon Singleton (JUCO PG)

That leaves us a roster of 12. If Reese or Forbes stay that will be 13. If they both leave I think we will bring in another Grad Transfer.

This would be a good roster. I also would love to see Kira back (I think he needs one more year

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.