Alabama fans no longer with us who looked forward to this day?

southernoutlaw

Mar 26, 2018
My father, Hubert Mannich, who took me to my first Alabama game in 1958 in Mobile vs. Tulane. Most of dad`s friends were Auburn fans! Beating Auburn was extra sweet!
I was 7 years old, and my father took me to the same game. Also my first Bama game. I would like to add my younger brother Tommy Luker. He passed away on Nov.18, 2022. One of the most dedicated Bama fans I have ever known.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My late uncle. He passed in 2011. Buster was a Bama guy until the day died and despised all things orange. He even has a beautiful “script Bama A” on his headstone.

The irony was that his son (who just recently passed) played freshman and junior varsity football at Auburn in the 1960’s, has multiple degrees from Auburn and was adjunct teaching faculty there.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Don Phillips...he was married to my father's first cousin and was a professor in the business school at UA. Passed away 2008. I always looked forward to a visit from them when I was growing up so we could talk Alabama football. I went with Don to the Legion Field games as a freshman and one of those was the 1988 Iron Bowl. Was a loss but good memories. I can never say thank you to him enough for getting Coach Bryant to sign a book for me just a little over a month before Coach died.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
My father passed away very unexpectedly on the morning of Monday September 11, 2017. Just two weeks into the 2017 football season. So he missed the national title of that year. His final Bama game was the Fresno State game in week 2 of that season. He was 73 so he had been a Bama fan since well before Bryant. He said to watch two guys named Devonta Smith and Najee Harris, because they were on the cusp of something special. He never got to see them fully materialize. Now, everyone on the team is someone my dad never saw play. He was aware of Tua, but only to the extent that he was, at the time, the backup to Hurts. I hate that he missed guys like Mac Jones, Jaylen Waddle, Metchie, Williams, and Bryce Young. The last loss to auburn he had to endure was the 2013 game. His last 3 Iron Bowls (2014-2016) were all wins

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
My father passed away very unexpectedly on the morning of Monday September 11, 2017. Just two weeks into the 2017 football season. So he missed the national title of that year. His final Bama game was the Fresno State game in week 2 of that season. He was 73 so he had been a Bama fan since well before Bryant. He said to watch two guys named Devonta Smith and Najee Harris, because they were on the cusp of something special. He never got to see them fully materialize. Now, everyone on the team is someone my dad never saw play. He was aware of Tua, but only to the extent that he was, at the time, the backup to Hurts. I hate that he missed guys like Mac Jones, Jaylen Waddle, Metchie, Williams, and Bryce Young. The last loss to auburn he had to endure was the 2013 game. His last 3 Iron Bowls (2014-2016) were all wins
He didn’t miss them, just watching on a bigger screen!

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
My Grandfather, My Dad, and My Uncle. All three Loved watching the Tide, and Got my love from them.
As a Side note, My Grandfather worked at AU as a painter for 25 years. He painted Coach Jordan's office every year, and wore a Alabama Tee shirt under his Painters blouse. Always left a few button open so CRSJ could see it. Loved that Man.

jcabama

1st Team
Jul 19, 2004
Bonaire GA
My Aunt Ann (age 80 at passing 18 months ago) was a rabid Bama (and Nick) fan. One of the two pics in her bedroom when she passed was an autographed 8x10 of Nick that was one of her more prized possessions (she didn't have many). She would often remark of what a handsome "feller" he was. She and I always talked at least once or twice every week during the season, usually on Sunday to debrief the previous day's game and then on Thursday or Friday when she would usually begin to feel nervous about the upcoming game and want me to calm her down! She and her daughter, my cousin, would often text back and forth with me during the game and always if it was close she'd want to know what I thought we'd do in the second half to get on track. She knew and loved the players and when watching the game would either praise or encourage them by their first name. She followed them loosely in the Pros, especially her most favorites (D. Henry, Minkah, Tua, Mac, and a few others) and even wanted to get a recruiting report before signing day from me though I confessed to her I didn't follow it that closely other than the ranking of the class. She would watch a game with enthusiasm and in close ones, she'd be exhausted by the time the game was over as she'd twist and strain to help the defense make a tackle or the ball carrier/receiver make a play--us south Alabama folks call it using body english! The last Iron Bowl we actually got to watch together was a sad one. She and my cousin came to our house (about a three-hour drive) for the 2010 IB and needless to say things were going well for a long while. Of course, when Cam finished us off, she was in near tears and I know the ride home was probably a quiet one that evening. Was glad that her last season to watch was Bama's best ever (at least in her eyes and mine). I have in my closet her Bama fleece blanket that she slept under every winter night. It's there to remind me of her every time I open the closet door. Since I lost both my mom and dad nearly 30 years ago, she was my "other mom" and my favorite fellow Bama fan. Football Saturdays haven't been quite the same the last two seasons since she went to meet her next favorite Bama coach. As she always said when we hung up the phone, Roll Tide!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
My Dad, some of you know him from the old forums, (BOL, BamaMag, TI), Most knew him as BamaRed or BR . He always enjoyed a victory over the CowCollege. I miss tailgating with him at the old Presbyterian church by the stadium(no longer there) .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.