Alabama football with Kentucky basketball officiating

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
how great would the last decade have been, and how many total national championships would we have, if we have been afforded the care that Kentucky basketball gets?

Imagine...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I can guarantee we would have won 2 more, at least, NCs in the last decade.

And imagine Kentucky hoops if THEIR opponents had been called for the fewest fouls in all of Division 1...

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Had a similar thought a few times this basketball season, there's a special hate and and officiating bias against our football team that you don't typically see for other "dominate" teams in other sports. I wonder how much that bias carries over into the officials of our games in sports outside of football.
Our football team is dominate despite the officiating, not benefitting fromit. I can see the parallel to improve our bb recruiting to help overcome the officiating.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
The "Kentucky basketball syndrome" is also very evident in Notre Dame and Michigan football programs. These two programs never seem to get as many holding calls or offensive/defensive interference calls that appear to get called against the Tide.

I notice the same thing with my football from the EPL in England. Chelsea rarely has a player booked or sent off and their schedule is definitely favorable to them. Arsenal to a lesser extent. Manchester City, on the other hand, have somehow managed to be drawn away to other EPL teams in all but one of the FA Cup rounds -- the exception was a team vying for EPL next season. The odds of such a draw is approximately 100,000 to 1. Arsenal were drawn at home to a non-league side which is something akin to an NFL team being drawn against a college varsity team.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
I notice the same thing with my football from the EPL in England. Chelsea rarely has a player booked or sent off and their schedule is definitely favorable to them. Arsenal to a lesser extent. Manchester City, on the other hand, have somehow managed to be drawn away to other EPL teams in all but one of the FA Cup rounds -- the exception was a team vying for EPL next season. The odds of such a draw is approximately 100,000 to 1. Arsenal were drawn at home to a non-league side which is something akin to an NFL team being drawn against a college varsity team.
Can you repeat that in English, none of it made sense to me?

...couldn't resist

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hmmm, we're 25'th on the list of fewest penalty yards per game, but no where on the list for fewest penalties. So, we rack up a bunch of short yardage penalties. It could be worse.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/697
Bama was ranked 25th in overall penalties per game (not awful): http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category14/sort01.html

Yet Bama's opponents all played near perfect games, causing Bama to be DEAD LAST in opponent penalties per game: http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category14/sort01.html

No bias whatsoever - Bama just happened to play virtually mistake free teams week in and out...

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
how great would the last decade have been, and how many total national championships would we have, if we have been afforded the care that Kentucky basketball gets?

Imagine...
I know of at least one lineman down field call we would have gotten against auburn.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I guarantee you most opposing fans would say Alabama football has always gotten the "Kentucky basketball" treatment from the refs.
They would say that but the stats don't back that up. UK basketball on the other hand ranks around 200 or so (out of like 347 teams) in personal fouls per game. UK ranks #1 (big surprise) in opponent personal fouls per game. That tells you all you need to know right there.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oh I know the stats. I'm saying they won't care, will ignore them, or give some nonsense reason why they aren't relevant.

I can't remember the exact phrasing he used, but Cole Cubelic stated last year that opposing offenses were flagged for holding so little against Alabama's defense because our DL was so technically sound that the OLs weren't getting chance to hold the DL. That's right. It was the fault of Alabama's excellence that we didn't get any holding penalties called on our opponents over the past 2 years. Now, I don't think Cole said that because he played at Auburn. I get the logic behind it. However, it would take very little time watching game film to realize we were getting held every game all game and it went uncalled 99.999% of the time.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
The reason holding is allowed against Alabama. (I thought someone was going to get seriously injured before this was over) We may have had the best team that year if we'd been healthy all year long.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.