Alabama Hires David Ballou as New Strength and Conditioning Coach

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
2018 article on Ballou

“It's training the nervous system to be able to fire from the joint angles that they use out on the field,” Ballou said. “You mimic the joint angles they use in their position and their change of direction.”

“We’re not so much predicting injuries,” Rhea said. “More so predicting elevated risk for injuries.”

“Peak power is measuring explosive capability,” Ballou said. “That’s what’s going to show up out here. If you go to a 500(-pound) to a 550(-pound) squat, but peak power didn’t change, then you’re not gonna be any better.”

“We know contact off the line of scrimmage happens as fast as 0.45 seconds, between O- and D-lineman,” Ballou said. “If our guys can produce their peak power in 0.45 seconds, we’re gonna have a chance off the line of scrimmage. Whereas if you’ve got a guy that squats 700 pounds, but it takes him 0.7 seconds to get to his peak power, the other dude is into him, and he’s going to lose.”

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Remember the clip of Coach Saban on the sideline, when we successfully completed the onside kick against Clemson?

Can someone post it?...because it’s quite appropriate at the moment!!!

All you haters and trolls can “Kiss my Grits” 😜

OneManBamaFan

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 30, 1999
Robertsdale, Alabama,USA
I think Bama might realize the impact he has quicker than the writer of that article thinks...………..
If his system is put in place within a couple of weeks you will see major improvements by the start of fall practice. It only take a few weeks to train your body to do things differently and your body will react almost immediately. True it will take a good year for us to see the full impact but we will have a good idea about his system by the fall.

Reactions: NCRollTider and Con

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If his system is put in place within a couple of weeks you will see major improvements by the start of fall practice. It only take a few weeks to train your body to do things differently and your body will react almost immediately. True it will take a good year for us to see the full impact but we will have a good idea about his system by the fall.
I agree...…...…...the immediate effect should be somewhat noticeable, and next year it really will. With no major injuries during the season ( hopefully none!), that cant be held over Bama's head anymore during recruiting

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm gonna throw this out to anyone who is listening. This whole thing felt like pre-planned from the beginning. I have so many questions to ask and it probably won't get answered either on here or whatever, and I'm okay with that. My questions is this:

1. Since SC made it known to Saban that He wanted to get on the field and he knew he wasn't ready, so He started planning for potential opening spot for someone to take SC spot? Maybe he knew for two years and told Scott to check around and etc. Meanwhile Saban reached out to Ballou and Rhea to see what would be required to get their interest in coming to Alabama?

2. It's no coincidence that they happened to build a facility.. what prompted that? who gave Saban an idea? Was it Jeff Allen?

3. Speaking of Allen, Does it seem like Allen and Amy Braggs were the one who came up with new creative ways while Scott was the one who had outdated methods and wasn't willing change and that maybe rubbed some of folks wrong way?

4. This is cutting edge folks, I'm willing to bet that Georgia and Clemson will get on that within two years.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Can we really draw that conclusion at this point? I hope he turns out to be just that, but I don’t think anyone can be absolutely sure right now. I’m curious—what exactly do those of you saying this find on his resume that is so impressive?
You haven't looked at youtube video and what he did with the team at his last stop.....

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
“We’re not so much predicting injuries,” Rhea said. “More so predicting elevated risk for injuries.”

“Peak power is measuring explosive capability,” Ballou said. “That’s what’s going to show up out here. If you go to a 500(-pound) to a 550(-pound) squat, but peak power didn’t change, then you’re not gonna be any better.”

“We know contact off the line of scrimmage happens as fast as 0.45 seconds, between O- and D-lineman,” Ballou said. “If our guys can produce their peak power in 0.45 seconds, we’re gonna have a chance off the line of scrimmage. Whereas if you’ve got a guy that squats 700 pounds, but it takes him 0.7 seconds to get to his peak power, the other dude is into him, and he’s going to lose.”
Sounds like it will be a new day around here, with that elusive "Bama factor" coming back home.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I confess. I don't know anything about
David Ballou. I read the little on here about him, but that's not enough information. What kind of guy is he? Is he Demonstrative?
Will he make our team, a lean mean fighting/playing machine?
(My apologies to fans of 'STRIPES'...)
Is David someone who might come for the long haul? Is he a guy who will work our guys hard?
What kind of body does he want to build?

There are lot more things I want to know, but I don't know enough right now to ask the right questions.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I confess. I don't know anything about
David Ballou. I read the little on here about him, but that's not enough information. What kind of guy is he? Is he Demonstrative?
Will he make our team, a lean mean fighting/playing machine?
(My apologies to fans of 'STRIPES'...)
Is David someone who might come for the long haul? Is he a guy who will work our guys hard?
What kind of body does he want to build?

There are lot more things I want to know, but I don't know enough right now to ask the right questions.
From what I've read he's not demonstrative, which I like.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.