Alabama loses great fan, a wonderful mentor to me

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Three weeks ago, my company’s Chairman (former President and CEO from 1997 thru earlier this year) passed away from a year long battle with cancer. As I told him in July, he was the guy who made me see a different side of the University of Alabama when he invited me to be part of a small group entertaining clients at the 2015 LSU Alabama game. Alabama was always on my son’s radar, but we hadn’t scheduled a visit. The weather was terrible that day, but Mike proudly showed off the campus and told me all about it. He remained active in his college fraternity. I still remember going home and telling my son, “If you choose Alabama, you’ll have a great experience”. Son 1 enrolled the following fall.

Mike was the proud owner of 4 zone tickets. He gave me all 4 and two additional ones to enjoy family weekend with my son’s roommates parents. He was that kind of man. I worked for and with him for 23 years. We became friends. He would text me for restaurant recommendations when he would come to Nola. I was originally a contractor working for him, but he wanted to hire me and the department I was managing. That was accomplished 10:years ago. His belief in me and my abilities has made an enormous difference in my life.

We had a wonderful celebration of life for him last week at the office in Mobile, but I could only attend virtually from Texas. I proudly wore a UA hat during it, as we were all encouraged to wear crimson.

You will love the end of his obit, “Mike will be deeply missed by everyone whose lives he touched. And so, as he would say in moments of happiness and sorrow; in victory and defeat; for greetings, farewells and everything in between, "Roll Tide." RIP my friend.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Keep his memory strong, pass on his wisdom and outlook to others. When doing nice things for people, reflect for a moment and say "Mike would have approved of this!".

I do this today, occasionally, in memory of my granddad!!!
I have several people I think about when on the fence “What would Tony, Dick or Kimble do?”

It’s a great way to stay connected even if you’re geographically separated.

Reactions: LSUgrad2BamaDad

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is always hard to lose a friend and mentor. I imagine everyone on Tidefans has had a mentor who shaped the trajectory of his/her life. Being his friend was icing on the cake. Rest In Peace.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Thank you for your likes and replies. Truly means a lot.

@Bama_N_Va I was able to say a few words, via Zoom, about Mike at the celebration last week. I outlined 3 of his traits - Humilty, Kindness, and appreciation. I suggested we all try to emulate that and by doing so, we make the world a better place.

also forgot to add that Mike held both an undergrad degree and law degree from UA.

Thanks again and go kick some gator tail!

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Rarely anymore do we come across a person who can proudly embrace the things in life they are passionate about…..and live them out with humility and grace, instead of arrogance and condescension…..
Respect can never be commanded…..only earned.

I’m glad you had the opportunity to have someone In your life worthy of your respect. His legacy will live on in your heart, as well as the hearts of those who were fortunate enough to know him.

Blessings,
-joel

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Rarely anymore do we come across a person who can proudly embrace the things in life they are passionate about…..and live them out with humility and grace, instead of arrogance and condescension…..
Respect can never be commanded…..only earned.

I’m glad you had the opportunity to have someone In your life worthy of your respect. His legacy will live on in your heart, as well as the hearts of those who were fortunate enough to know him.

Blessings,
-joel
That’s poetry masquerading as prose, BearFoot. Well written!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
What an uplifting tribute to Mike….

An LSU fan, who is a valued member, comes on an Alabama board to pay tribute to a friend and mentor who helped shape his career and life in a highly positive way.

The mentor is not known to any of our members, but immediately gains the respect and admiration of the members, even though he is no longer with us, because of the respect and affection he commanded from the LSU fan member.

This is an object lesson in two things:
First, and far more important, living life in a classy way, supporting others, and providing leadership (as Mike did) will live on long after your time on earth is over.

Second, TF members, regardless of who they root for, are an awesome collection of humans.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
What an uplifting tribute to Mike….

An LSU fan, who is a valued member, comes on an Alabama board to pay tribute to a friend and mentor who helped shape his career and life in a highly positive way.

The mentor is not known to any of our members, but immediately gains the respect and admiration of the members, even though he is no longer with us, because of the respect and affection he commanded from the LSU fan member.

This is an object lesson in two things:
First, and far more important, living life in a classy way, supporting others, and providing leadership (as Mike did) will live on long after your time on earth is over.

Second, TF members, regardless of who they root for, are an awesome collection of humans.
I nominate this for sermon of the week...I can skip church now...no, I've got to usher.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.