Alabama officially approves Nick Saban's contract extension through 2028

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I expect CNS to coach several more years (as his health allows). He always talks about being a part of a team and watching the ducks at the lake doesn't seem to appeal to him.

However, I'm already dreading the time when we have to name a new coach. I dread it for our fan base. If you remember UA replacing (wrong word cause you don't replace CPB or CNS) Coach Bryant then multiply that by a billion and that's what it'll be like in the age of the internet and social media. Whew...makes me tired to even think of it.
I might have to take a 'temporary retirement' from sports myself.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Honestly, I started preparing like every season was his last after 2015. That way I'm pleasantly surprised every year when he comes back.

When he does finally leave I think my overwhelming feeling will be gratitude. It's hard for me to worry too much about who is next when we've experienced the greatest high in the history of the sport since he took over.

My NFL team has long been in the dumps so I think/hope I'm prepared for whatever happens after CNS

Reactions: Padreruf

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Honestly, I started preparing like every season was his last after 2015. That way I'm pleasantly surprised every year when he comes back.

When he does finally leave I think my overwhelming feeling will be gratitude. It's hard for me to worry too much about who is next when we've experienced the greatest high in the history of the sport since he took over.

My NFL team has long been in the dumps so I think/hope I'm prepared for whatever happens after CNS
It's not that I "worry" about it, but I live with the expectation that when it happens it won't be fun.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's not that I "worry" about it, but I live with the expectation that when it happens it won't be fun.
For sure, and my comment wasn't really directed at you FWIW. Just more commenting on where I stand with it now.

But you're correct it definitely won't be fun. And threads on here and conversations on social media will be a mess

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
His grandson is what 1 now? We have a few years before he wants to retire to go coach PeeWee football.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If he says '28 is the end of his career, he'll either be retired well before then, or sign another extension. The impact of recruiting in '27, '26, and possibly '25 would be catastrophic.
I mean, CNS has gotten a contract extension about every other year since first coming to Bama - as soon as he doesn't sign another one the negative recruiting will intensify.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saban has had a $0 buyout, beginning with his first contract in Tuscaloosa.

I don’t see him sticking around too long (Bobby Bowden), as he would demand too much of himself to do that. In effect, he has a contract lasting until he decides he can’t live up to his own standards.

I’ve been saying 3 years for about 7 years now, so I clearly don’t have anything approaching a clue.

One sad day, that will happen. Until then, and afterward, I’ll be eternally grateful.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I mean, he's a good coach.
I suppose. I mean he is competent and his teams usually finish in the Top 10-15 on average.

I think it's the whole 'he's good but gets payed a Top 2-3 Salary' that people (me included) scoff at.

Of course that's nowhere near as egregious as Michigan paying Harbaugh Top 2-3 money when he's not even a 'good' coach.

EDIT: You know what, Jimbo and Harbaugh are closer to each other than I would have imagined in the Win column.

Jimbo: 109-33 w/ 3 Conf Titles, 1 NC, and (3) Top-5 Finishes (5) Top-10 Finishes

Harbaugh: 107-49 w/ 1 Co-Division Title and (1) Top-5 Finishes (2) Top-10 Finishes

Either way though it's mind blowing that either guy makes money in the ball park of CNS....

CNS: 256-65-1 w/ 9 Conf Titles, 7 NC's, (10) Top - 5 Finishes (15) Top-10 Finishes *13 Straight*

Alabama is getting a STEAL of a bargain, while Michigan and Texas A&M are being Robbed eyes wide open.

Reactions: Con

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think it's the whole 'he's good but gets payed a Top 2-3 Salary' that people (me included) scoff at.
I guess. I mean, I don't know how many guys I'd rank above him if I were making a list of people who can run a major program successfully. There aren't many coaches with the hardware to be in the discussion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess. I mean, I don't know how many guys I'd rank above him if I were making a list of people who can run a major program successfully. There aren't many coaches with the hardware to be in the discussion.
I would take him ahead of Dabo - probably most college head coaches. He isn't Saban - but no one is.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Jimbo is getting way too much mileage out of the 1 NC that he was probably lucky to win in the 1st place.

I think on a consistent basis he would get beat by and out performed by...

Saban, Day, Dabo, Riley and maybe even Kirby

So I guess I would Rank him 5th or 6th

Jmo of course and I could be wrong. I've just never been overly impressed by the guy.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I mean, CNS has gotten a contract extension about every other year since first coming to Bama - as soon as he doesn't sign another one the negative recruiting will intensify.
I'd be willing to bet that a successor, and a good one at that, will be chosen well before Saban decides to leave.................and Saban will have a large hand in who gets chosen, i'd also bet

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jimbo is getting way too much mileage out of the 1 NC that he was probably lucky to win in the 1st place.

I think on a consistent basis he would get beat by and out performed by...

Saban, Day, Dabo, Riley and maybe even Kirby

So I guess I would Rank him 5th or 6th

Jmo of course and I could be wrong. I've just never been overly impressed by the guy.
Maybe, but he wins, and he wins in the SEC West. That is pretty remarkable. If not for Alabama last year, they might have won the CFP.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Maybe, but he wins, and he wins in the SEC West. That is pretty remarkable. If not for Alabama last year, they might have won the CFP.
If Alabama doesn't exist they would have won the West and maybe the SEC if they can beat Fla a 2nd time.

tOSU would have absolutely smashed them though. Clemson beats them too I think.

I'd only pick Texas A&M over ND from last year's Final Four and that's not saying much really.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.