Alabama QBs in 2024, II

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Also a team that was clearly flawed from a number of standpoints, including QB, came together won the SEC and came very close to playing for a National Championship. I mean, seems to me that Saban handled the situation really well and we probably overachieved.
After putting up with Pete Golding for five years, the expectations for last year's defense with Steele were probably overachieved. The offense was clearly underachieving. I put the blame on the coaching staff for that. The one coach that way over achieved that did more with less look no farther than Coach Nate Oats on the basketball forum.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Also a team that was clearly flawed from a number of standpoints, including QB, came together won the SEC and came very close to playing for a National Championship. I mean, seems to me that Saban handled the situation really well and we probably overachieved.
I mean Alabama last year was by many metrics the most talented team in history. Not just at Alabama but in CFB history. Talent can cover up alot of flaws and warts but it still doesn’t beat a team that is more committed to being a team 9/10. Michigan beat us because they were a team whereas we were individuals.

Saban’s philosophy after 18 changed from getting ace position coaches to getting ace recruiters. You can see it with Golding and the never ending revolving door of position coaches coming in and leaving after one year. Aside from 2020… we were mostly relying on 2-3 players the whole game out of 22. Sometimes just even just one.

As for why we won the SEC last year… Well for one we played a bad schedule aside from Texas and for two Georgia outsmarted themselves and were kinda handcuffed on offense due to major injuries. It was an impressive win but let’s stop acting like it was the miracle on ice or a top 10 Saban win. But if you want to see how Milroe being the quarterback is not a huge factor in that game. Consider this… the biggest play of that game is a fumble on an exchange by Beck. We are up 17-10 and on their 11. We get just one yard and settle for a FG. A touchdown basically puts the game away because it would’ve forced Georgia to get aggressive on offense. But we had a difficult time all year with goal line offense. My point is that we really won that game because the defense kept Georgia under 30 and allowed our offense to score within their range of points to have a chance to win.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I guess because there are no facts or public comments from the people involved. Call me a stickler but facts far outweigh heresay. I know we have some posters who are in the REC or have contacts that they have heard this or that but until I see the facts from the folks involved I can't believe it. I will change my tune when I do.
Just open your eyes, it’s right there.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I mean Alabama last year was by many metrics the most talented team in history. Not just at Alabama but in CFB history. Talent can cover up alot of flaws and warts but it still doesn’t beat a team that is more committed to being a team 9/10. Michigan beat us because they were a team whereas we were individuals.

Saban’s philosophy after 18 changed from getting ace position coaches to getting ace recruiters. You can see it with Golding and the never ending revolving door of position coaches coming in and leaving after one year. Aside from 2020… we were mostly relying on 2-3 players the whole game out of 22. Sometimes just even just one.

As for why we won the SEC last year… Well for one we played a bad schedule aside from Texas and for two Georgia outsmarted themselves and were kinda handcuffed on offense due to major injuries. It was an impressive win but let’s stop acting like it was the miracle on ice or a top 10 Saban win. But if you want to see how Milroe being the quarterback is not a huge factor in that game. Consider this… the biggest play of that game is a fumble on an exchange by Beck. We are up 17-10 and on their 11. We get just one yard and settle for a FG. A touchdown basically puts the game away because it would’ve forced Georgia to get aggressive on offense. But we had a difficult time all year with goal line offense. My point is that we really won that game because the defense kept Georgia under 30 and allowed our offense to score within their range of points to have a chance to win.
Sure. But we didn't have a center or a LT and had a very good but not truly elite defense though they were elite at times. And had 3QBs who by all reports were flawed.

Recruiting metrics are nice but this team was not the most talented team of all time.

I am not saying we had a good offense. I'm saying with what we had at key positions we probably overachieved as a team.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Doubters only remember what suits them.

The sweat off the starters of last year’s team had more athleticism and talent than some SEC rosters and somehow people think last year wasn’t a let down.

I appreciate what you put out here, thank you for pulling the curtain back a little.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Because the story doesn't make sense at all. It's illogical. Brooks was benched for doing what allegedly the OL and some other "skill players" were doing but 2 of the mains skill players of the season also transferred/chose Ty for their pro day. So the skill player we have a story on is a guy who had 3 catches all season. Clearly he wasn't the one making Saban do anything.

But also Buchner who I think everyone here agreed was not the guy (he was bad at Notre Dame too despite winning "MVP" in a bowl game where he threw 3 INTs). But Buchner was also ahead of Ty. So clearly the staff had some big reservations about Ty. According to basically every insider even including 81 on here has said Ty did not look all that great last spring/fall and Rodney Orr has said multiple times he "wasn't ready".

But some how this all adds up to poor old Saban giving in to some players demands to play Milroe.

I'm not saying there isn't truth to the story. I'm sure there was some unrest bringing in Buchner (frankly I think rightfully so) and maybe I could buy Saban rushed his decision a bit to maintain team harmony but to me that seems like a reasonable decision because no one seemed to think Ty was ready anyway and we all saw Buchner(idc what the team around him was doing dude threw every ball into the dirt).
For 3 years and 5 closed scrimmages I can honestly say between the two (Milroe and Ty) there has only been one good performance between the two and that was Ty this year. Ty has been better in my eyes than Milroe on a consistent basis but until this spring it wasn’t “oh this guy is clearly ahead of Milroe” good. I grant everyone the point that I’m just basically seeing through a small window of information that the average fan isn’t privy to, and that it isn’t the larger window of information that the coaches are.

But however one thing I do know about the situation is that Tyler Buchner was seen by the staff as the eventual starter and that both Simpson and Milroe were both told after the spring by Saban that they had his blessing to transfer if they didn’t like the fact that he was bringing in an experienced starter at quarterback in the summer. I heard that straight from a staffer’s mouth in front of a room full of 200 people in June. That’s why you heard of interest between Milroe and TCU after spring training. But I’m sure that many people want to ignore it because “I can’t see the facts” but it’s something I personally experienced and why I picked TB as the starter on the poll.

FWIW I thought Lonergan was the best option out of all of them last year but in the fall scrimmage Buchner had clearly the best day out the 3 realistic candidates. He didn’t start missing passes until Brooks started walking through routes. And yes it happened and Saban went off on him and you could ever word he said to him as he ran his butt off the field and into the locker room.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

This is all true. But it also true that Georgia twice pulled within 3 in the 4th quarter and had all the momentum on its side. Yet, that is also when our offense -- and Milroe -- played their best. In fact, I would argue that the biggest play in the game was not the fumble -- though it was significant -- but the drive that restored our 10-point cushion in the 4th.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Doubters only remember what suits them.

The sweat off the starters of last year’s team had more athleticism and talent than some SEC rosters and somehow people think last year wasn’t a let down.

I appreciate what you put out here, thank you for pulling the curtain back a little.
2023 Bama had 3 of the 6 highest rated recruiting classes in history. Without question, it was the most talented team in history, as far as recruiting rankings go. With consistent QB play, we win the title. It’s very disingenuous to consider 2023 anything but a disappointment.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
For 3 years and 5 closed scrimmages I can honestly say between the two (Milroe and Ty) there has only been one good performance between the two and that was Ty this year. Ty has been better in my eyes than Milroe on a consistent basis but until this spring it wasn’t “oh this guy is clearly ahead of Milroe” good. I grant everyone the point that I’m just basically seeing through a small window of information that the average fan isn’t privy to, and that it isn’t the larger window of information that the coaches are.

But however one thing I do know about the situation is that Tyler Buchner was seen by the staff as the eventual starter and that both Simpson and Milroe were both told after the spring by Saban that they had his blessing to transfer if they didn’t like the fact that he was bringing in an experienced starter at quarterback in the summer. I heard that straight from a staffer’s mouth in front of a room full of 200 people in June. That’s why you heard of interest between Milroe and TCU after spring training. But I’m sure that many people want to ignore it because “I can’t see the facts” but it’s something I personally experienced and why I picked TB as the starter on the poll.

FWIW I thought Lonergan was the best option out of all of them last year but in the fall scrimmage Buchner had clearly the best day out the 3 realistic candidates. He didn’t start missing passes until Brooks started walking through routes. And yes it happened and Saban went off on him and you could ever word he said to him as he ran his butt off the field and into the locker room.
I would have loved hearing Coach Saban go nuclear on him for dragging around like that. I think “more mello, laid back Saban” as some keep calling him is still more intense than most coaches/fans. You don’t reach his level of success being an easy going guy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is all true. But it also true that Georgia twice pulled within 3 in the 4th quarter and had all the momentum on its side. Yet, that is also when our offense -- and Milroe -- played their best. In fact, I would argue that the biggest play in the game was not the fumble -- though it was significant -- but the drive that restored our 10-point cushion in the 4th.
Im not totally dismissing Milroe’s contributions in the game, but more trying to bring his contributions back to a more grounded interpretation. Too many want to act like we won because of him and the mvp of the game proves it. I will say he played a good game in the strict confines of winning the game but let’s stop acting like he had the 2021 Bryce Young SECCG game like many want to play it off as.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Agreed. I will believe this theory if anybody can produce any evidence (it would no longer be a theory if..). Be damned with facts and let's base beliefs in heresay is the way of the world.
The narrative seemingly has moved from “Saban specifically said the team forced the decision via a locker room mutiny” to “Maybe he never specifically said it but anyone with a brain should have inferred it.”

At this point, what does it even matter?

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

If you look at it from a UGA perspective, their championship level defense rose up and saved the game at that point.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
at least for me, last year was a very enjoyable season to watch as we bounced back from that tejas loss

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
So, after reading through 8 pages of this torturous thread, I have a question. Has the issue been resolved? What will happen this fall if CKD names TS or DL QB1?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I’m looking forward to seeing us play this year and trust that this staff will make the correct decisions regarding who’s on the field. Someone earlier brought up Marrone’s name and our slip as far as the offensive line. It was spot on. I’ll add BoB in there as well. I’m not sure how much coaching Milroe received from him in the two years he was here. Golding was horrible. We’ll see. RTR

Latest threads