...Alabama...sigh...you've done it again

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good for Hugh Jr
UA claims this didn't have anything to do with legislation and was solely about his demands since he donated so much money.

Would explain why he became vocal all of a sudden, too. Try to force their hand by calling for a boycott. Finis didn't bluff, though.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
UA claims this didn't have anything to do with legislation and was solely about his demands since he donated so much money.

Would explain why he became vocal all of a sudden, too. Try to force their hand by calling for a boycott. Finis didn't bluff, though.
True. UA proposed raising entrance requirements and HC wanted enrollment increased. It was a lose/lose situation. The divorce was wise and foreseeable...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Just received this in my email.

Sid McDonald Hall 500 University Boulevard East Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 205.348.5861 uasystem.edu
June 7, 2019 Kellee Reinhart: kreinhart@uasystem.edu
Statement by Kellee Reinhart, Vice Chancellor for Communication

The action taken by the Board today was a direct result of Mr. Culverhouse’s ongoing attempts to interfere in the operations of the Law School. That was the only reason the Board voted to remove his name and return his money. Any attempt by Mr. Culverhouse to tie this action to any other issue is misleading and untrue. Below is Chancellor St. John’s full statement made earlier today to the Board of Trustees prior to its vote.

Statement by Chancellor Finis E. St. John
As you are aware, the School of Law here at the University of Alabama has had an incredible record of success in recent years and is now considered among the finest public and private law schools in the country. Dean Mark Brandon has shown strong and steady leadership and wise guidance of this important asset of our State.
As you also know, the law school received a significant pledge last year. Since that time, it has become clear that the donor’s expectations for the use and application of that gift have been inconsistent with the essential values of academic integrity and independent administration of the Law School and the University. Despite the diligent efforts and good faith of our Dean and President, there is no path forward consistent with those values. While we are grateful to all of our donors and supporters, and very grateful to this donor and his family, donors do not dictate our administration of the University.
For these reasons, and these reasons alone, it is my recommendation that we return this donor’s gift in its entirety, plus earnings, and restore the name of the law school as “The University of Alabama School of Law.”
One last point: we will learn from this – and always remember that we cannot and will not compromise the values of academic integrity and independent administration at any price. That concludes my comments.
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA  THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA AT BIRMINGHAM  THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IN HUNTSVILLE  THE UAB HEALTH SYSTEM

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’m proud that the University places such a high value on integrity. I don’t think this has anything to do with abortion. Here is the email letter I received this afternoon:

Today, the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama voted unanimously to return a donation of $21.5 million and restore the name of The University of Alabama School of Law. I wanted to make you aware of this decision and the reasons for it.
This decision was made for reasons of academic and institutional integrity. I appreciate the actions of the Chancellor and our Board of Trustees and their unwavering support of these intrinsic values. You can view additional statements from the University of Alabama System here.
We value each and every donor, and it is unfortunate that an ongoing dispute led to this action. With your support, we will continue to raise the Capstone to even greater heights.
Stuart R. Bell
President

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Hugh Culverhouse has written an op-Ed in the WaPo which I cannot link to because I’ve read it on my news app and cannot find it when I Google the title of the opinion piece. Now I cannot find the piece in my news app. The article did not cast a favorable light on UA as you can imagine. Hopefully not a lot of people will see it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Wow! Just a bunch of bald-faced lies. I'm glad the university got rid of him...
out of curiosity how do you know who is lying? The Governor that signed the stupid bill is on the Board of Trustees you think she is going to be embarrassed by losing $25+ M over it? I am sure there was a debate on what Hugh wanted versus the University wanted but it seems too minor to pull his name and give him back the pile of cash (~$11M iirc) over it, especially when the Culverhouse family has given so much to the University over so many years. So do you have any insights here? Or am I missing some info?

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
out of curiosity how do you know who is lying? The Governor that signed the stupid bill is on the Board of Trustees you think she is going to be embarrassed by losing $25+ M over it? I am sure there was a debate on what Hugh wanted versus the University wanted but it seems too minor to pull his name and give him back the pile of cash (~$11M iirc) over it, especially when the Culverhouse family has given so much to the University over so many years. So do you have any insights here? Or am I missing some info?
Honestly, I'm not in the loop. In fact, I'm not anywhere near the loop, but I have the same question.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Rather than retype everything I've typed, I'll link it below. It sounds like you're buying his BS. Don't. He had made retaining his gift impossible long before the vote was taken. You should get a clue about his character from his lie about being raised in Alabama. He wasn't. He was born and raised in Florida...

LINK

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The university released -and later pulled- emails from administration to the BOT suggesting returning the money BEFORE this boycott idea came about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Should also add what I mentioned in the other thread.

Every state media member is taking UA's side on this when they see a national news outlet report Culverhouse's claims. If he was being truthful, there are plenty that would use this as a chance to go after the abortion bill. The fact they aren't using this opportunity tells me this isn't about the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.