Alabama suspends spring football practice due to coronavirus

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I am honestly to the point now where I have about given up on life. If this is honestly not going to get any better, then what’s the point? This is not about not having any sports or anything of that nature. Although I do hate that and not because of being bored. I hate it for the untold numbers of livelihoods that it is affecting. Someone told me last night “but we are still alive. That’s what’s important”. I almost had to laugh. Really? Still alive? If staying alive means living like this, then I don’t want it. So, if I get this disease, then I’m going to isolate myself of course. I’m not in the high risk groups. I’m not elderly, and my immune system isn’t compromised. But, to that end, I’m being told I could still die if I get it. Then I die. Like I said, I don’t want to live like this. Not for a year. Not for 6 months. Definitely not from now on.
Depression and anxiety are real issues made worse by situations like this. Please reach out to friends, family, and professionals as needed - and that goes to everyone.

We will get through this together.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I am honestly to the point now where I have about given up on life. If this is honestly not going to get any better, then what’s the point? This is not about not having any sports or anything of that nature. Although I do hate that and not because of being bored. I hate it for the untold numbers of livelihoods that it is affecting. Someone told me last night “but we are still alive. That’s what’s important”. I almost had to laugh. Really? Still alive? If staying alive means living like this, then I don’t want it. So, if I get this disease, then I’m going to isolate myself of course. I’m not in the high risk groups. I’m not elderly, and my immune system isn’t compromised. But, to that end, I’m being told I could still die if I get it. Then I die. Like I said, I don’t want to live like this. Not for a year. Not for 6 months. Definitely not from now on.
All things have a season...………….this also has a season, and like all seasons, it will end. Don't ever give up, don't ever give in. There are some really good people here, and any one of them will be there for everyone else. Hang in there................we got this

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
Thank you my friend. I need encouragement like this. Already having depression coupled with this has had me very down lately. Even more so than usual. Last night, I seriously considered some painless ways to ease on out of here, so to speak. Not at the point of actually downing the liquid Drano or anything. But just having thoughts and weighing living vs dying in the state the world is in. I just got to keep my chin up as best I can.
Please get help! Things will get better. Don't let this take you over. There have to be resources in your community you can reach out to in this time. Depression is real, but there are ways to combat it. We'll get through this.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Now I'm hearing people's homes are getting burglarized and having their supplies stolen. Has it really come to this? 😔

• Sad
Reactions: B1GTide

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Poor form to quote one’s own post, but it looks like I have to eat some words on this.

Last night, I spoke with a UA officer. Can’t name names, but you’d recognize the person.

Anyway s/he said that fear of lawsuits is driving a lot of the institutional actions — closing of universities, public school systems, private schools, collegiate and professional sporting events, and about anything else that oversees large numbers of people in close proximity to one another.

All it takes is one outlier — a young person, in otherwise good health — to have been in your area of operation, get COVID (whether they got it at your place or not) and have permanent damage or die. The legal liability is tremendous.

So what I characterized as an irrational overreaction to coronavirus was probably actually a rational reaction to the overall set of threats beyond just the virus itself.

Now, we’re starting to see the unintended fallout. As in, arena vendors who depend on concessions for livelihood. Roadies who depend on concerts for income.

And a dynamic I hadn’t considered — schoolchildren who get 3 meals a day at school, will now have to get that elsewhere. And for many of those that depend on school for food, home isn’t a very good place.

So school serves multiple purposes — education, nutrition, and if they’re in school, they’re (obviously) not at home. Now, with schools closed, they’re spending more time exposed to the nasty home life.

There are no good solutions.
I've two school teacher daughters and they both brought this very point up earlier in the approach of the situation we're in. A solution to that unfortunate offshoot is being worked on right now. Pray, brothers and sisters that the "plague" passes ASAP!

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I've heard (nothing official, just rumblings) that football is actually already being discussed as the next thing to get pulled. That's alarming considering that is half a year away. I mean, if they are that sure that things won't be any better by that point, then shouldn't they at least take a wait and see approach? At least basketball and baseball were happening right now, so I get why those got the ax. But to already be looking at cutting football season is a bit much right now. Just my .02 on that. But to that end, if things are still that bad in 6 months....I think we will have all lost our marbles by then so it may not matter anyway. 🙂
Until they get a vaccine for this particular corona virus and make it wide spread available then I am afraid we will be dealing with this for some time to come. Best estimates I have heard is a year and a half or two away before it will have gone through all the testing and approved by the FDA. I certainly am holding out hope as you are though.

Even with a vaccine for the H1N1 flu it is still around. My uncle just got out of Huntsville hospital a little over a week ago from it. It will probably get better this summer but is likely to make a return for fall I am afraid because it ain't going anywhere soon even with a vaccine. Some people will just not get vaccinated no matter what!

Reactions: crimson fan man

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The upcoming economic crises is going to be worse than the hysteria that the virus
Until they get a vaccine for this particular corona virus and make it wide spread available then I am afraid we will be dealing with this for some time to come. Best estimates I have heard is a year and a half or two away before it will have gone through all the testing and approved by the FDA. I certainly am holding out hope as you are though.

Even with a vaccine for the H1N1 flu it is still around. My uncle just got out of Huntsville hospital a little over a week ago from it. It will probably get better this summer but is likely to make a return for fall I am afraid because it ain't going anywhere soon even with a vaccine. Some people will just not get vaccinated no matter what!
Clinical trials for a vaccine are currently underway. Several nations have reportedly isolated the virus, Canada is performing animal trials, and UK is performing Human trials. We're close.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
WAB, talk to a professional NOW. This will get better. Might take a few months, but we’ll all be OK, and you need to be a part of that.

This is a temporary situation. It will be back to normal a lot sooner than later.

We all affect more people than we know, and I promise there are lots of people who look up to you. Don’t solve a temporary problem with a permanent solution that can’t be undone...ever.

Talk to a professional NOW.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, did not see this one earlier................

Let me try to put this in another light.

The reasonable precautions that are being recommended are what my day looks like, and has looked like, for almost 40 years. Do I worry? Yes. Am I concerned? Yes. Am I in a high-risk category? Definitely yes!

So, while I really do not have to adjust my routine, as I take these measures all the time, I have to keep my guard up. But, I am not going to give up. Not now. Not ever.

Despite almost dying twice, before the age of 34 (the age my dad died at), I can honestly say I have never questioned the reason for going forward, and have never been depressed. I figure that I have gone through too much crap to give up.

Not everyone is going to look at life the way that I do. I get that. But, this is a temporary problem, and it shall pass. Will it get worse, before it gets better? Yes. Is it likely to come back, say next fall? Very likely.

In the meantime, go outside and enjoy the sunshine. Vitamin D is helpful to keep your immune system strong. Get enough sleep, as it is also important. Ok, maybe you cannot go to the A-Day game. Well, I can never go to the A-Day game. So what? So, go outside, and take a walk in the park. Enjoy the wonder and variety of nature. Listen to your favorite music, while you are doing it. Think about how more fortunate you are, compared to the truly destitute and suffering.

And before you know it...............it will be a new day. Another day to enjoy life. OK, maybe we cannot enjoy everything we want to, for the short-term, but it will pass. And before you know it..................it will be time for football and complaining about how much we all hate Auburn!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for all the encouragement and positive thoughts Tidefans family. We never know who needs to hear it. God is Love and this is the best time as any to be His reflection of Love to each other. And yes ... we can love others and still not like Auburn lol RTR

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I've heard (nothing official, just rumblings) that football is actually already being discussed as the next thing to get pulled. That's alarming considering that is half a year away. I mean, if they are that sure that things won't be any better by that point, then shouldn't they at least take a wait and see approach? At least basketball and baseball were happening right now, so I get why those got the ax. But to already be looking at cutting football season is a bit much right now. Just my .02 on that. But to that end, if things are still that bad in 6 months....I think we will have all lost our marbles by then so it may not matter anyway. 🙂
As an FYI , the Chinese Basketball Association is to resume the season on April 1. They're requiring American players who left to return or face lifetime banishment from playing in the league!

Even with all the issues China had, they're resuming life - maybe a bit modified at first but this too shall pass! So until summer we have to stay away from others and take extra care if we do go out. Find a good book, movie, or TV show and binge (if/when you're not working). Revel in the fact that Bama will be on a number of ESPN replays of recent championships. (Guess who won't be seen so much!) :D

Call some older people and check on them, take them groceries, etc. "Social distancing" doesn't equal total isolation.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not meaning to be disagreeable but there a several posters on here whose spouses are potentially facing death and they know it. I have never heard them say "if staying alive means living like this , then I don't want it". I can guarantee you they are thankful for every extra day they have with their wives. Yes, this is a serious situation and we all pretty much know what we have to do to hopefully survive, but if you really feel like this then you do need to seek professional help.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
I know that blood type makes people more susceptible to certain things and have tried to google (with no success) to see if there are any public records that have shown a breakdown percentage wise as to which blood types have the highest rate of the virus. I just thought one or more of you might have seen something along this line.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know that blood type makes people more susceptible to certain things and have tried to google (with no success) to see if there are any public records that have shown a breakdown percentage wise as to which blood types have the highest rate of the virus. I just thought one or more of you might have seen something along this line.
No idea about this one, but recent studies show that B+ & O+ females get the flu most often while AB- & O- males get the flu most often. I am A+ and have only had the flu twice in my life, and I have been heavily exposed.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
No idea about this one, but recent studies show that B+ & O+ females get the flu most often while AB- & O- males get the flu most often. I am A+ and have only had the flu twice in my life, and I have been heavily exposed.
Thanks, that the type of info. I was looking for. I am 0 positive and have had the flu (light case) maybe twice in the last 15 years. However, for the last 10 of those years I have lived a 1/4 mile of a mile from a Holiday Inn Express so that may make the number fluctuate a little. I was just wondering about the genetic susceptibility angle. Thanks again.

Reactions: B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not meaning to be disagreeable but there a several posters on here whose spouses are potentially facing death and they know it. I have never heard them say "if staying alive means living like this , then I don't want it". I can guarantee you they are thankful for every extra day they have with their wives. Yes, this is a serious situation and we all pretty much know what we have to do to hopefully survive, but if you really feel like this then you do need to seek professional help.
Gray, I know you're speaking from recent and painful experience. And your position is perfectly logical.

We all know that there are only a very few things that make death truly preferable to life, and being cooped up and constantly paranoid for a few weeks or months isn't on that list.

Thing is, by its very nature, depression isn't logical.

When the walls start closing in, every little inconvenience or difficulty gets magnified all out of proportion, and minor temporary obstacles seem both insurmountable and permanent. Media reports focusing on the bad-to-worst case outcomes with little to no reporting of progress, don't help.

Sufferers of depression know that others are facing far worse physical problems, and they're holding onto every moment with both hands. Which only makes them question themselves and their own existence more harshly.

You're right that anyone thinking of ending their life because of the current situation does need professional help, and they need it right now. Not tomorrow. Not when their Psychiatrist can see them. NOW.

It's not because the sufferers are weak....it's because depression is so strong.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.