National Transfer Portal news

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
It is really difficult to build solid, experienced depth and maintain a certain culture when you lose this many players each year. Oh well, this is the current world they have created.
This is what I have been saying as well, you lose guys who where in the system for 2-3 years may not been ready to start but new the system and that experience is hard to replace

Reactions: twofbyc and B1GTide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is what I have been saying as well, you lose guys who where in the system for 2-3 years may not been ready to start but new the system and that experience is hard to replace
At least all the top teams will have to deal with this reality too.

It's probably closer to the NFL reality of free-agency and being able to sign players in the middle of the year.

Reactions: B1GTide

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Tyson was never going to play regularly at Alabama and apparently not at ASU also. We all know his background and his lineage, but that means little in this day and age of college football. I think he is a good young man, and I hope he lands at a program that he can get a chance to play.
These guys who hop around would be MUCH better off going to an FCS or D2 where they would be heroes. No way I could transfer multiple times and enjoy my college experience. It's too stressful already then to layer on not getting to play, moving, etc.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
At least all the top teams will have to deal with this reality too.

It's probably closer to the NFL reality of free-agency and being able to sign players in the middle of the year.
Gone beyond, actually. Rookies have to play out initial contract for so many years (4? 5?). College players can jump whenever they want - or originally could, anyway. I heard something changed but I don’t know what - don’t care, really. It’s NFL minor leagues now.

Reactions: The Ols

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Gone beyond, actually. Rookies have to play out initial contract for so many years (4? 5?). College players can jump whenever they want - or originally could, anyway. I heard something changed but I don’t know what - don’t care, really. It’s NFL minor leagues now.
It would really be helpful if there was a rule that if you signed you had to play 2 years with the original school and if you transfer you only get 1 opportunity to do it.

Being able to transfer at will is ridiculous!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
These guys who hop around would be MUCH better off going to an FCS or D2 where they would be heroes. No way I could transfer multiple times and enjoy my college experience. It's too stressful already then to layer on not getting to play, moving, etc.
Agreed. Had Paul gone to the Bison initially he'd probably be king of the campus.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Christian Leary has entered the transfer portal. I wish him luck. Charlie Potter just wrote an article about it. I wonder how many more players will enter the portal?
If there was ever a year to get on the field at that position it was this one. I hate to see this and wish him luck but too many shiny objects keep distracting young men these days. Very few places for a guy like that to shine in the national spotlight and go to the league but kids have to be patient.

Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It would really be helpful if there was a rule that if you signed you had to play 2 years with the original school and if you transfer you only get 1 opportunity to do it.

Being able to transfer at will is ridiculous!
Here's my solution to the current transfer portal problem.

*If a coach leaves a team or is fired, the players in that coach's recruiting classes can transfer without penalty. I say that because players commit to coaches, not schools, and we need to start accepting that and understanding why they do.

*If a player wants to transfer due to playing time issues and the HC that he signed under is still the HC, the player has to sit out a year and loses a year of eligibility.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Here's my solution to the current transfer portal problem.

*If a coach leaves a team or is fired, the players in that coach's recruiting classes can transfer without penalty. I say that because players commit to coaches, not schools, and we need to start accepting that and understanding why they do.

*If a player wants to transfer due to playing time issues and the HC that he signed under is still the HC, the player has to sit out a year and loses a year of eligibility.
As long as we extend that to position coaches then I think it makes sense.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If there was ever a year to get on the field at that position it was this one. I hate to see this and wish him luck but too many shiny objects keep distracting young men these days. Very few places for a guy like that to shine in the national spotlight and go to the league but kids have to be patient.
Far too often the terms " kids " and " patient " are non-sequiturs.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
At the risk of being the old fart telling kids to get off my lawn, the convergence of the portal, NIL and the current generational mindset of instant gratification is a perfect storm for a total mess in college athletics.
Regardless, you speak the truth on this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.