National Transfer Portal news

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Look, the comments here are not to trash any player because I love them all...I know we all do. But if they leave us for greener pastures then I am sure there are 5 intriguing players waiting in the wings for every departure. I wish they would stay but if not...

Reactions: The Ols and Clay

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Look, the comments here are not to trash any player because I love them all...I know we all do. But if they leave us for greener pastures then I am sure there are 5 intriguing players waiting in the wings for every departure. I wish they would stay but if not...
I disagree. If there were a plethora of available transfers, we wouldn't have struggled so mightily with O-line and receivers this season. Yeah, Tyler Harrel was injured, but really, where is he physically at this point or is it a mental thing? And why has Burton not been what most expected/wanted at this point?

Truth is the portal and NIL are ruining the CFB game and I'm losing more interest each and every year. Just give us back our game somehow.

forumripper1

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 12, 2022
I expect TJB WR to be next as well after Holden. I would also expect a couple more OL. Maybe the Brockermeyer brothers. I only see one opening on the OL next year:

LT- JC
LG- Cohen
C- Seth
RT- Booker

Reactions: Blindside17

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I disagree. If there were a plethora of available transfers, we wouldn't have struggled so mightily with O-line and receivers this season. Yeah, Tyler Harrel was injured, but really, where is he physically at this point or is it a mental thing? And why has Burton not been what most expected/wanted at this point?

Truth is the portal and NIL are ruining the CFB game and I'm losing more interest each and every year. Just give us back our game somehow.
Totally agree I feel the same way. Never thought I would say that about college football.

Reactions: Superdad

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I was not referring to the portal. I was talking about new recruits. For every departure of a Holden or Leary there might be a Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley or Jerry Jeudy waiting to accept a roster spot to take the top off of the defense from the first day of practice.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: mlh

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Transfers and drop-outs have occurred for decades...the only difference here is that when you recruit so many highly ranked athletes we tend to notice when they leave, particularly when they put it on social media. They expect playing time and when it doesn't come they are more prone to head for the exit --- which is currently lit up like a walkway. We will be fine...if a player is talented but not starting or getting significant playing time there is usually an underlying reason.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Wishing these young men happiness and success wherever they go. It doesn’t always work out the way we wanted it to but that doesn’t mean when a player leaves the cupboard will be dry. I think Saban took a hard look at staff and coaches and is making changes.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Not quick enough though. We need a Slim Reaper, Waddle or Cooper that stands out and makes plays from day 1.
I agree. Holden seemed to realize his lack of quickness and tried to compensate by starting to run before he secured the ball. He also had an opportunity to step up last year but wound up in Saban’s doghouse. Seems like we have swung and missed on many WRs. I think coaching and development played a part of that, too.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Actually his PT had decreased to the point I forgot his jersey number. He couldn’t get over the drops.
Actually, he got over the drops but was still passed up because of his earlier drops. He will be very good for someone. I'd be happy to have him at OSU

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I was not referring to the portal. I was talking about new recruits. For every departure of a Holden or Leary there might be a Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley or Jerry Jeudy waiting to accept a roster spot to take the top off of the defense from the first day of practice.
New recruits comparable to those you've mentioned are rare. Few and far between. We were spoiled with the names you've referenced above along with Devonta, Jamo, Ruggs, Metchie, etc. If it were easy to identify and pull in dominant freshmen, we'd have them on the roster, and they wouldn't have dropped the multitude of passes we've seen this season.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
New recruits comparable to those you've mentioned are rare. Few and far between. We were spoiled with the names you've referenced above along with Devonta, Jamo, Ruggs, Metchie, etc. If it were easy to identify and pull in dominant freshmen, we'd have them on the roster, and they wouldn't have dropped the multitude of passes we've seen this season.
True, but none of the guys leaving are of that caliber from what we have seen so all the more likely we might find another one with open spots to be had. Prentice was a late add and he turned out pretty good as a true frosh. I see it as a win win really.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Actually, he got over the drops but was still passed up because of his earlier drops. He will be very good for someone. I'd be happy to have him at OSU
Best I can tell, we have 13 Wrs on scholarship, and only one is a senior (harrell - who might try to get a medical redshirt and return). Burton could declare for the draft, but I doubt he'll grade that high unless he has an incredible bowl game.

We've got 4 currently committed and rumors of more in the pipeline.

16-17 + guys for 3 possible starting spots and 3-4 more in a rotation isn't math that works so it was pretty clear something was going to have to give in that group, especially with how much the true freshmen started seeing the field.

I'm a little surprised at Holden, though, as I thought it seemed he started getting back on the field more, and he's one of only two guys over 6' on the roster (Brooks is the other). Jones-Bell could be another who might want to look around, and even someone like Earle who played a good bit, but was much further down on the production chart could take a look also

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.