Poll: Alabama's 2022 Defense effectiveness vs. Offensive scoring

Just in terms of offensive points outputs and defensive scoring allowed, which do you expect to happ

• Offense scoring up, defensive scoring allowed up (more scoring in general)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Offense scoring up, defensive scoring allowed down (bigger margin of victory)

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • No real change from last year

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Offense scoring down, defense scoring allowed up (smaller margin of victory)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offense scoring down, defense scoring allowed down (less scoring in general)

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • SNASS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
With the latest transfer - changed my vote to show improvement in both. Still need the o-line to come together, but the pieces are all there.
This is my thought now. I thought that with all the drops by the receivers we wouldn’t score more points. Now that a speedy deep threat joined the team we could very well do better on offense. The o-line will come around.

Reactions: JayBama_in_PCOLA

Patton

1st Team
Nov 10, 2021
If they would just "sprinkle" in just a little Tight and Wide Zone Read stuff. To where Bryce is a "real" threat to read it town and keep the ball.Now I know they dont want him to get pounded on.But Bryce is a very bright young man who always would do everything he could to escape harm's way..I.E...Sliding,run OB...Whatever..Instead of him just handing it off and standing there like a statue watching. Just the every game threat of him keeping it would help our run game and O-Line immensely. Especially in the Red Zone.

2 other things of course to help those guys upfront would be staggered and changing cadence. Or freeze or dummy calls. Whatever. Guys jump our snapcount way too often.And the other big help would be to change our Qb's launch points up at times.But hey...Thats just me..

Gibbs alone will help this O-Line a lot. And getting Tyler Steen was a great move IMO....

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
If they would just "sprinkle" in just a little Tight and Wide Zone Read stuff. To where Bryce is a "real" threat to read it town and keep the ball.Now I know they dont want him to get pounded on.But Bryce is a very bright young man who always would do everything he could to escape harm's way..I.E...Sliding,run OB...Whatever..Instead of him just handing it off and standing there like a statue watching. Just the every game threat of him keeping it would help our run game and O-Line immensely. Especially in the Red Zone.

2 other things of course to help those guys upfront would be staggered and changing cadence. Or freeze or dummy calls. Whatever. Guys jump our snapcount way too often.And the other big help would be to change our Qb's launch points up at times.But hey...Thats just me..

Gibbs alone will help this O-Line a lot. And getting Tyler Steen was a great move IMO....
I am given pause with the difficulty the Offensive Line had protecting Bryce last year. It is difficult to see that much improved in 2022. There is likely universal agreement that getting the ball out quickly and utilizing Bryce's dual threat capability to move the ball and control the clock would be a plus until he is injured which would be a real game changer. Do we really expect BOB to be a more effective signal caller this year or does the frustration continue?

CNS has a long line of Defensive Lineman in the NFL who brought pressure up the middle and played the run well. I tend to think that has trended down over the last couple of years as others have mentioned here.

My enthusiasm is dampened a bit when I think about the teams that will challenge and frustrate Bama on both sides of the ball again this year.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I am given pause with the difficulty the Offensive Line had protecting Bryce last year. It is difficult to see that much improved in 2022. There is likely universal agreement that getting the ball out quickly and utilizing Bryce's dual threat capability to move the ball and control the clock would be a plus until he is injured which would be a real game changer. Do we really expect BOB to be a more effective signal caller this year or does the frustration continue?

CNS has a long line of Defensive Lineman in the NFL who brought pressure up the middle and played the run well. I tend to think that has trended down over the last couple of years as others have mentioned here.

My enthusiasm is dampened a bit when I think about the teams that will challenge and frustrate Bama on both sides of the ball again this year.
On the first question, we see it the same way. I’m really concerned about the OL, even with Steen, and think it could be the Achilles Heel against good teams.

On the second, I’m optimistic that O’Brien will be better in the second year. I also expect some moving pockets and other tactics beyond my understanding to help the OL.

Last year, the difficulties up front, especially the degree to which we struggled, were something of a surprise. This year, we know we have work to do on that issue, and the time to do it.

Still, there’s only so much you can do to finesse the whole offense around a deficient OL. At some point, they have to line up, force their man out of the hole, and open a gap for the RB.

Reactions: UAH

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.