Alec Baldwin case...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Part of the problem is lack of basic gun competence/safety. Actors have to work on their lines, their fight choreography and who knows what else. Why not spend a day or two going over how to properly handle guns? This feels like a good, common sense solution.
They're actors and they daily have to deal with props representing all kinds of things which may be dangerous. Thats why they hire others to handle potentially dangerous things like guns. I really cant blame him too much.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
They should really be looking for the person who thought it would be fun to play with a loaded gun in the desert and brought live ammo onto the set, loaded the 'prop' gun and then left it loaded!
My guess is that Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was involved.

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From some of the reporting.....there are some details that the public is not yet aware of yet.

Having to do with disregard for overall safety on the set.

Remember early on it was reported that union crews walked off the set, due to concerns over safety protocol being ignored, or some such.

I mention this because the decision to file charges was probably based on more than just AB firing the gun. It was other things that we are not aware of.

Many are saying, including AB's representative, that he will fight the charges. If so and it indeed goes to court, we will know more when discovery is filed, I guess....
IDK the New Mexico rules of discovery in criminal cases. They are public, I think, in FL but I have never heard of the content being public in Alabama...

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
shots like these are fairly common in movies. i am not a cinematographer, but i would imagine the person was behind the camera framing the view

which is why blanks on the revolver in question aren’t easily distinguished by novices. There has to be lead in the casing or it won’t look real if they ever did a shot like this (which they were) with the gun they were using on set.

Reactions: 92tide

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
From some of the reporting.....there are some details that the public is not yet aware of yet.

Having to do with disregard for overall safety on the set.

Remember early on it was reported that union crews walked off the set, due to concerns over safety protocol being ignored, or some such.

I mention this because the decision to file charges was probably based on more than just AB firing the gun. It was other things that we are not aware of.

Many are saying, including AB's representative, that he will fight the charges. If so and it indeed goes to court, we will know more when discovery is filed, I guess....
Why does this matter? Again he hired a "professional" by industry standards to handle guns on set. Is it his fault that the person hired didn't follow defined procedures?

I mean if I'm on a jury on a criminal trial I just don't see it. If I'm on a jury on a civil trial, I think he definitely has some sort of responsibly as the producer.

Reactions: Bamaro and TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Why does this matter? Again he hired a "professional" by industry standards to handle guns on set. Is it his fault that the person hired didn't follow defined procedures?

I mean if I'm on a jury on a criminal trial I just don't see it. If I'm on a jury on a civil trial, I think he definitely has some sort of responsibly as the producer.
I agree. But he hasn't been charged as the producer, only as the actor. I saw the DA say on CNN that he should have rechecked the gun. She's wrong on that point...

Reactions: 92tide

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Don't know. I'm just passing along what I hear being reported.

Sounds like there are things we just don't know about yet that entered into the prosecutor's thinking.

Personally, I don't have a dog in the fight here - but am interested in knowing more details, like everyone else....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
that was not his job or responsibility on the set.
This is the sticking point - his relative ignorance regarding firearms isn't the issue, as they're literally required to have an armorer on set so that they do not have to rely on the actors. It is not the actor's job to understand the weapon and know how to check / use it safely.

I cannot imagine anything sticks to him legally (as an actor).

Had he a better understanding of firearms I can see where this might have been avoided, but that's pure conjecture. The armorer 100% failed at their sole reason for being on set, and should be punished for this senseless and easily avoidable death.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Yes but that doesn’t excuse not training.
Sigh. Again he's an actor. He paid to act and gets filmed doing things that go against gun safety training (ie pointing a gun towards a camera with a person behind it and pulling the trigger.). What part of a safety course is going to cover how to do that safely?

Edit - You know what kind of gun training actors do? Training that helps them act better. Go read up on Robert Patrick training for T-1000. Did he do it for gun safety? No. He did it so he conditioned himself to not blink when pulling the trigger.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sigh. Again he's an actor. He paid to act and gets filmed doing things that go against gun safety training (ie pointing a gun towards a camera with a person behind it and pulling the trigger.). What part of a safety course is going to cover how to do that safely?
Some actors (Tom Cruise, Keanue Reeves. etc) take their firearms training very seriously as they want to play the roles as accurately as possible. Kudos to them for this, it's no different than someone taking dancing lessons to dance better on film.

And these guys point firearms at other actors, at cameras, etc. ALL. THE. TIME.

Ultimately, the armorer exists to account for the variability of training of the actors on set. If someone is an expert marksman, great, "I've checked your firearm and it is safe". If someone is ignorant regarding the use of firearms, "I've checked your firearm and it is safe".

That's the (seemingly) single point of failure here.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Are people who are saying he didn’t inspect the gun expecting him to know the difference between live rounds and the various types of blanks and dummy rounds? It’s a revolver. There will be lead in the cartridges or it won’t look real when being filmed from the front. You guys really expect all actors to have enough training to know the difference? Go read up on the series of events that caused Brandon Lee’s death. That’s why you need a firearm expert with 20 years experience in charge of safety and not some actor who took a 1 week gun safety course.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.