All New Gym - Coleman Replacement Posts Here

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Potential headline…ALABAMA BASKETBALL RETURNS TO SITE OF GEORGE WALLACE SCHOOLHOUSE DOOR STAND.

Only semi-joking.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If Coach Oats is happy, I'm happy. I personally don't care.. I haven't been to a bball game since the Gottfried era. I just want the program to be successful and live up to what I believe is its immense potential.

I believe the University/boosters/alumni have the resources to get a new arena built. The question has always been does it have the will? Well, Coach Oats is showing us what having an elite program looks like, something we haven't truly seen since the 1980s. Is a new arena a requirement to ensure he is in Tuscaloosa for a very long time?

I am of the opinion that we've been too eager to throw money at the football program. I get the economics. I still disagree some of this last round was necessary at all.

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Im afraid we missed out window in the last decade to realize a new arena. Now construction costs are high as so are the finance costs. Im sure there are no good answers for the AD and BoT. If it was an easy decision, it would have been made already.

Personally, I like going to the basketball games much easier to attend than football. Concessions are absurd.

My belief is they should build a new arena next door to Coleman in the parking lot and build a connecting corridor to the existing practice facilities. If they designed it right they could a pretty nice venue/overlook for baseball games from the basketball arena. Parking would be a nightmare but this would let them keep playing in Coleman until it's completed. Once demolished you make premium parking and a tailgate quad in the area where Coleman was.

I know building costs are expensive right now, but 250 million sounds like a lot. Or maybe I need to talk to my boss about a raise?

Reactions: 9gks

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Im afraid we missed out window in the last decade to realize a new arena. Now construction costs are high as so are the finance costs. Im sure there are no good answers for the AD and BoT. If it was an easy decision, it would have been made already.

Personally, I like going to the basketball games much easier to attend than football. Concessions are absurd.

My belief is they should build a new arena next door to Coleman in the parking lot and build a connecting corridor to the existing practice facilities. If they designed it right they could a pretty nice venue/overlook for baseball games from the basketball arena. Parking would be a nightmare but this would let them keep playing in Coleman until it's completed. Once demolished you make premium parking and a tailgate quad in the area where Coleman was.
250 million still sounds like a lot for an arena. I work on some pretty high end hotels with parking decks and I don't think we have a single job that even approaches that amount.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
It is when AU built their new arena a decade ago for under $100mm.

There is just no rationale for spending $250mm and I have heard recently estimates are closer to $300mm...

250 million still sounds like a lot for an arena. I work on some pretty high end hotels with parking decks and I don't think we have a single job that even approaches that amount.

It looks like Ole Miss built theirs for $96.5 million back in 2016 and Texas is building theirs for $300-$375 million, depending on source. Baylor is apparently coming in the middle of those with a $185 million arena. I don't know why these things are so expensive but Jerry Jones spent over $1.5 billion on the Cowboys' stadium more than a dozen years ago and the Rams spent well over $2 billion on theirs. Obviously, football requires more room but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It looks like Ole Miss built theirs for $96.5 million back in 2016 and Texas is building theirs for $300-$375 million, depending on source. Baylor is apparently coming in the middle of those with a $185 million arena. I don't know why these things are so expensive but Jerry Jones spent over $1.5 billion on the Cowboys' stadium more than a dozen years ago and the Rams spent well over $2 billion on theirs. Obviously, football requires more room but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Would love to see a line item pricing breakdown, so I could know where all the cost is. Usually only the architects, owners, and contractor gets to see that info.

As far as I know there are no drawings that exist so there isn't even a way to know the actual cost.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.