News Article: An Australia With No Google? The Bitter Fight Behind a Drastic Threat

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
An Australia With No Google? The Bitter Fight Behind a Drastic Threat
SYDNEY, Australia — In a major escalation, Google threatened on Friday to make its search engine unavailable in Australia if the government approved legislation that would force tech companies to pay for journalism shared on their platforms.

Facebook, which appeared with Google at an Australian Senate hearing, reaffirmed a threat of its own, vowing to block users in Australia from posting or sharing links to news if the bill passed.

In both cases, the dire warnings — which one senator called blackmail — revealed the apparent willingness of Facebook and Google to hide or erase reliable sources of information for millions of people at a time when social media platforms are under fire for helping misinformation spread worldwide.

The companies argue that they already help the media industry by sending it traffic, and that the bill would open them up to “unmanageable levels of financial and operational risk.” The response by Google, which controls 95 percent of all queries in Australia in addition to owning YouTube, has grown particularly aggressive: The company recently buried major Australian news sites in search results in what it called an “experiment.”
Found this very interesting...

Reactions: dtgreg

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Google could be replaced in a second as a search engine. The rest - maybe not.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Google could be replaced in a second as a search engine. The rest - maybe not.
Probably true but they own YouTube too.

I don't know much about this situation, as this is the first article I've read on it but it definitely makes you think more about the power these companies may have

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't know much about this situation, as this is the first article I've read on it but it definitely makes you think more about the power these companies may have
That's what I meant by "the rest". Google owns a lot of tech on the web. I am not sure that I care about what Australia is doing here, but if Google cuts off countries for reasons like this then it needs to be broken up.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
That's what I meant by "the rest". Google owns a lot of tech on the web. I am not sure that I care about what Australia is doing here, but if Google cuts off countries for reasons like this then it needs to be broken up.
Agreed, Google should be broken up, but politicians won't break up something that lines their pockets with huge amounts of money.

Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I heard a guy on TV saying that, if you go to the youtube-like video-hosting platform"Rumble" and search for "funny cat videos" it will show you results from Youtube. Not an IT guy, but I'm not sure how the happens, unless Rumble is also owned by Google.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.