An Idea For Saturdays Without College Football****

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
*** - if it happens.

One thing that would/might be missed aside from the obvious is the online game thread. While not ideal, it dawned on me that we could sort of do one where we have a set time a game thread starts, use one of the many You Tube videos out there (link it so we can sync it) and have a game thread of some of the old games, maybe some that precede the time frame of folks here who otherwise wouldn't watch one of the old ones.

I know, it's not "the same," but it might be a minimally acceptable substitute. A hungry man wanting pizza ain't gonna complain if he gets one of those school lunch chemical experiments we had in high school.

Just a thought.

And NO, I'm not offering to run it, either.

(For that matter it doesn't "have" to be Tide games, but I know that's where all our minds are).

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
*** - if it happens.

One thing that would/might be missed aside from the obvious is the online game thread. While not ideal, it dawned on me that we could sort of do one where we have a set time a game thread starts, use one of the many You Tube videos out there (link it so we can sync it) and have a game thread of some of the old games, maybe some that precede the time frame of folks here who otherwise wouldn't watch one of the old ones.

I know, it's not "the same," but it might be a minimally acceptable substitute. A hungry man wanting pizza ain't gonna complain if he gets one of those school lunch chemical experiments we had in high school.

Just a thought.

And NO, I'm not offering to run it, either.

(For that matter it doesn't "have" to be Tide games, but I know that's where all our minds are).
In fact I expect the networks themselves to air old games during some of the normal game time windows if the season does indeed not happen. Or, it may be that the NFL has some games on Saturdays in that case (not sure if that would be logistically possible).

If that happens, it would make game threads easier to do. Last year's LSU game was on SEC Network last night. I realized it and turned it over to it, just as it was nearing the end of the 3rd quarter. We had a 3rd and 1, after Najee had just run the ball, and called nearly the exact same play which LSU stuffed, forcing a 4th and 1 which would occur at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Which I did not watch because I was as disgusted last night with that stupid play call as I was last November.

On second thought, picking Youtube games that would make us happy may be a better thing to do.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
What was wrong with the rectangular school lunch pizzas??? That was eatin' man!
They never had Pizza when I was a boy.
Our lunch room ladies served everything out of a can. In East Gadsden it wasn't bullies who beat you up for your lunch money, it was mismanaged or stolen by the lunchroom or Principal. Could have been our Principal. Toward the end of the year, there was lots going on about the school accounts. Next day, the principal went into the bathroom off his office and hung himself. That was life on the poor side of town in the 50s...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the biggest winner out of college football cancelling will be the NFL. I think you will see games moved to Saturday Night. I guarantee you that if we cancel in a few weeks that the Saints vs Bucs game in week 1 will move from a 4:15 Sunday kick to a Saturday night kick.

But I ultimately I think canceling a college football will answer the question "Can you live without college football". I also think a cancellation may lead to a lot of fans just dropping it entirely because of how the game has been going and seems to be heading.

I think I can do without sports if it happens because I have plenty of things to do, and keep myself preoccupied. I think I can knock alot more good books off of the "Books to read before you croak" list. I will be disappointed if what looks to be happening happens, but ultimately I will get over it and look forward to next season.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think the biggest winner out of college football cancelling will be the NFL. I think you will see games moved to Saturday Night. I guarantee you that if we cancel in a few weeks that the Saints vs Bucs game in week 1 will move from a 4:15 Sunday kick to a Saturday night kick.

But I ultimately I think canceling a college football will answer the question "Can you live without college football". I also think a cancellation may lead to a lot of fans just dropping it entirely because of how the game has been going and seems to be heading.

I think I can do without sports if it happens because I have plenty of things to do, and keep myself preoccupied. I think I can knock alot more good books off of the "Books to read before you croak" list. I will be disappointed if what looks to be happening happens, but ultimately I will get over it and look forward to next season.
Which is exactly why I said in the basketball thread on this that I might not care if any of it comes back.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Which is exactly why I said in the basketball thread on this that I might not care if any of it comes back.
I would care if it didn't come back, but I have accepted that it is no longer a priority in my life like it once was. I can do without one year, but past that....

Personally the college game has made some changes that have lessened my love of the game. Namely overloading it with rules that favor the offense. My love for MLB and NFL has actually increased because of that. But I would be lying to say I wouldn't miss watching Alabama beat Tennessee again. So here is hoping for the best.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's just say I've gotten a lot of reading done and rediscovered I DO know how to play the piano still.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.