Question: Anybody Put Out a Garden?

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Last Friday, May 15th, I was able to get a garden out in Ohio. Why so late? Two words; frost and snow. Two weeks ago we had temps in the 20's at night, highs in the mid 40's to low 50's and even a few snow flurries.

I planted sweet corn, green beans, yellow squash and tomato's. In two weeks, I'll put some more things out.

What did you plant/

Reactions: 92tide

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Yes, Ive planted 70 tomato plants, sweet corn (peaches and cream), watermelon, cantaloupe, several kinds of peppers, straight neck squash, cucumbers, and butter beans. I enjoy gardening I hope to have a good crop this year but we will see. We too had frost last week in NW AL. Was able to cover my tomato plants and they weren’t harmed, thankfully, Trying a new tomato this year called Cherokee Purples. I’ve heard they’re very good.

ETA- forgot my green beans. I like rattlesnake beans. Seem to put out a good crop no matter the conditions.

Reactions: Bazza and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yes, Ive planted 70 tomato plants, sweet corn (peaches and cream), watermelon, cantaloupe, several kinds of peppers, straight neck squash, cucumbers, and butter beans. I enjoy gardening I hope to have a good crop this year but we will see. We too had frost last week in NW AL. Was able to cover my tomato plants and they weren’t harmed, thankfully, Trying a new tomato this year called Cherokee Purples. I’ve heard they’re very good.
that's quite a few tomatoes. my good friend is a tomato fiend and he kept me well supplied with several varieties every summer. they moved away 2 years ago, and i have missed having good, home-grown tomatoes.

in my previous house, i had a good productive garden for 2-3 years, then the tomato "blight" hit and once i couldn't get tomatoes to grow well, I stopped planting other stuff.

unfortunately, in our current yard, we don't have a spot that gets enough sunlight to grow any veggies with any consistency.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
that's quite a few tomatoes. my good friend is a tomato fiend and he kept me well supplied with several varieties every summer. they moved away 2 years ago, and i have missed having good, home-grown tomatoes.

in my previous house, i had a good productive garden for 2-3 years, then the tomato "blight" hit and once i couldn't get tomatoes to grow well, I stopped planting other stuff.

unfortunately, in our current yard, we don't have a spot that gets enough sunlight to grow any veggies with any consistency.
I had the blight last year. I moved spots this time and used baccto potting soil for each one. I’m told that will help. Also about to start spraying them with some antifungal spray to head it off because once it gets in there you’re done. We like doing a good size garden. We put up a lot and give a lot away too to family and friends. I’ve taught my nine year old son a lot of important life lessons from the garden.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I’ve got 3 Roma tomatoes, 2 Better Boys an Early Girl and a grape tomato. 7 bell peppers (green, red, yellow and orange), a Carolina Reaper and 3 jalapeños waiting to get a little size before I plant them. Got a couple long rows of corn, a couple rows of peas and 3 different kinds of watermelons. Got several rattlesnake green beans that volunteered to come up.
I’ll use the Roma’s for tomato juice for sauces and salsa. The jalapeños will go in the salsa. I don’t like real hot peppers so the Reaper is for fun and for anyone crazy to take a bite.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I’ve got 3 Roma tomatoes, 2 Better Boys an Early Girl and a grape tomato. 7 bell peppers (green, red, yellow and orange), a Carolina Reaper and 3 jalapeños waiting to get a little size before I plant them. Got a couple long rows of corn, a couple rows of peas and 3 different kinds of watermelons. Got several rattlesnake green beans that volunteered to come up.
I’ll use the Roma’s for tomato juice for sauces and salsa. The jalapeños will go in the salsa. I don’t like real hot peppers so the Reaper is for fun and for anyone crazy to take a bite.
We have doubled the size of our garden over the last two years. Picking our first squash and Zucchini. Just pulled up spinach after eating and freezing all winter and spring. Have three new varieties of beets that are being pulled selectively, great in salads. Have pole beans and bush beans out of the ground, they were great last year and freeze very well. Hoping that Brussels Sprouts will deliver our first crop this year. Very long growing season and tough to germinate. Have 19 tomatoes in the ground, a mix of determinate and indeterminate varieties. Had a difficult time getting good tomato plants from seed this year. Likewise two varieties of peppers just would not germinate. Also have multiple varieties of watermelon and a cantaloupe variety growing. Elephant garlic overwintered and will be pulled in June/July. Best ever result on that. Have had a few other successes and failures. There is is quite a lot to learn about four season gardening so I beginning to think that a garden diary would be helpful to do sequence planting in order to have longer seasons for cool season crops like spinach and lettuce.

Reactions: 92tide and Padreruf

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I had the blight last year. I moved spots this time and used baccto potting soil for each one. I’m told that will help. Also about to start spraying them with some antifungal spray to head it off because once it gets in there you’re done. We like doing a good size garden. We put up a lot and give a lot away too to family and friends. I’ve taught my nine year old son a lot of important life lessons from the garden.
i gave it a good college try for a couple of years after the blight hit, but it was for naught.

i distributed most of the excess to my neighbors so never really got into canning, although i wanted to try it.

Reactions: rolltide_21

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We have doubled the size of our garden over the last two years. Picking our first squash and Zucchini. Just pulled up spinach after eating and freezing all winter and spring. Have three new varieties of beets that are being pulled selectively, great in salads. Have pole beans and bush beans out of the ground, they were great last year and freeze very well. Hoping that Brussels Sprouts will deliver our first crop this year. Very long growing season and tough to germinate. Have 19 tomatoes in the ground, a mix of determinate and indeterminate varieties. Had a difficult time getting good tomato plants from seed this year. Likewise two varieties of peppers just would not germinate. Also have multiple varieties of watermelon and a cantaloupe variety growing. Elephant garlic overwintered and will be pulled in June/July. Best ever result on that. Have had a few other successes and failures. There is is quite a lot to learn about four season gardening so I beginning to think that a garden diary would be helpful to do sequence planting in order to have longer seasons for cool season crops like spinach and lettuce.
do you guys eat the beet greens? i'm not a huge fan of beets, but love the greens.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
do you guys eat the beet greens? i'm not a huge fan of beets, but love the greens.
My wife cuts off the greens when gathering beets and I shudder but she is selective with the greens she will eat. So we eat a lot of spinach and some kale and collards. I grew Lacinato kale this year. It is wonderful roasted so I don't protest not eating the the beet greens. :)

Reactions: 92tide

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I had some type of disease with the tomatoes I grew from seed this year and had to replant. I researched the Clemson site and there was a list of about 50 different diseases to consider. Yikes! I have some peach and apple trees on the farm and do regular spraying there including a fungicide. I agree with you about spraying tomatoes and will consider a copper fungicide as my first option. In our humid climate spraying will probably be required to get a good crop.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I had some type of disease with the tomatoes I grew from seed this year and had to replant. I researched the Clemson site and there was a list of about 50 different diseases to consider. Yikes! I have some peach and apple trees on the farm and do regular spraying there including a fungicide. I agree with you about spraying tomatoes and will consider a copper fungicide as my first option. In our humid climate spraying will probably be required to get a good crop.
10% milk in water makes a great fungicide. Neem oil and safer soap also works some but is better for insects if you are trying to avoid some commercial pesticides.

• Thank You
Reactions: Elefantman and UAH

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
10% milk in water makes a great fungicide. Neem oil and safer soap also works some but is better for insects if you are trying to avoid some commercial pesticides.
I have used Neem oil and insecticidal soap previously and have some on hand. I never spray when bees are pollinating and never do broad area spraying because of the birds that feed on the ground. It is a real battle however to avoid crops being ruined. I will take a close look at your milk and water suggestion.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Ms. Dub and I threw down two small gardens, one out front and one out back. Had to do something else with that big tiller I rented when I threw down sod. Curious to see which one does better and we'll expand one or the other based on that. Both get ample sun. Think it will be the back. Soil out front is just so dang rocky.

Out back. Corn, pole beans, various tomatoes, squash and melons.

Out front. Much the same but with bell peppers included.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I have used Neem oil and insecticidal soap previously and have some on hand. I never spray when bees are pollinating and never do broad area spraying because of the birds that feed on the ground. It is a real battle however to avoid crops being ruined. I will take a close look at your milk and water suggestion.
I've seen different ratios for it, some as much as 40/60. I've also seen a 1:2 ratio.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ms. Dub and I threw down two small gardens, one out front and one out back. Had to do something else with that big tiller I rented when I threw down sod. Curious to see which one does better and we'll expand one or the other based on that. Both get ample sun. Think it will be the back. Soil out front is just so dang rocky.

Out back. Corn, pole beans, various tomatoes, squash and melons.

Out front. Much the same but with bell peppers included.
Is the barefoot thing so ingrained with Auburnites that your wife has to shovel with no protection for her foot?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My garden last year was a bust. SO...
This year I planted a few Tomatoes,
and a few really hot Peppers.
Guess I'm gonna have to buy Okra, Corn, and
Sweet Onions.
On the bright side, I will not have to water as much garden in August and September.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Is the barefoot thing so ingrained with Auburnites that your wife has to shovel with no protection for her foot?
Oh, ha-ha. She bought a mint plant on a whim for Sadie and just had to get it in the ground. And it isn't just her. House full of women and I'm apparently the only one that knows how shoes work.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.