Question: Anyone else caught off guard by the new overtime rules?

Sep 30, 2002
Knoxville, TN USA
So we were in the third overtime. I stepped away to the bathroom and when I came back, we were lined up near the goal line and the screen said, "2-point Conversion." I was thinking, "Whoa! We scored a touchdown and I missed it! But why does our score still say 20 points...?"

So yeah, this one somehow flew completely over my head.

One thing I'll say, though; this will likely end the seven and eight-overtime games, and the extremely long time it can take for a game to end.

Anyone else caught by surprise on this one?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
After some 7-overtime game two or three years ago, the competition committee changed the rules to this.
Personally, I prefer getting the ball on the 25. There is more "normal" football strategy to the overtime this way (on 4th and short do I go for the 1st down, or kick the FG, and hope my D holds the other guy's to a FG?).
Getting the ball on the 3 for a 2-point conversion is just weird, and, I would argue, more likely to result in more overtime periods (since there is only an opportunity for 2 points and the turn is an on/off decision).

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAlinKnoxville

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I was. I haven't watched any OT games in a long while. I had heard there were changes, but didn't know what. It had me a bit worried at first. But the Tide pulled it out.

keith024

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 13, 2007
I was. Knew it had been changed but didn’t realize we went for 2 points like that

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I knew about the new rule and saw it earlier this season when PSU (or SPU if you prefer) lost to Illinois in 9 OT's. I'm not a big fan of this deciding a winner this way, it's like soccer using penalty kicks, but they didn't ask for my opinion.

Reactions: Crimson1967

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So we were in the third overtime. I stepped away to the bathroom and when I came back, we were lined up near the goal line and the screen said, "2-point Conversion." I was thinking, "Whoa! We scored a touchdown and I missed it! But why does our score still say 20 points...?"

One thing I'll say, though; this will likely end the seven and eight-overtime games, and the extremely long time it can take for a game to end.

No.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

Nope. Got a good look with Illinois- Penn State.

Reactions: Padreruf

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was aware that there had been changes, and that at some point, it reverted to 2-point conversion plays. But I didn’t know the details until they were posted on the TV screen.

Also, I read or heard somewhere that coaches wanted this at least in part to prevent injuries resulting from fatigue. As in, you may have the same number of overtime periods, or even more. But each one will consist of only one play for each team. Also, for each side of the ball (O and D), there will be a rest period about the length of a full time-out between those single plays as the teams switch ends of the stadium.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was because of the 9 OT game earlier with Illinois and Penn St. I think it was the first one I had watched that went that far,
Yeah, I learned about it then as the final score was similar to the IB after 9 OTs.

I'm fine with the change - both teams get a chance and you don't end up with a 4+ hours football game. Both Bama and Abruun were exhausted by the end of that game - both football (overall) and technique (specifically) go out the window when you get tired and that's when injuries are more likely to occur.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Harsin blew it not going for 2 on their first TD and trying to end the game. We had momentum and their D was gassed. Run your best 2 pt play and go for the win

Reactions: crimsonaudio

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I knew about it from that preposterous Illinois/Penn State game earlier this year that went to 8 OTs.

Hate the rule and would be furious if we lost an Iron Bowl in a "shootout."

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I wasn't noticing anything until I watched the Penn State-Illinois game early in the year that went 9OT's. I just don't like the "one play for everything" approach.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I knew about it from that preposterous Illinois/Penn State game earlier this year that went to 8 OTs.

Hate the rule and would be furious if we lost an Iron Bowl in a "shootout."
That's not what the word "shootout" typically means.

Like it or not, it's logically a significant improvement over the old system - which strongly favored certain teams (schemes or anyone with a great kicker) over others, significantly lengthened (at least potentially) the games, and measurably increased the occurrence of injuries.

Let's think about this logically, examining the alternatives - CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT THE GAME WAS TIED AT THE END OF REGULATION.

Option 1: Go back to it being a tie.
- If you prefer this, I have no time for you.

Option 2: Return to the old system.
- You/We complained about this one so much - plus the aforementioned downsides - that they changed it. Go to the back of the class and have a seat.

Option 3: Switch to the NFL System
- Which one? They've tried, what three different systems now and people still aren't happy?

Option 4: Switch to something no one has conceived, yet.
- Give the specifics, the pros, and the cons and then we'll talk.

Think about your all-time classic, hard-fought, close football games. How did the best of those end? Depending upon your perspective, either a last-minute score or a last-minute stop.

HOW IS THIS REALLY ANY DIFFERENT?

Except, of course, that both teams get a shot instead of just the team that happened to get the ball (or get the stop) last before time ran out.

Maybe the problem is the terminology...

CURRENT OVERTIME RULES:
First Overtime: Dueling Scoring Possessions (Each team gets the ball, 1st and 10, at the 25.)
Second Overtime: Dueling Scoring Possessions, no PATs (Each team gets the ball, 1st and 10, at the 25. If a TD is scored, you cannot just kick a PAT.)
Third Overtime, and Following: Dueling Goal-Line Stands, No Field-Goals (Each team gets the ball, 4th and Goal, at the 3 yard line. No Field Goals or PATs are allowed. TDs in these overtime periods are worth only 2 points with no extra points available.)

Does that terminology make it sit a little better???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.