Apollo Astronauts

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
5ca376e1c6cc50389475d879-1136-728.jpg

From left to right: Charlie Duke (Apollo 16), Buzz Aldrin (Apollo 11), Walter Cunningham (Apollo 7), Al Worden (Apollo 15), Rusty Schweickart (Apollo 9), Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17), Michael Collins (Apollo 11) and Fred Haise (Apollo 13). Felix Kunze/The Explorers Club

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I saw a video of some conspiracy theory nutter confronting Buzz Aldrin and yelling, "You didn't land on the moon! You're a coward and a liar." Aldrin punched him.
A great moment in the Apollo program.

Gutsy men, operating on very thin margins of safety.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
I've endorsed it here before, but "In the Shadow of the Moon" is a really fascinating documentary of these men and the Apollo program. My favorite interviews from it were from Michael Collins, and Gene Cernan

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
A one hour Nova episode "Apollo's Daring Mission" is on PBS right now. I've seen it before and as all Nova productions are - it's fantastic.

If you get a chance to watch it - it's well worthwhile.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
For me, watching in real time, Apollo 8, Jim Lovell, Frank Borman, William Anders was the one that effected me the most (in a positive way).

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Another hidden figure: Clyde Foster brought color to NASA

Over three decades, he recruited hundreds of African Americans into the space program
By Michael A. Fletcher July 8, 2019

Clyde Foster came of age in Alabama in the 1950s, a place and time so oppressive for African Americans that a former Nazi rocket scientist stood out as a figure of racial moderation. Foster’s father worked at a Birmingham iron foundry, where the dirtiest, most backbreaking jobs were reserved for African Americans. Every day he would come home dog-tired, prompting his son to vow that he would earn a living using his mind, not his back. By itself, that was an audacious plan for a black man living in Alabama.
Click on title above for rest of story. Nice article.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
They shot another rocket off tonight. Whole house shook including windows. LOUD sonic boom too!

Because of overcast weather - I couldn't see it from my front yard.
---------------

At 6:01 p.m. EDT, or 22:01 UTC, on Thursday, July 25, SpaceX launched its eighteenth Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-18) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Dragon separated from Falcon 9’s second stage about nine minutes after liftoff. The Dragon spacecraft supporting the CRS-18 mission previously supported the CRS-6 mission in April 2015 and the CRS-13 mission in December 2017. Following stage separation, SpaceX recovered Falcon 9’s first stage on Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
-----------

(the action starts at about the 15 minute mark in the video below)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They shot another rocket off tonight. Whole house shook including windows. LOUD sonic boom too!

---------------

At 6:01 p.m. EDT, or 22:01 UTC, on Thursday, July 25, SpaceX launched its eighteenth Commercial Resupply Services mission (CRS-18) from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Dragon separated from Falcon 9’s second stage about nine minutes after liftoff. The Dragon spacecraft supporting the CRS-18 mission previously supported the CRS-6 mission in April 2015 and the CRS-13 mission in December 2017. Following stage separation, SpaceX recovered Falcon 9’s first stage on Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
-----------

I think it caught up and docked yesterday. I read an interesting article translated from the Russian recently. Basically, what it said was that the Kremlin had dropped the ball and the rise of private space exploration in the US had doomed the Russians, who'd chosen to stick with the Soyuz capsule, which hasn't been materially changed since the '60s. I didn't really realize it, but the Russian government has been making a killing off space tourists and supplying the ISS. Now, the Soyuz will end up only ferrying up Russian cosmonauts...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

---------------

-----------

I don't know why, but the returning of the stage 1 rocket is amazing to me. The engineers who designed and built that thing must be amazing.
Economically, it makes sense. If an airline used planes once and then threw them away, air travel would be really expensive, so reusing a rocket makes sense. Technically, though, this seems enormously difficult to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.