Arch Manning, Texas, and NILs

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Part of my beffudlement with this situation (millions of NIL dollars aside) is that Sark has proven to be a pretty mediocre head coach and got off to a less than mediocre start in Texas. This would not have been a major destination if not for NIL dollars.

Having said that, I think this can be a bit like the Mike Shula situation could have become. If Shula had landed Tebow and then the recruits that came with Tebow it could have covered for obvious deficiencies for quite some time. If they keep pumping enough NIL dollars into Texas, the team likely performs too well for him to be fired. This is why I think there was some initial reluctance but, a fair point could be made that if someone like Chizik can win with a bought and paid for QB that Texas can enjoy success using NIL as well.
Tebow would not have made a difference in Shula's trajectory anymore than Arch is going to for Sark.

Both coaches are extremely flawed from a leadership standpoint, which is why they are failures as head coaches even if they've both been successful at the coordinator level.

I have no ill will towards Arch Manning at all, and I'm happy for him no more or less than any other 18 year old that I have zero business knowing why they make the choices they've made. I do not think he would have made any difference whatsoever to Alabama's or Nick Saban's level of success over the next 3 or 4 years. Literally zero difference. Perhaps he makes a difference for Texas, but it won't be under Sark, IMO.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
By the way, I'm sure everyone is shocked to see this but an A&M staffer was caught on camera talking about players being paid. I'll wait for Jimbo's next red faced press conference where he yells at his staffer and wishes he'd been slapped more and what not.

I expect this video to be deleted any time now... :rolleyes:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
By the way, I'm sure everyone is shocked to see this but an A&M staffer was caught on camera talking about players being paid. I'll wait for Jimbo's next red faced press conference where he yells at his staffer and wishes he'd been slapped more and what not.

So when is jimbo's press conference to defend this?

Reactions: KrAzY3

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It’s really disgusting the way the people in the comment section are now getting furious with the players. Theses were the same people bragging about how the NIL “made things fair with the player”
People want "fair" until they realize it didn't do what the thought it would, and did what they never thought it would.

"The fair comes in October"- My wife to her students

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In spite of everything that has been said and written about where Manning was going to play college football, Alabama was never going to get him. I have always thought that the Manning family had an axe to grind with Alabama and as far as I know neither Archie, Peyton or Eli had any intentions of attending Alabama. I am a little surprised that Arch did not sign with UGA though. I also think that the Mannings had an axe to grind with Kiffin which ruled out Ole Miss. He is where he needs to be.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm not convinced lightning is going to strike a 4th time in the Manning family. The odds of 4 hall of fame level QB's coming from the loins of a single individual have got to be pretty astronomical. I know to some degree the name opens every opportunity for him but he's still got to produce. On the subject of NLI I'm sure Manning is in better shape to handle that money since it's not new to him to have wealth, but I can see a lot of high school guys pretty much flaming out once they get handed that first big check. I don't think it will be too much of a problem for Sabanites because you don't go to Alabama to get an NLI check, you go to Alabama under Saban to become the best you can be. But once he retires I can see this being a recurring problem.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Unfortunately, I foresee my interest in college football waning in the near future. I hope it doesn't. It just feels like if I wanted to watch the pro football, I'd watch pro football. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I didn't articulate that well. My statement has nothing to do with Manning. I'm just complaining that I am afraid that the game is changing to something I'll be less interested in.
I have said this exact same thing.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
In spite of everything that has been said and written about where Manning was going to play college football, Alabama was never going to get him. I have always thought that the Manning family had an axe to grind with Alabama and as far as I know neither Archie, Peyton or Eli had any intentions of attending Alabama. I am a little surprised that Arch did not sign with UGA though. I also think that the Mannings had an axe to grind with Kiffin which ruled out Ole Miss. He is where he needs to be.

I don't think that's accurate. Manning family loves Saban.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't think any animosity or history had anything to do whatsoever with Manning not choosing Alabama.

We didn't need him. He was not a priority and I would bet he was absolutely a priority for every other program recruiting him, especially Texas.

That said, if Sark were still at Alabama, maybe things are different. But again, where was the need? This isn't 2008 and certainly not 2004.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.