Are bowl games relevant anymore?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When that lack of value is reflected in loss of money-making, then they will go away. I think that, when 5-7 teams go to a bowl game, there may be too many, but they still have relevance. Extra practice days, players get to go and play someplace different. Fans get to follow them. the four-letter sports network gets to broadcast them.
December is a dead month for television. Most serial programs are "out-of-season" or taking a "mid-season break" until after the holidays. There will continue to be some commercial value in these bowl games even if the quality of said games diminishes greatly as participation business decisions are made more common.

In other words, these games are going to have to get pretty damn bad for bowls to out-live their commercial utility.

BamaBoyinSC

Oct 8, 2013
If by rest of the games you mean the other Bowl games? I'm sure Vols fans are just like most of us. If the team match up interest them they will watch because they like college football. They are probably more inclined to watch SEC teams.

Sure - fans of the individual teams will value the games that their team plays in. But what about all of the rest of the games for those Vols fans?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'll tell you what will happen to bowls before they die though:

They will go through an austerity phase where more and more of the bowls become like the Independence Bowl woes I wrote about above. Before they die, they'll make everyone who got themselves roped into having to go to the bowl wishing they could die first by "right sizing" their costs for hosting the teams and their support.

My dialectics are undefeatable. lol

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I use to really look forward to bowls. I’d even try to watch as many as I could. Now, they will just be noise in the background as I do something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
I use to really look forward to bowls. I’d even try to watch as many as I could. Now, they will just be noise in the background as I do something else.

THIS , bowls are fine, some night i might see the vols and ucla, that looks interesting, i'll check it out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bowl games are the shopping malls of college sports. Once so important to have the absolute biggest one and something you couldn't get elsewhere, a fad that increased in interest up to the point something else was available - and now nothing more than awaiting demolition as a relic of what used to be.

The sad thing is that they DID take New Year's Day from us. God that was special - frustrating as hell - but special.

They'll never do it anymore, but wouldn't it be super awesome to have a January 1 day of introductory bowl games and then have - like the old days - head-to-head games on television on the night of January 1 as the semi-final games on different channels?

Unlike the old days, everyone nowadays would be able to tune into both games at the same time.

I'm old enough to remember when which bowl game you watched was a VERY SERIOUS choice you made - unless (like me) you were the oldest and thus your Dad's remote every time the primary game went to commercial ("quick, flip it to the other one!")

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Having expressed my cynicism......a couple of things.

1) Bowl games are cheap for ESPN to broadcast - which is why they're not going anywhere any time soon.

rgw covered a lot of this, but the reality is that it doesn't matter to them if the stadium is empty. They can do some camera positioning to make it look fuller than it is, and they will broadcast it for pennies on the dollar and profit from even a makeshift bowl game.

2) They also royally screw the school that can't sell tickets.

I don't know if you read Dan Wetzel's book "Death to the BCS," but he laid out in there by a bowl game for a team like UCONN (when they went to the Orange Bowl) can be like being stricken with a serious virus because YOUR SCHOOL has to buy up the ticket allotment for the school, and they often lose money.

3) Bowl games went from being sought after experiences to consolation prizes.

We've gone from the Sugar Bowl being that Alabama had to win to claim the national championship to, "Hey, you lost the Iron Bowl to Auburn - who is playing FSU for the title? Well, your reward is a game against Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl!"

And rest assured that what happened to Tua is now in the back of the minds of everyone. It's happened before that a guy wound up seriously falling in the draft or not having much of an NFL career as was expected (which is why Willis McGahee took out that insurance policy before the BCS title game back in 2002).

====================================

But I miss the atmospherics and feeling that we were a part of something big (even though that was an illusion).

On January 2, 1984, I was in the ninth grade at Sembach AFB, (then) West Germany. It was a Monday - in fact, it was the day we had to go back to school, which royally stunk. Remember that it is a seven-hour time difference between Tuscaloosa and Kaiserslautern (where I basically lived). So that meant that the 1984 NYD bowl games kicked off with the Cotton Bowl, which started at 740pm my time back when I had a 9pm bed time, worked 3-4 hours per day after school (3-7 pm) and was struggling in Algebra.

So I've never once seen the famous Miami vs Nebraska Orange Bowl where Osborne went for the PAT and Notre Dame hack Don Criqui spent the telecast defending what Notre Dame did in 1966 as okay (note: I've heard part of the game and just rolled my eyes on that one).

But every game was important. Well almost every game.

The Cotton Bowl mattered because Texas was undefeated and needed to win to stake a title claim.
The Sugar Bowl mattered because if Nebraska and Texas both lost then Auburn had a shot.
The Rose Bowl mattered because if Texas and Nebraska AND Auburn lost then Illinois had a shot at the championship.
The Orange Bowl mattered because if Miami could beat Nebraska and Texas lost, they had a legitimate title shot.

The Sugar and Orange Bowls were on at the same time back then.

And I didn't see a single play of any of the games. The "big deal" for me was a buddy of mine was an UGA fan and had the audio tape of the last 10 min of the fourth qtr that he brought to school and loaned me. The excitement was incredible.

But I had an intense interest in MANY games on that one day. Some mattered conditioned on what happened later.

But even those removed from the national title were important. Alabama drew Southern Methodist and got a lot of condescending "we should be playing someone better" as the Mustangs got stang by Alabama.

I remember watching the very last CFB game of the 1970s, a thing called the Bluebonnet Bowl pitting Tennessee against Purdue. I didn't know anything about anybody playing, but it SEEMED important. It was a big deal. Back in those days, in fact, good luck finding the game on TV. There were many bowl games that I don't think ever even aired in my neck of the woods. There was a syndicated sports channel called Mizlou that would sell the bowl games to the networks (in fact, Coach Bryant's last game in the Liberty Bowl - if you watch it on the original telecast - a syndication group called Metro Sports oversaw it and sold it to ESPN).

Of course, in 1978 when I watched my first-ever CFB bowl game - the Tangerine Bowl between NC State (and my uncle lived in NC) and Pitt - there were only 15 total bowl games.

We've gained a lot, but we've lost a lot, too - and it's never coming back, either.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
If you’ve got a young team, the extra practice is a benefit. With so many bowls now, you almost have to be a bad team to avoid one. I liked back in the day when there were few bowls and Coach Bryant decided who was playing. :)

Bringing back the Bacardi Bowl is intriguing, though :)

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
They're relevant in the sense that it gives us more football to watch - especially as we approach Christmas through New Years. The money is there for broadcasting 6-6 teams or even the occasional 6-7 team. As long as that's the case, games will go on. However, my general view on sports is if no one is showing up in the stands for games that don't matter, why should I care about said matchup?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're relevant in the sense that it gives us more football to watch - especially as we approach Christmas through New Years. The money is there for broadcasting 6-6 teams or even the occasional 6-7 team. As long as that's the case, games will go on. However, my general view on sports is if no one is showing up in the stands for games that don't matter, why should I care about said matchup?
And as I've enumerated, I think it is destined to become much worse for those who support the team and fans because the money will start to tightening up and the "congeniality" of the bowl committee will be the first "excess" on the chopping block.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I like the bowl games. They are good for the programs for the extra practice. Players get to travel to different parts of the country and be rewarded for playing hard. I personally like to see teams that normally do not play each other get a chance to compete. No, has nothing to do with a championship but it is kind of a bonus for us fans to see a lot of football being played in the twilight of the season.

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
Bowl games have gone the way of the participation trophy,... That lessens the meaning of post season play IMO. Less bowls might make them a little more relevant.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
This is really a rhetorical question. I’d like everyone’s thoughts about what you think needs to be done to either make them relevant again or do away with them.

For the purposes of the extra practices and for the young men to travel. Yes.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This is really a rhetorical question. I’d like everyone’s thoughts about what you think needs to be done to either make them relevant again or do away with them.

Other than two or three bowls each year, I don't think bowls have ever been relevant. They are simply a chance to see your team play another game, give the players more practices, make some money, and give the players a trip with some free crap. That is what they have always been.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.