Are P5 conferences becoming one team races?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Idk about 1999. I still think Bama and Michigan were the best teams. But even if they weren’t making it to the NC makes Michigan’s history look a lot better than it is.
I'll agree on that. In all honesty - without the La Tech fourth down heave into the end zone, we play Florida St for the national title that year. Samuels then plays and who knows? There's a big cry about how "Va Tech got screwed," but Alabama played a monster schedule that year, and the BCS would have looked past that loss to Tennessee and focused on the two wins over Florida and a bunch of other winning teams.

I watched so little non-SEC ball in 1999, I'll have to defer to your comments on Brady-Henson. I was battling some PTSD depression at the time, so my recall of a lot of stuff is hazy for those months.

06 I think Florida wasn’t being denied but I still think Michigan was better than Ohio St that year.
I missed the Mich-Ohio St game because I was attending my then sister-in-law's THIRD wedding (she's since divorced and married again and this one, too, is on the rocks - if you've been married four times, well, it's probably YOU as Tim Wilson sang). Coincidentally, Bo died a day or so before that game (since I was talking about him).

What bothered me IMMENSELY about that game was the fact that the ESPN mouth breathers and Northwestern grads who glom onto the good teams in the B1G spent six weeks trying to get us all ready to interpret Michigan-Ohio St as "if it's close, they get to play again." I was not reflexively opposed to the idea of a rematch so long as you could genuinely argue these were still 1-2. But we'd just had Auburn get blocked out two years earlier, LSU shared a title the year before that, and if Alabama had managed to not get Prothro hurt and go unbeaten, we'd have been home undefeated and watching USC vs Texas because of the hype.

A number of them tried to control the narrative of "these are the best two teams." Bomani Jones - based mostly on the fact he's a Georgia-born hater of Florida actually said (you can find it online) - "These are, without question, the two best teams in America." He also said this - and I quote - " The Wolverines are the only team with a chance of even staying close with Ohio State."

Well, he's correct that Florida did NOT "stay close with Ohio State," LOL!!!!

No, what bothered me was a bunch of the Big Ten grads TRYING TO CREATE THE MATCH UP rather than let the system play out. I think that's wrong regardless. Look, I had no qualms BEFORE the 2011 LSU game of a rematch IF that's what the system produced - yes, even if we had to beat them a second time. And yes, Verne and Gary (in particular) began the "well what if" scenario, but there was a major difference: they made the point that EVERYONE ELSE had to lose to set it up. The 2006 scenario wanted to pretend that everyone else was blocked off even though the SEC had two ten-win teams facing each other in a conference championship that never mattered (amazing, eh?) until 2011.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'll agree on that. In all honesty - without the La Tech fourth down heave into the end zone, we play Florida St for the national title that year. Samuels then plays and who knows? There's a big cry about how "Va Tech got screwed," but Alabama played a monster schedule that year, and the BCS would have looked past that loss to Tennessee and focused on the two wins over Florida and a bunch of other winning teams.

I watched so little non-SEC ball in 1999, I'll have to defer to your comments on Brady-Henson. I was battling some PTSD depression at the time, so my recall of a lot of stuff is hazy for those months.

I missed the Mich-Ohio St game because I was attending my then sister-in-law's THIRD wedding (she's since divorced and married again and this one, too, is on the rocks - if you've been married four times, well, it's probably YOU as Tim Wilson sang). Coincidentally, Bo died a day or so before that game (since I was talking about him).

What bothered me IMMENSELY about that game was the fact that the ESPN mouth breathers and Northwestern grads who glom onto the good teams in the B1G spent six weeks trying to get us all ready to interpret Michigan-Ohio St as "if it's close, they get to play again." I was not reflexively opposed to the idea of a rematch so long as you could genuinely argue these were still 1-2. But we'd just had Auburn get blocked out two years earlier, LSU shared a title the year before that, and if Alabama had managed to not get Prothro hurt and go unbeaten, we'd have been home undefeated and watching USC vs Texas because of the hype.

A number of them tried to control the narrative of "these are the best two teams." Bomani Jones - based mostly on the fact he's a Georgia-born hater of Florida actually said (you can find it online) - "These are, without question, the two best teams in America." He also said this - and I quote - " The Wolverines are the only team with a chance of even staying close with Ohio State."

Well, he's correct that Florida did NOT "stay close with Ohio State," LOL!!!!

No, what bothered me was a bunch of the Big Ten grads TRYING TO CREATE THE MATCH UP rather than let the system play out. I think that's wrong regardless. Look, I had no qualms BEFORE the 2011 LSU game of a rematch IF that's what the system produced - yes, even if we had to beat them a second time. And yes, Verne and Gary (in particular) began the "well what if" scenario, but there was a major difference: they made the point that EVERYONE ELSE had to lose to set it up. The 2006 scenario wanted to pretend that everyone else was blocked off even though the SEC had two ten-win teams facing each other in a conference championship that never mattered (amazing, eh?) until 2011.
My honest opinion is in 1999 Alabama and Michigan were handy capped by dumb coaches. Alabama’s is atleast forgivable because Dubose couldn’t beat Fulmer if his life depended on it.

Carr on the other hand had the defense “ well I gave y’all a ring 2 years ago so I’m starting Brady” if he wanted to use it. Even Nick Saban has said over the years that he never understood why Carr benched Brady in a tied game and let Henson dig a double possession hole.

But I think it might’ve worked out for the best for Alabama and Tom Brady that neither played in the national championship that year.

Reactions: Con

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My honest opinion is in 1999 Alabama and Michigan were handy capped by dumb coaches. Alabama’s is atleast forgivable because Dubose couldn’t beat Fulmer if his life depended on it.

Carr on the other hand had the defense “ well I gave y’all a ring 2 years ago so I’m starting Brady” if he wanted to use it. Even Nick Saban has said over the years that he never understood why Carr benched Brady in a tied game and let Henson dig a double possession hole.

But I think it might’ve worked out for the best for Alabama and Tom Brady that neither played in the national championship that year.
Michigan is a lot like Alabama. In a 12-game season, they are virtually a shoo-in to win eight games if they merely picked all 3-stars from their own state. That's regardless of who is coach UNLESS that coach is horrific (insert Rich Rod reference here).

Ray Perkins won 10 games.
Bill Curry was 10-0 at one point.
Mike Dubious won ten games.
Franchione won ten games.
MIKE SHULA won 10 games with a team crippled by:
a) sanctions
b) the injury to Prothro
c) Shula's coaching overall

Keep in mind that Perkins and Curry won those ten games back when there was no additional game in the SEC title, there were fewer regular season games, and the schedule you faced OOC tended to be significantly more difficult (Perkins faced Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Penn State in 1986, the year he won ten games).

The coach hired is the difference at both Alabama and Michigan between being a 10-win team and a 12-win team in the playoffs. I think we'd have to say Michigan has dramatically under achieved for over a half century now.

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.