Poll: Are we starting to see the value of cupcake games?

Does 2020 prove cupcake games are beneficial to development

• Yes

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Over the years many have griped about cupcake games, but in this season we have seen Florida, Alabama, and LSU all give up lots of points. But it seems going straight into conference play without tune ups or spring training has been a factor across the SEC and college landscape. I think Clemson is the only one totally unaffected and that is probably because they play nothing but cupcakes.

I think there are multiple issues, but one of them is a live inferior Non SEC opponent running a game plan against us.

Reactions: Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I voted no because 2020 is too much of an anomaly in other ways that have impacted play - like no spring practice or scrimmages, and a very limited summer program. This is but one item in a pile of crap that has already happened this year.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I don't think it's so much that people don't see the value in them, it's just that we don't like them for a bevy of reasons - early kicks, hot weather, no-name opponents, boring football to watch. Sure, it's nice to have a warm-up, but this season has been a heck of a lot more fun to watch.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It definitely makes a difference. Also, there is no time to develop depth; no way to get the freshmen built up against a couple Western Kentucky's.
Yes, but the question is "what does 2020 prove", and 2020 doesn't prove anything because of all of the other lost development time. Do this in a year when the teams have all of the other development time back and let's see the results.

Nothing is proven, no matter how anyone might believe it might have been.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes, but the question is "what does 2020 prove", and 2020 doesn't prove anything because of all of the other lost development time. Do this in a year when the teams have all of the other development time back and let's see the results.

Nothing is proven, no matter how anyone might believe it might have been.
I can't argue with that, but I doubt we will see this schedule again any time soon in order to make a direct comparison.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I can't argue with that, but I doubt we will see this schedule again any time soon in order to make a direct comparison.
To be clear, if he had just asked if I believe that cupcake games aide in player development, I would have answered yes. And not just for the starters. So many younger players see the field in those games.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Cupcake games give the reserves a chance to play and a chance for starters to get some rest. With all conference play this season we could have a 2 loss team make the playoff.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I voted yes, but 2020 doesn't prove this. All the pervious years proved this out, IMO. There is a reason most contenders schedule the cupcakes early - got to work out the kinks before you play conference games.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I vote yes, because it gives you a chance to run your scheme and work on things without any real danger of losing the game. It gives the young guys a live look at things and how to react. It's a glorified practice, but it's still a good learning tool. With an all SEC schedule there's no chance to do that.

Reactions: Con

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This is a weird year, but yes I've always seen the value in playing the sort of game that lets you put your second and third string in.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I know this sounds crazy, but wouldn't it be kinda cool if the average season allowed for maybe 2 "preseason" games against nonpower 5 schools. These games could still be attended by fans. The power 5 school still pays out a big payday to fund the schools that need it. But the "game" doesn't count in the standings and serves as a tuneup for when the power 5 season starts. We could even still play a 10 game conference schedule which I think everyone is loving and maybe still schedule at least one big OOC game each year too. I'm sure there would be lots of bugs to work out, but overall it would provide teams a to play "cupcakes" and help out their budgets, but it would not allow for power 5 teams to pad their schedules with a bunch of easy games.

Reactions: The Ols

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know this sounds crazy, but wouldn't it be kinda cool if the average season allowed for maybe 2 "preseason" games against nonpower 5 schools. These games could still be attended by fans. The power 5 school still pays out a big payday to fund the schools that need it. But the "game" doesn't count in the standings and serves as a tuneup for when the power 5 season starts. We could even still play a 10 game conference schedule which I think everyone is loving and maybe still schedule at least one big OOC game each year too. I'm sure there would be lots of bugs to work out, but overall it would provide teams a to play "cupcakes" and help out their budgets, but it would not allow for power 5 teams to pad their schedules with a bunch of easy games.
Would only happen if they cut the schedule back to 10 games from 12. Can't ask the kids to play even more games.

Akazo

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 22, 2010
I voted NO because our D is no better now than week 1. What benefit would beating a cupcake have given us?

Reactions: Dave'stwin

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Would only happen if they cut the schedule back to 10 games from 12. Can't ask the kids to play even more games.
I've heard this all my life but the regular season schedule has increased from 8 to 10 to 12 in recent history. Plus we've added 1-3 more games with conference championship games and the current playoff. And that's with a month long break between conference championship games and the playoffs. I realize semester exams fall in between the two, but with tutors and remote learning/testing that could be worked around if the season got pushed another week or so in Dec.

If we did something like this, I think it might be necessary to shorten the regular season by maybe 1 week, but that would still allow for 10 conference games and 1 OOC game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.