Are we that worried Nate Oats would bail this soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
If he leaves, the reasons will be financial (Bama refusing to match an offer or a demand on facilities) rather than structural, unless the NBA comes calling.

But I'll say this, spend your yearly plea asking for an improvement on facilities, RBR.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Also if this is a teaser title moderators please fix. I just thought it odd that a Bama site would publish something like this
Naah ... I just take it as a columnist trying to have something different to talk about in the middle of a successful run. I wouldn't see it as something to worry about with the status of CNO.

LA BamaCarl

Scout Team
Apr 12, 2020
Enterprise, Alabama
Greg Byrnes deserves a lot of credit for bringing in the right coach. Now Alabama Basketball has a chance to be relevant again for the first time in a long time. He needs to make a commitment to keep it that way, just like what was done with football. There is more excitement about basketball than there has been since the days of Wimp. Please do what it takes to keep it that way.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Greg Byrnes deserves a lot of credit for bringing in the right coach. Now Alabama Basketball has a chance to be relevant again for the first time in a long time. He needs to make a commitment to keep it that way, just like what was done with football. There is more excitement about basketball than there has been since the days of Wimp. Please do what it takes to keep it that way.
This version, at this moment, is better than Wimp's or CM's. It's more fun and more effective. Alabama would be foolish to let CNO loose for any reason. It's can't be for lack of money, lack of facilities, lack of moral support or jealousy by the football program. Basketball can be a blast, it can also help football recruiting and just the sense of well-being that success in a major endeavor brings to the entire University.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The facilities are an issue. Coleman is terribly outdated, and it’s about impossible to effectively update. Problem is, I heard Byrne say that to scrape it and build a new facility would be $75M - $100M more expensive than yet another renovation.

Think on this: Prior to Coleman, Alabama basketball played in Foster Auditorium. Foster was built in 1939.

Memorial Coliseum opened for the 1969 season — when Foster was 30 years old.

Memorial (now Coleman) Coliseum is therefore 51 years old. Yes, it’s been renovated several times. But still....it’s nearly twice as old as Foster was when it was replaced.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Bama has never been a destination job in basketball for anyone that wants to coach at the highest level of the sport. I would like to see that change but it would require massive investments in facilities and commitment from the administration and the donors that has never been there before.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And now Byrne is being mentioned for the Pac 12 commish job. Not much we can do about that, but I hope they go in another direction.

Pay Oats. Pay him well. Fix the gym issue. And to fix it, Coleman needs to be razed and a new arena built. It's utterly ridiculous we can't do that yet Auburn and Ole Miss can. As for the cost, yes it is more expensive than when they did it. Guess what? Every year you wait, the more expensive it is going to get. Build the new arena. Treat basketball with the same respect as football. That doesn't mean you have to spend the same amount of money. We are talking about 100 players and 20 coaches vs. 15 players and 4 coaches. Just give it the same level of respect.

It is doable. It will produce revenue. There will be fan support. Listen. I would be interested in season tickets post-Covid. I will never ever buy football season tickets, whether they were affordable or not. I have zero interest in attending a football game these days. But I'd love to watch Alabama basketball under Nate Oats. I used to go to games all the time when we were doing well under Gottfried and it was a blast. I would love to take my sons to a game in this era. I know there has to be many more fans that feel the same way I do.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And oh by the way when it comes to Nate Oats, and maybe it was mentioned in that article, but you've got Duke, North Carolina, and Syracuse with coaches in their 70s.

I understand Alabama's place in the traditional pecking order of college basketball. But we've got the ability to spend on the same level as these places. Alabama can win championships in basketball. I really wish we would do what it takes to get there and maintain it. It is still early, but I feel like we've got the HC to do it. Let's surround him with the infrastructure he needs. These other programs have definitely taken notice of what he's done here in a short time. When their legends retire, he will be on their lists.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It really comes down to this—as long as we fail to make needed investments in facilities and lack donor support, we will continue to be a mediocre to average program that will never retain any elite coach for the long term and that makes a short run in the tournament once every 10 years or so and that’s about it. Both the money and donors are there, we just need someone in leadership that’s sees the potential for what kind of program we could be and that can marshal the resources in that direction. Coleman is an outdated, antiquated building that cannot be renovated into what we need.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
And oh by the way when it comes to Nate Oats, and maybe it was mentioned in that article, but you've got Duke, North Carolina, and Syracuse with coaches in their 70s.

I understand Alabama's place in the traditional pecking order of college basketball. But we've got the ability to spend on the same level as these places. Alabama can win championships in basketball. I really wish we would do what it takes to get there and maintain it. It is still early, but I feel like we've got the HC to do it. Let's surround him with the infrastructure he needs. These other programs have definitely taken notice of what he's done here in a short time. When their legends retire, he will be on their lists.
I'm thinking the biggest threat is a NBA job.

Reactions: bamacon

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

We need to just quit being just a football school I hope Greg Byrne sees this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.