Are you for - or against the death penalty?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I'm mostly asking about your personal convictions, not necessarily how you feel about policy.

But feel free to also opine on any related aspect you'd like.

========

Generally I am against it. But have to say my convictions are tested when I see situations like these 4 young people who were recently murdered in Idaho.....

Reactions: Con

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm mostly asking about your personal convictions, not necessarily how you feel about policy.

But feel free to also opine on any related aspect you'd like.

========

Generally I am against it. But have to say my convictions are tested when I see situations like these 4 young people who were recently murdered in Idaho.....
I used to be "all for it" - basically until a couple of realities became obvious:
1) you never see a well-off white guy executed who committed murder
2) the reality of over-the-top prosecutors who are willing to slant evidence

Those make me more apprehensive than my youthful certainty about everything. Not that this is a substantial number but even one is too many.

But look - SOME PEOPLE like Osama Bin Laden, Charles Manson, the Tsarnaevs, Timothy McVeigh - I mean, there's no more fitting punishment than death. Also - if you sentence a guy to life without parole and he commits murder in custody, how do you punish him?

Take a case like Scott Peterson just for example. Now it seems pretty clear to me that he PROBABLY murdered Laci and Connor. But that case was largely circumstantial evidence, too. What if we later learned someone set him up and we've fried him? And there are a lot of cases like that where it's a preponderance of the presented evidence.

It's bad enough we're wrong in enough cases of folks getting out after 20 years or more as modern-day Andy Dufresne's without the sewer escape.

If you can prove without a shadow of a doubt someone did it or particularly in cases like those above (Gacy and Bundy are two more), then I'm for it. But I'm not wanting to set up an express lane just because, either.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I would expand on selma's take to say it should be on the table for serial pedophiles. Further its not so much the punishment of death but the method of carrying that out. It should be swift and painless for the conclusive cases.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Egregious crimes are awaken sensationalism and anger...but the reality is that the death penalty only happens to poor people and usually then minorities. Plus the slight chance of error makes this a sentence that is irreversible. Life without parole is a much more difficult sentence...you have to wake up every day to that reality.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Egregious crimes are awaken sensationalism and anger...but the reality is that the death penalty only happens to poor people and usually then minorities. Plus the slight chance of error makes this a sentence that is irreversible. Life without parole is a much more difficult sentence...you have to wake up every day to that reality.
That actually is a mis characterization, whites have been put to death by a large margin over any other race in the last 50 years. studies have shown the race of the victim has much more to do with a death sentence than the race of the defendant. dang it, let me get back to my 10’ pole

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
I'm opposed. First as a (retired) military prosecutor, while I never had a death penalty case, I'm aware that the judicial system does on occasion convict an innocent defendant. That risk, coupled with the absolute finality of an execution, caused me to conclude years ago that it is wrong to execute offenders.

I have also come to the opinion that it is morally wrong for the state to take a life, unless there is no other way to protect society. Give those criminals life without the possibility of parole.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That actually is a mis characterization, whites have been put to death by a large margin over any other race in the last 50 years. studies have shown the race of the victim has much more to do with a death sentence than the race of the defendant. dang it, let me get back to my 10’ pole

Race of Defendants Executed in the U.S. Since 1976

RaceNumberPercentage
Black53234%
Latinx1308%
White86756%
Other302%
NOTE: The federal government counts some categories, such as Hispanics, as an ethnic group rather than a race. DPIC refers to all groups as races because the sources for much of our information use these categories.

Race of Victims Since 1976
RaceNumberPercentage
Black35416%
Latinx1557%
White170375%
Other482%

United States/Black population
13.6%

White: 60.1% (Non-Hispanic)

Reactions: 92tide and bamaga

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Race of Defendants Executed in the U.S. Since 1976

RaceNumberPercentage
Black53234%
Latinx1308%
White86756%
Other302%
NOTE: The federal government counts some categories, such as Hispanics, as an ethnic group rather than a race. DPIC refers to all groups as races because the sources for much of our information use these categories.

Race of Victims Since 1976
RaceNumberPercentage
Black35416%
Latinx1557%
White170375%
Other482%

United States/Black population
13.6%

White: 60.1% (Non-Hispanic)
Blacks account for 13% of USA population the last time I looked...they are executed @ 2 ½ times that rate according to these statistics. Thanks for sharing...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Gen pop would take care of the justice aspect in many situations, if we'd let that happen.

Not relative to the thread's theme but in the "while we're at it" category....

......do we give prisoners the vegan diet they ask for - or does everyone get the same menu?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.