Arik Gilbert no longer going to UF (update: going to UGA)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think Gilbert is coming to Alabama. No room for him. Again, he is supposedly having an issue with his grades. If he can't qualify at Florida, then he won't be able to do so at Alabama. I'm thinking he'll go JUCO route.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
I don't think Gilbert is coming to Alabama. No room for him. Again, he is supposedly having an issue with his grades. If he can't qualify at Florida, then he won't be able to do so at Alabama. I'm thinking he'll go JUCO route.
Not "just an issue with his grades". He's functionally illiterate - at the lowest level. Amazing that LSU granted him entrance. He won't get in any SEC school. Best case JUCO or a directional Florida.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Do you have evidence of this? This is a harsh thing to say on a public board without proof.
If evidence was required to post here then delete >50% of the posts. Reality is that Fred Sanford would have called him "a big Dummy". Here's what I don't have evidence of ... yet I guarantee is correct ... his next school will not be in the SEC. And 99% not a D1. Look for JUCO. Put him in the "still has work to do on his grades" category. Lots of work.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Not "just an issue with his grades". He's functionally illiterate - at the lowest level. Amazing that LSU granted him entrance. He won't get in any SEC school. Best case JUCO or a directional Florida.
I also read from the LSU message boards when he quit that some posters thought he may have some family issues and/or depression issues. I hope he gets help if that is the case. If he really wants to stay close to home, then he could go to Kennesaw State, which is not far from where he went to high school.. maybe 15 minutes. He would be a star TE for them. Or, if he can't get in to KSU, then go to a junior college nearby. Kennesaw State just started their football season, but he could play in the Fall. I am not sure what his grades are like but if he got into LSU they must have been decent. What he did grade-wise while enrolled at LSU, I am not sure of.

If Bama has room and he is willing to change and get help, Saban and Bama would be great for him. I am not sure if Saban has had any contact with him though. I'd rather have Henry ToTo and JTT if there are only so many spots left.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If evidence was required to post here then delete >50% of the posts. Reality is that Fred Sanford would have called him "a big Dummy". Here's what I don't have evidence of ... yet I guarantee is correct ... his next school will not be in the SEC. And 99% not a D1. Look for JUCO. Put him in the "still has work to do on his grades" category. Lots of work.
I just think that calling a 19 year old (and he just turned 19 last week) illiterate without some sort of proof is a bridge too far, but do what you think is right.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I also read from the LSU message boards when he quit that some posters thought he may have some family issues and/or depression issues. I hope he gets help if that is the case. If he really wants to stay close to home, then he could go to Kennesaw State, which is not far from where he went to high school.. maybe 15 minutes. He would be a star TE for them. Or, if he can't get in to KSU, then go to a junior college nearby. Kennesaw State just started their football season, but he could play in the Fall. I am not sure what his grades are like but if he got into LSU they must have been decent. What he did grade-wise while enrolled at LSU, I am not sure of.

If Bama has room and he is willing to change and get help, Saban and Bama would be great for him. I am not sure if Saban has had any contact with him though. I'd rather have Henry ToTo and JTT if there are only so many spots left.
Getting into KSU might be difficult for him

• Thank You
Reactions: Toddrn

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I agree several posters have mentioned off the field issues as well and if true. We don’t need that at Bama in my opinion.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

This is what I first thought when I read he's in the transfer portal again. Depression is a vicious monster and some of the signs are impulsive decisions and erratic behavior. If this is the case I really hope the kid gets help ASAP.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
I just think that calling a 19 year old (and he just turned 19 last week) illiterate without some sort of proof is a bridge too far, but do what you think is right.
Yes, it was harsh - but accurate. Lest anyone think it was racist, Bama has had many white players over the years who obtained degrees even though they struggled to read, write, or count. My comment wasn't meant has a slur against him personally. People close to the situation were surprised he was admitted to an SEC school. I'll leave it at that. His next school will not be in the SEC. If it is they should be investigated - and LSU s/be investigated for ever letting him in.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Yes, it was harsh - but accurate. Lest anyone think it was racist, Bama has had many white players over the years who obtained degrees even though they struggled to read, write, or count. My comment wasn't meant has a slur against him personally. People close to the situation were surprised he was admitted to an SEC school. I'll leave it at that. His next school will not be in the SEC. If it is they should be investigated - and LSU s/be investigated for ever letting him in.
You forget how important football is...
There was a UGA WR that was “functionally illiterate”...never should have been in school.
Turns out well, he learned to read and writes children’s books...but he never should have been admitted. That spot should have gone to someone else while he learned to read....and now they use that as a positive
recruiting tool...great story, should have played out elsewhere.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bubbaloo and Con

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Really sad that a gifted kid might have his career ruined because he just fell through the cracks of our education system. Assuming that is really what's going on here.

I hope the kid figures it out and it incredibly successful

Reactions: bama579 and B1GTide

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Really sad that a gifted kid might have his career ruined because he just fell through the cracks of our education system. Assuming that is really what's going on here.

I hope the kid figures it out and it incredibly successful
The NFL doesn’t care about any of that. If he’s good enough, he’ll make it to the league.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The NFL doesn’t care about any of that. If he’s good enough, he’ll make it to the league.
Oh for sure. But that requires him showing his skill at the college level at least somewhat. And it obviously helps if you can showcase your talent on a higher level

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.