JessN: Arkansas wrap-up: Three quarters of domination, one of despair, and now Bama waits on its medical team

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Arkansas wrap-up: Three quarters of domination, one of despair, and now Bama waits on its medical team
byJess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief

For a game that started so well … then nearly collapsed so completely … before again finishing on a high note, it’s not clear what takeaway an Alabama fan should have from the Crimson Tide’s 49-26 defeat of Arkansas other than that ultimately, Bama survived and advanced.

With the game in the rear-view mirror, all eyes will now turn to the medical tests that will be performed in the coming days on starting QB Bryce Young, who left the game in the first half with what was diagnosed at the stadium as a sprained shoulder. Nick Saban said Young would be “day-to-day.” But most sprained shoulders take a bit longer than that to heal.

While fans were wringing their hands, Alabama’s players and coaches at least got down to work. Behind backup QB Jalen Milroe, Alabama was forced to compress the playbook on the fly. Alabama went from attacking the SEC’s worst secondary to being forced to attack its much stronger front six. In the end, Arkansas proved just as incapable of stopping Alabama’s running game as it did its passing game.

CONTINUE READING

Last edited by a moderator:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Bama is bigger than Bryce and Branch. Sure, we're better with them but we also have to be prepared to play without them. It looks like we were and it makes sense to celebrate the win and prepare for the next game if they can't play in it. Despite all of what happened, we did much better than I expected even with both of those guys. I expect that we'll have both of them back much sooner than many Bama fans are expecting. The Crimson Tide moves on. Roll Tide.

Reactions: Windsortide

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Reactions: Windsortide

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
I want to tell you that your column about the Crimson Tide is imo the most informative, and best written summary of Alabama games in any form of media.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring it to us.

Could you (or anyone) tell me: How far ahead of Ty Simpson is Milroe. I think that Milroe might be equal to Lamar Jackson as a runner (or at least will be), but I'm not really sold on his passing.

Should Simpson be getting some work in case Milroe falters?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks, Jess. Nice write-up. Hopefully, Bryce will be back for the Tennessee game. Branch too. I never heard/read what Branch's injury was. Concussion?

I did not realize until Saban's presser that Bryce has had issues with his shoulder before. I guess it was during summer or spring in the past since we have not heard of it until last night.

Reactions: Rush

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As Bill from NYC asked, I to wondered how far behind Milroe Simpson is. This not a knock on what Milroe did yesterday, because he was a part of saving our rear ends in Fayatteville. But there is no question his passing skills, field vision, anticipation, etc is subpar and I noticed it before this game.

I fully expect BY to be ready for the UT game but if he's not, I do wonder if Simpson will also be included in game prep reps just in case.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
As Bill from NYC asked, I to wondered how far behind Milroe Simpson is. This not a knock on what Milroe did yesterday, because he was a part of saving our rear ends in Fayatteville. But there is no question his passing skills, field vision, anticipation, etc is subpar and I noticed it before this game.

I fully expect BY to be ready for the UT game but if he's not, I do wonder if Simpson will also be included in game prep reps just in case.
Simpson definitely should get game preps. He is now only one play away from being the starter.

Gary even said Jalen has trouble throwing to the outside. Could we have one stinking game without an anouncer telling the world about our QB habits and weaknesses? I know teams can see game tape and stuff, but for the love of God don't help them.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

The simple truth is that it’s much easier to prepare for running quarterbacks than it is to prepare for passing quarterbacks in todays’s game. Milroe has yet to show he is a consistent passing threat in any form, much less downfield to keep the defenses honest.

This is twofold dangerous for Alabama at this point because stacking 7-8 in the box and forcing our receivers to beat one on one coverage makes Bama have to overcome two weaknesses in our current team.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Well put...great analysis. I was impressed by our OL and our D all around, especially our CB's McKinstry and Arnold...they both played lights out.Arnold's tackle on 4th down was textbook.
That was a great tackle! I remember there quietly being many great open field tackles by Bama. Those were encouraging to see. We’ve gotten better at that this season!

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if they will put BY on a pitch count, and split game reps with Milroe? I know they say if you have 2 QBs you have none, but this is a special case, there is no question that BY is the starter.
Having dealt with pitcher shoulder and elbow injuries I would be extremely doubtful that Bryce could be effective throwing the ball next Saturday. It may be that an early return could impact his ability to heal and return to form. It is impossible to know the extent of the injury and the prognosis at this point. What we do know is that he will receive the best treatment available

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
I want to tell you that your column about the Crimson Tide is imo the most informative, and best written summary of Alabama games in any form of media.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring it to us.

Could you (or anyone) tell me: How far ahead of Ty Simpson is Milroe. I think that Milroe might be equal to Lamar Jackson as a runner (or at least will be), but I'm not really sold on his passing.

Should Simpson be getting some work in case Milroe falters?
Not sure if Jess has a podcast but I think he should 😁

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Arkansas wrap-up. Good to see improvement in many areas. Yet still much improvement is needed.

OL took a step forward - I think they will continue to improve now that we have an OL coach who is engaged in his responsibilities. Marrone was horrible - lazy and checked out from the get-go.

Nice to see young receivers with speed being featured.

Still many fundamental failures. Botched snap on punt is inexcusable. But that wasn't the worst fundamental failure. The worst was ToTo with the most stupid penalty I've ever seen from a Bama player. Perhaps forgivable if he was a freshman - but he's a senior and he's overrated. Nothing about him says elite. 3th round NFL pick at best. Lots of arm tackles. I don't get why people think he is so good. He's way overrated and his NFL status will prove my point. And that type of stupid mistake will kill any team in a close game.

Yet, we can still be a very good team and compete for the NC. I don't see a great team in CFB - not Georgia, not Ohio St, and not Bama. Barring major injuries we have a good shot if we continue to improve we can be a really good team. And a really good team will win it this year - there is no great team.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: JustNeedMe81

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.