As a democratic candidate, how would you run your presidential campaign?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would do two things, both seemingly disconnected:

First, I would run ads discrediting Trump, and exposing Trump's deplorable behavior. I would flood social media, but specifically targeting people who are more inclined to see the truth. I would spam every social media platform with this stuff. I would use bots to spread it everywhere.

But - and this is important - the story would be subtle. Bread crumbs dropped that lead, over time, to the inescapable conclusion that Trump is a fascist.

You don't just jump right out there and call him a fascist. You start by telling a story about how things used to be, and how we can get back there again. You move to a story about how Trump has done things to move us backward while pretending to move us forward, exposing his lies. You then tell a story about the consequences of his current polices and his lies. Then, finally, you show how this path leads to an authoritarian government, with Trump at the head.

Second, and in parallel to the above, you tell a story about how the democratic candidate has done things to solve these problems within his sphere of influence, and how those changes could be expanded on a national level given the opportunity. You tell a story about the path to freedom and the preservation of our Constitution and Republic. You tell a story about the creation of jobs and increased opportunity for everyone.

Understand that this is all done with slightly different messages to slightly different groups. You tell each group what they need to hear to vote democrat. You do this constantly. You stay in their line of sight all the way through the election. But you do it without them knowing that you are doing it. You make it appear as if it is coming to them from organic sources, not the candidates themselves. You make it look like all of this is coming from their friends, or sources that they trust.

That is how you win an election in 2020.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Run against Trump and not the other Dems. If a Dem attacks you, respond, then move on with your attack on Trump. So far it seems that only Steyer and Bloomberg understand this.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I always thought "Make America Great Again" was a helluva campaign slogan.

If it were me - the first thing that crossed my mind would be...how do I compete with THAT!

This article came out last April, so is 10 months old. Who has a good slogan now?

2020 Democrats Have yet to ‘Make Campaign Slogans Great Again’
Posted to Politics April 14, 2019 by Michael Graham

"...the current crop of campaigns have some real clunkers, along with one big winner."

“The best campaign slogans are either about the voters, the country or the future,” said veteran Democratic campaign strategist Bob Shrum. He should know. Before becoming the director of the USC Dornsife College’s Unruh Institute of Politics, he worked on eight presidential campaigns. “Look at the classics: New Deal, Square Deal, Great Society—they were all a pledge to the voters.”

On the other hand, Hillary Clinton’s “I’m With Her” was “not a great slogan,” Shrum told InsideSources.

Joel Payne, a senior political strategist at MWWPR and who worked on the Clinton 2016 campaign, reluctantly agreed. He also agreed with Shrum that one of the better campaign slogans of this cycle comes from Bernie Sanders:

“Not me. US.”

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, MAGA was not Trump's slogan - it was Reagan's. Trump stole it from Reagan. But American's are too lazy and have too short a memory to remember Let's Make America Great Again.

Perhaps, "Liberty! Equality! Justice! Time to Restore American Values!"

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I would do two things. Develop fact based campaign and secondly an emotional based campaign.

For the fact based part.....I would focus on possible misconceptions some may have.

Try to cover all main issues. Such as:

1. economy - why we are actually being hurt by it right now
2. health care - why is is not as good as it could be - and here's why
3. immigration - what we are doing now that is hurting the country and it's citizens
4. foreign policy - <insert whatever you want here>
5. domestic policy - see above

Then specify (in detail) why the current administration is failing to address these problems and how I (as president) would do things better.

For the emotional based part I would start by developing a great slogan - and logo if possible.

Then put together human interest segments, such as the president did during his SOTU speech. Include the military, the single parent, the blue collar worker, the student trying to get through school, the elderly person trying to finish life in a graceful manner, and the person who needs basic health care but cannot afford it. Probably more stuff but you get the idea. Use a cross section of Americans to help convey inclusiveness and relate-ability.

The very last thing I would do is bring Trump into my campaign. If the subject came up in an interview fair game but no way would I even mention his name.

==========

Right now there are many who will not vote Democratic because they are afraid their taxes will go up and their tax dollars will be wasted. I'm sure there are other concerns but that economy is the big nut, IMHO. Quite a few other issues a good campaign manager could use to their advantage if they so inclined.

My views are probably biased but some of what I see being said by the various campaigns just don't seem to have the juice.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My views are probably biased but some of what I see being said by the various campaigns just don't seem to have the juice.
All it takes to get people like me out to vote this time is, "Anyone but Trump!"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Right - but do you feel the current campaigns are effectively representing "your side" in your endeavour to replace the president?

If so then you should be in very good shape come November.
The campaigns are not mature yet. First the dems need to pick a champion. Then you build a campaign around that person. I would build a totally different campaign around Sanders than I would around Pete or Mike.

Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The campaigns are not mature yet. First the dems need to pick a champion. Then you build a campaign around that person. I would build a totally different campaign around Sanders than I would around Pete or Mike.
I understand the process and that approaches will differ during primary season and presidential campaign season.

But I don't understand why a candidate wouldn't build their campaign around a fixed philosophical apparatus early on - so the entire country would be able to understand whether they are on board or not - before some other candidate builds their momentum (the big M).

I think you also have to take into account the intense scrutiny and pressure from the media and pundits who spend such vast amounts of energy and resources publicizing every candidates every move and accompanying positions. There's gold in them there hills (translate gold = votes/support) for the candidate who builds their brand from the get-go.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I'd also try to get both David Axlerod and Van Jones to help me run my campaign.

No idea if they would do so, but those two guys have their act together when it comes to providing insight, common sense, and just pure political knowledge.

There are others too I admire but those two would be my top advisors.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I understand the process and that approaches will differ during primary season and presidential campaign season.

But I don't understand why a candidate wouldn't build their campaign around a fixed philosophical apparatus early on - so the entire country would be able to understand whether they are on board or not - before some other candidate builds their momentum (the big M).

I think you also have to take into account the intense scrutiny and pressure from the media and pundits who spend such vast amounts of energy and resources publicizing every candidates every move and accompanying positions. There's gold in them there hills (translate gold = votes/support) for the candidate who builds their brand from the get-go.
Many candidates change their slogans and strategies after they win the nomination. Ronald Reagan did and it helped him. Hillary did and it did not help her. But there are people who make a living thinking up stuff like this. They will likely come up with something that we would never even consider.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd also try to get both David Axlerod and Van Jones to help me run my campaign.

No idea if they would do so, but those two guys have their act together when it comes to providing insight, common sense, and just pure political knowledge.

There are others too I admire but those two would be my top advisors.
I have no respect at all for Carville but I would have him on staff.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
On one side, you have an egocentric demagogue who has absolutely no idea of how to be President. On the other, you have several egocentrics running for president of the student body, essentially promising Santa Claus 365 days a year.

So I would do pretty much what Bloomberg is doing....pitch myself as the adult in the room, selling realistic solutions for real problems. Neither kicking the can down the road, nor attempting to buy votes by giving away all the toys, promising that somebody else will pay for them.

I am surprised that other Dems haven’t yet trashed him for his previous run as a Republican. But I’m sure that’ll come.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
BTW, MAGA was not Trump's slogan - it was Reagan's. Trump stole it from Reagan.
As did Bill Clinton.

Well, let me qualify that. Clinton's "slogan" was "The Economy, Stupid," but he did invoke the phrase early on (including his announcement he was running).

Of course, stealing slogans and ideas is old hat. The 1994 GOP "Contract With America" was taken - in the most literal sense - from Reagan's 1985 State of the Union speech.

Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
No one will believe that a democratic slogan has racist overtones.

1) I should have used blue font, admittedly.
2) I don't think the very slogan itself is racist anyway

However, that suddenly became the cry when Trump used MAGA. There is substantial evidence Trump is racist without saying the slogan is racist.

Reactions: B1GTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.