Atlanta Braves discussion

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
-I think Riley peaked at the wrong time as a rookie and may need some more time before he is a starter again. I personally would like ender, Culbertson, or Joyce (all can play that position and are better batters) out there until we have games we can afford to spare

- Ozzie and Acuna pretty much believe in ambush hitting, and is a blessing and a curse at key parts of the game. I think Ozzie should’ve been more patient last night in the 9th vs a fastball pitcher with the tieing run on 3rd.

- I would say our most dependable hitters are Freeman, Donaldson, and Markakis.

- As far as an ace or a reliver... we need both but a reliever is needed far more. We could probably survive September with Keuchel, Soroka, Fried, and Teheran, but you would like to have another name out there where you could demote one of those to a reliver. But the Braves absolutely need a strong reliever and a closer because we have neither at the moment. I think Jackson would be a better reliver than closer.

But one thing I keep hearing from A-listers, old fans, and beat writers is how “ we can’t sacrifice our future to win the WS or NLCS”. Meaning they feel that many of these teams will ask for prospects instead of current assets. While it’s true that having a good farm league organization goes a long way, I doubt anyone really cares who wins the pennant in AA, or AAA. But everyone cares who wins it at The Show. The 2015 Royals got and still get a lot of flak for setting their farm system back a few years for going all out to get a rental on Zobrist and Cueto. But the Royals have a ring because of those moves.

Point is the Braves need to ask themselves “ is this current team a few pieces away from a NLCS and WS”. If the answer is “Yes” then sacrificing some prospects for quality rentals is well worth the risk.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
last night was just bad and showed just how far away the braves are.
Yeah, I was there last night, and I have seen plenty of Danny Duffy games live after going to plenty of Royals games while I was stationed in Omaha. But I never thought I would see him have a 11 strikeout game vs an order like the Braves. After a bad Milwaukee and Washington series this should be the circle wagons moment in which the Braves need to make some big boy decisions because losing to the 3rd worst team in the league at home by walks and stranded batters isn't a good indicator of a championship team.

But it goes back to an earlier post of mine:

Reasons for concern:

1) Pitching is all over the place. Aside from Dallas, Soroka, and Minter there are no totally reliable SP, LRP, MRP, and CPs on the roster

2) The Nationals are on a tear
4) Dumb losses and the Braves usually go together at some point of a season

If the same old "we'll have to protect our farm system and build for the future over paying for a bonafide rental" mentality persists for the next 7 days, then I can guarantee you the Nationals are going to win the East by 7 games and the Braves are going to be fighting for home field advantage for the Wild Card Game (AKA the right to be the sacrificial lamb to the Dodgers).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Swept by the damn Royals. 7-7 since the break, 4.5 ahead of the #2 and 5 ahead of the #3 (if Washington beats Colorado), and we got a 6 game road trip vs #2 and #3 coming this weekend. We desperately need 4 out of the next 6 with most of those 4 coming against Washington.

I knew the June domination couldn’t last but I never thought we would’ve slumped against the Royals.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Swept by the damn Royals. 7-7 since the break, 4.5 ahead of the #2 and 5 ahead of the #3 (if Washington beats Colorado), and we got a 6 game road trip vs #2 and #3 coming this weekend. We desperately need 4 out of the next 6 with most of those 4 coming against Washington.

I knew the June domination couldn’t last but I never thought we would’ve slumped against the Royals.
Not a good look, losing to one of the worst teams and a shutout to make it look even worse. My kingdom for a pitcher.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Road games against Washington and Philly up next. Philly has found new life. The bats have gone cold for the Braves. Need to go at least 4-2 over the next 6 games. Anything worse will be bad.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Road games against Washington and Philly up next. Philly has found new life. The bats have gone cold for the Braves. Need to go at least 4-2 over the next 6 games. Anything worse will be bad.
I agree huge road trip coming up it can put some distance between them and the Phillies and Nationals or it can make things really close. If they end up losing out by a game or two they can point directly at letting the Royals come to their place and sweeping them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Forget anybody else that has been mentioned. Syndagard should now be TOP priority. The Mets want to deal with either the Braves and Padres exclusively.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Forget anybody else that has been mentioned. Syndagard should now be TOP priority. The Mets want to deal with either the Braves and Padres exclusively.
The rumors I am hearing are the Braves are not looking for another starter. People are claiming that is why they went and got Dallas K. They are looking for bullpen help. Again this is only what one talking head here is saying that they are saying.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The rumors I am hearing are the Braves are not looking for another starter. People are claiming that is why they went and got Dallas K. They are looking for bullpen help. Again this is only what one talking head here is saying that they are saying.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj...kees-astros-braves-padres.html?outputType=amp

The post beat writers are saying the Mets are only interested in Braves and Padres at this point because of their farm prospects. If the Braves have a shot without the Stros and Yankees driving up the cost at Syndagard for 2.5 years then it would be extremely stupid not to at least make an attempt at it.

We could probably solve our reliver situation by bringing up Foltz and having either Gausman or Fried being our other LRP if we got Syndagard. That would only leave a closer.

ETA Braves apparently looking at KC’s closer that torched us a few days ago

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Losing Markakis is going to probably complicate things
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/nick-markakis-likely-out-weeks/hql9ZEXUfWcwGngjYXpmIK/[/FONT]

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
First: I am extremely happy that we took a series that looking at the pitching matchups we shouldnt, and we got 2 out of 4 we needed with some added help from the Dodgers

Second: I think Sunday's game probably shows really where the Braves are at their weakest. Our Hitters struggle against off speed Aces, our #5 spot in the rotation is unacceptably weak, and our bullpen is going to be the death of us.

Starting Pitching: Ive never bought into this high praise for Gausman, and I think Alex bragging that Gausman is back and will give the Braves a complete rotation after 1 good game after having 8-9 bad games is a bit concerning for the man that has to make some big decisions this coming Wednesday. Dallas, Soroka, Teheran, and Freid are good enough starters to feel decent about the postseason, but we could probably use 1 more strong arm to compensate for Soroka's youth and Teheran's inconsistencies.

Relief: What's not been said? We probably need 2 decent relievers and a really good closer.

I think by Wednesday we will probably know the Braves's division and playoff fate.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
First: I am extremely happy that we took a series that looking at the pitching matchups we shouldnt, and we got 2 out of 4 we needed with some added help from the Dodgers

Second: I think Sunday's game probably shows really where the Braves are at their weakest. Our Hitters struggle against off speed Aces, our #5 spot in the rotation is unacceptably weak, and our bullpen is going to be the death of us.

Starting Pitching: Ive never bought into this high praise for Gausman, and I think Alex bragging that Gausman is back and will give the Braves a complete rotation after 1 good game after having 8-9 bad games is a bit concerning for the man that has to make some big decisions this coming Wednesday. Dallas, Soroka, Teheran, and Freid are good enough starters to feel decent about the postseason, but we could probably use 1 more strong arm to compensate for Soroka's youth and Teheran's inconsistencies.

Relief: What's not been said? We probably need 2 decent relievers and a really good closer.

I think by Wednesday we will probably know the Braves's division and playoff fate.
Surely, the Braves front office cannot be so arrogant and dumb as to think we are fine right now? The Dodgers did not help us today. Maybe Alex is trying to convince another team that Gausman is awesome for trade value?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.