Bad cop; good cop stories; Part II...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
They said the bus was pulled over for being in the left lane, which is not allowed for buses. That seems reasonable for pulling him over. But other than giving him a ticket (a warning should have sufficed) I don’t see any reason to even get on the bus.
Well, I have my own thoughts about people who camp out in the left lane on the highway. :cool:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The second that dude confirmed he was wearing an ankle monitor ---- I would have pulled my weapon and trained it on him informing him not to move a freaking muscle.

Amazing things can turn south so quickly in these situations....

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For every bad cop story out there there are good ones. The job has to be so freaking hard - you never know when your life is in danger - it can happen in an instant.
One of my very good friends (used to post on here from time to time) was a patrol cop for roughly 10 years. He told me the anxiety that came with each stop or situation he was called to just eventually took its toll on him. The things he had to deal with on a daily basis ended up giving him PTSD. He finally was able to get into another sector of law enforcement but told me the average person has no idea the mental and emotional stress LEO's go through when dealing with the general public.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and TIDE-HSV

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The public demands a lot from police officers but keeps their pay well below what it should bring. That limits the pool of people you can recruit from substantially.
Humans aren't built to properly function with traumatic events or the anticipation of traumatic events as a part of their daily lives. Though I fully agree LEO's need to be paid A LOT more, more money will not eliminate the impact the job has on the body and mind.

I think incentives such as pay need to go waaaay up in order to drastically increase the pool of candidates to pick from (as you pointed out). It could also give them enough personnel to where someone wouldn't have to be on patrol for 10 years but have a rotation where someone isn't subject to that crap for so long.

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Humans aren't built to properly function with traumatic events or the anticipation of traumatic events as a part of their daily lives. Though I fully agree LEO's need to be paid A LOT more, more money will not eliminate the impact the job has on the body and mind.

I think incentives such as pay need to go waaaay up in order to drastically increase the pool of candidates to pick from (as you pointed out). It could also give them enough personnel to where someone wouldn't have to be on patrol for 10 years but have a rotation where someone isn't subject to that crap for so long.
A certain number do get elevated to desk jobs and a lot just quit around ten years or so. However, there are a lot who don't have the material for advancement who spend their entire career on the street...

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
A certain number do get elevated to desk jobs and a lot just quit around ten years or so. However, there are a lot who don't have the material for advancement who spend their entire career on the street...
Yeah, there's no perfect solution for sure. They not only aren't advancement material but end up no longer truly being qualified to do their job on the streets. I've encountered some LEO's who you could tell the time on the street had messed them up, but they were still patroling the streets.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yeah, there's no perfect solution for sure. They not only aren't advancement material but end up no longer truly being qualified to do their job on the streets. I've encountered some LEO's who you could tell the time on the street had messed them up, but they were still patroling the streets.
I had a lawyer friend, now deceased, whose younger brother was on the HPD. My friend used to say of him that it was good he was a cop, because he would have ended up on one side of the law or the other...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Last night, Deputy McGinnis and his trainee Deputy Langdon were on proactive patrol in the New Smyrna Beach area when they pulled over a car with an expired tag that failed to properly stop at two intersections. The front passenger, Teratheo Brown (DOB 7/30/1988), provided a Corrections ID and advised he had been to prison for a past narcotics offense. When Brown opened the glove box and reached inside, Deputy McGinnis saw a black handgun in plain view and asked Brown to step out of the vehicle.

Brown was cooperative throughout the encounter and thanked the deputies for their professionalism.

A check of the gun revealed it was reported stolen out of New Smyrna Beach in February. It was loaded with 6 rounds including 1 round in the chamber. In the trunk of the car, deputies found several bags containing a total of about 225 grams of cocaine. A significant amount of another unknown white powder was submitted for further testing.

Brown was arrested on charges including armed trafficking in cocaine, carrying a concealed firearm in the commission of a felony, possession of a firearm/ammunition by a convicted felon, grand theft of a firearm, and possession of narcotics paraphernalia. Of note, Brown was released from jail in January after a November 2021 arrest on charges of attempted first-degree murder with a firearm, aggravated assault with a firearm, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He is being held without bond at the Volusia County Branch Jail as of this writing.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The use of body cams take the concept of traffic stop transparency to a whole new level! The fellow above who was fully cooperative certainly saved everyone involved from potential harm - and maybe even death. People make mistakes in life and sometimes they learn from them and can turn their life around. I truly hope that happens for this person.

Unfortunately these kinds of traffic stops don't make the news. IMHO, they should be used as an example of how a stop ***should*** go down. Everyone chill and everyone lives to see another day.

Here's one that shows some of the crazy stuff that can happen. This cop had his radar on and was able to survive the unprovoked attack.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I can't even believe this kid survived....... :oops:

The Indian River County Sheriff's Office in Florida released body cam footage showing police shooting a convicted felon during a traffic stop. Police say they began shooting when the suspect allegedly armed himself and fled the scene. They later found him hiding under a porch at a nearby home and arrested him along with a passenger before taking the suspect to the hospital, authorities said.

There is a still frame from this video released by the sheriff department that shows him turning towards the deputies. The car was pulled over because it was being surveilled as being a suspect vehicle from a drive by shooting in the same neighborhood the night before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.