Bad Defense or Changing Game?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Like 4Q noted, great stuff. I wouldn't know a wheel route from Ernie Wheelwright Sr., but I do know every time Najee Harris flares out, he draws skin-tight coverage (and still catches the ball better than any running back 'Bama has had maybe in forever). Opposing backs on these routes seem to draw only Golding miscommunications - and open space aplenty. Today's hybrid LBs are yesterday's Mark Barrons, so it can't (all) be that they are out-athleticized by speedier backs or freshman mistakes uber alles. Gotta be some third-year DC scheme development on display soon...
it's not all on Golding. We've had this in the scheme forever. Even when the players don't have mental mistakes it is a bit of a liability just because our OLBs are still pretty big dudes - not typically as lean and fast as our inside guys have become and we ask them to haul tail 30-40 yards downfield next to a running back. Think Anfernee Jennings executing that coverage. He did way better than I would have ever thought since he was pushing 260LBs, but even he had some instances where he just couldn't get there.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The SEC has become a Pass Happy high scoring offenses..It's going to be hard for any D to stop the really good offenses & Texas A&M actually has a decent offense..

Personaliy I thought our D did a good job of slowing them down all game.. What's great to think about is how good these true freshman starters will be by game 4 & 5...Our D will be as good as any in the country..JMO

I do wish Coach Saban would figure out how to defend 3rd & Longs..That been the one constant thorn in everyone of Coach Saban's D since he's been our HC

Reactions: Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do wish Coach Saban would figure out how to defend 3rd & Longs..That been the one constant thorn in everyone of Coach Saban's D since he's been our HC
Pruitt managed it very well. The solution - get to the QB faster than he can get the ball out. But to do that you have to do a better job of disguising your blitzes, and Golding has no idea how to do that. I can guess who is coming on almost every play, sitting on my couch. I had no idea when Pruitt was the DC.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
As with most things, the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Has the game changed? Absolutely. Is our defense bad? Yup...

Yes, we are averaging tons of points since 2018. We are also averaging 0 national championships...
We are averaging 0 national championships in the last 2 years

Auburn says 💩 like that about Alabama.

We are so spoiled.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Pruitt managed it very well. The solution - get to the QB faster than he can get the ball out. But to do that you have to do a better job of disguising your blitzes, and Golding has no idea how to do that. I can guess who is coming on almost every play, sitting on my couch. I had no idea when Pruitt was the DC.
I have no idea if it is simply lining up a step or two too deep or they struggle at anticipation and timing. But almost every time we rush a non down lineman they are literally a step to a step and a half late. They are "so close yet so far away". Watched it in the Missouri game and DEFINITELY in the aTm game. If those rushes would have landed in the aTm game I don't think Mond would have finished the game upright.

Reactions: TideMan09

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no idea if it is simply lining up a step or two too deep or they struggle at anticipation and timing. But almost every time we rush a non down lineman they are literally a step to a step and a half late. They are "so close yet so far away". Watched it in the Missouri game and DEFINITELY in the aTm game. If those rushes would have landed in the aTm game I don't think Mond would have finished the game upright.
You watch enough Alabama games (or film) and you learn the best technique to block the guys trying to get through. Some D-linemen are just "unblockable", like Q was. But most people can be blocked, or at least slowed down with enough film study and practice.

Then you are looking at film of the blitzing schemes used. Where do they come from, and what routes do they take to the QB? Combine that and the D-line blocking schemes and you can stop almost anything if you see it coming. They are a step too late because the blocking schemes are only meant to keep them at bay for so long. They will continue to be a step too late against teams with good blocking personnel (o-line, RBs and TEs) until something changes which no longer allows them to see where the pressure is coming from on a particular play.

The SEC has the best coaches and players in college football. This stuff is hard when the other team has this level of coaching and personnel. I am just not sure that Golding is good enough. But at least you are stopping the opposing rushing attacks this year. That is a huge positive over the last 2 seasons.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Gary Danielson mentioned something very interesting during the game against aTm that may be contributing to this problem. He pointed out how deep Mond was lined up in the shotgun. Could it be teams are just backing up one or two yards to give them that split second extra time?

You watch enough Alabama games (or film) and you learn the best technique to block the guys trying to get through. Some D-linemen are just "unblockable", like Q was. But most people can be blocked, or at least slowed down with enough film study and practice.

Then you are looking at film of the blitzing schemes used. Where do they come from, and what routes do they take to the QB? Combine that and the D-line blocking schemes and you can stop almost anything if you see it coming. They are a step too late because the blocking schemes are only meant to keep them at bay for so long. They will continue to be a step too late against teams with good blocking personnel (o-line, RBs and TEs) until something changes which no longer allows them to see where the pressure is coming from on a particular play.

The SEC has the best coaches and players in college football. This stuff is hard when the other team has this level of coaching and personnel. I am just not sure that Golding is good enough. But at least you are stopping the opposing rushing attacks this year. That is a huge positive over the last 2 seasons.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Gary Danielson mentioned something very interesting during the game against aTm that may be contributing to this problem. He pointed out how deep Mond was lined up in the shotgun. Could it be teams are just backing up one or two yards to give them that split second extra time?
I noticed that in the aTm game, but not Mizzou. Will have to see if that is just the way aTm plays, or if this is a strategy that helps against your rushing attack.

Reactions: Con

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Combination of things. The game this past weekend where our guy failed to push the other guy out of bounds. In years past he would have smashed the guy but in todays game that would have definitely drawn a penalty. In his case he obviously needs to push a little harder next time but without the ability to truly punish offensive players it allows them to remain effective for 60 minutes. This gives the advantage to fast paced passing attacks and makes the run game less important relative to what it was. The only part I see that in my opinion is a bit our fault is our weak pass rush. We simply don't get to the QB enough, we don't get enough pressure fast enough and they convert LONG 3rd down plays way more than they should.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I noticed that in the aTm game, but not Mizzou. Will have to see if that is just the way aTm plays, or if this is a strategy that helps against your rushing attack.

I believe Mizzu utilizes the pistol more and TAMU is more of a traditional shotgun depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1GTide

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I know lots of folks doesn't like Gary Danielson announcing our games, but, I honestly think he's one of the absolute best in the business..He can anticipate what's about to happen before plays develope & he's usually right on the money.. He's reallyyyyy smart football wise

That actually makes the most sense to me, cause on 3rd n longs our pass rushers were literally just one step away from drilling Mond.. That's just smart planning by they're offensive play caller & excellent execution by them..I'm not sure you can stop that when it's executed as well as Mond did against us..Cause our pass rushers are as quick as any in the entire nation..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I know lots of folks doesn't like Gary Danielson announcing our games, but, I honestly think he's one of the absolute best in the business..He can anticipate what's about to happen before plays develope & he's usually right on the money.. He's reallyyyyy smart football wise

That actually makes the most sense to me, cause on 3rd n longs our pass rushers were literally just one step away from drilling Mond.. That's just smart planning by they're offensive play caller & excellent execution by them..I'm not sure you can stop that when it's executed as well as Mond did against us..Cause our pass rushers are as quick as any in the entire nation..
Just watch other color analyst hacks like Andre Ware or Brian Griese that don't pay attention to the game and get caught up telling stories to the play by play guy that don't pertain to the game and you realize how good Gary is. Gary is very knowledgeable and stays in the game and does not take a play or several plays off like a lot of others do.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We are stopping the run and getting quite a few TFL's. The aggravating thing about both games this year have been the soft 4th qtrs we have played.

Against A&M we were up 45-17 with 10:00 or so to go in the game and then we give up a 7 play 75 yard drive for a score. We score again quickly and then give up a 8 play 60 yard drive that ends in an interception in the end zone. We gave up 135 yards all passing of the 450 total yards and a score (could have been two) in the last 10 minutes of the game and Mizzou did similar against our back-up defense. If we make stops late in games everybody is happy so we have to figure out a way to keep playing hard with intensity in the 4th qtr. This defense is an improved defense over last year's D and they need to start showing it.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Just watch other color analyst hacks like Andre Ware or Brian Griese that don't pay attention to the game and get caught up telling stories to the play by play guy that don't pertain to the game and you realize how good Gary is. Gary is very knowledgeable and stays in the game and does not take a play or several plays off like a lot of others do.
Exactly & I agree a million percent my friend.. Even though I didn't hate him..I sure don't miss old Verne one iota..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
We are stopping the run and getting quite a few TFL's. The aggravating thing about both games this year have been the soft 4th qtrs we have played.

Against A&M we were up 45-17 with 10:00 or so to go in the game and then we give up a 7 play 75 yard drive for a score. We score again quickly and then give up a 8 play 60 yard drive that ends in an interception in the end zone. We gave up 135 yards all passing of the 450 total yards and a score (could have been two) in the last 10 minutes of the game and Mizzou did similar against our back-up defense. If we make stops late in games everybody is happy so we have to figure out a way to keep playing hard with intensity in the 4th qtr. This defense is an improved defense over last year's D and they need to start showing it.
Coach Saban has publicly said the same thing. He isn't happy with the let up either.

Reactions: Con and TiderJack

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

If we are worried about our second string D, and not the first, then we're fine. The lack of reps due to COVID restrictions is the main problem.

Reactions: Con and TideMan09

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If we are worried about our second string D, and not the first, then we're fine. The lack of reps due to COVID restrictions is the main problem.
Exactly my friend & is a testimony as too just how good of a job our coaching staff has done this year in a year screwed all up by Covid-19..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.