News Article: Ball & Oats: How Alabama became an SEC powerhouse overnight on its way to possibly changing college basketball

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The value of the mid-range jump shot was greater before the 3-point line was introduced. It was a way to get away from the basket where all the taller (and slower) players could congregate and defend shots easier. With the introduction of the 3-point shot, the reward became greater to stay outside. The extra point makes a more difficult shot worth it. Just inside the 3-point line, you've lost a point on a shot that's just as difficult as it would be a foot or few farther back.

It makes a ton of sense. There is a really a dead zone from the paint out to the 3-point line where the value of a made shot does not exceed the difficulty enough to offset it on a consistent enough basis to justify taking the shots. It's just taken several decades for that reality to sink in to coaches who had learned the old style offenses since cutting their teeth.
The 3 point line was introduced into Alabama High School basketball in 1988, my senior year.

When I found out about it (sometime in 1987), I went home and got a stick and string and measured off the "3 point line" on my court and I spent the next 6 months or so just shooting the 3.

The next year, I was the first person in school history to make a 3 pointer. Only "record" I have that can never be broken!

The rule has totally changed the game.

In the article, I was interested in the 4 point shot. I've often wondered if 4 point shot would eventually be introduced into the game at some point?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I think the next evolution in the game will be to implement in the actual game something like what's in the tweet above. It's fun to watch a barrage of 3's and layups when you're hitting 40% from 3 pt land. However, if EVERY team goes to this, it will no longer be interesting to me. I think you need something to incentivize longer and mid-range shots. Otherwise, when everybody evolves to what we are doing because of analytics, it becomes quite predictable and unwatchable. Call me crazy.
This will never happen, but from a game theory standpoint, the simpler solution to bring back the midrange shot is to eliminate the three point shot. The Oats philosophy - a steady diet of 3s and bunnies, with just enough midrange mixed in to keep defenses honest - was a predictable result of introducing the 3 point line. Imagine if you got more points for a touchdown or field goal for every 10 yards outside the red zone...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This will never happen, but from a game theory standpoint, the simpler solution to bring back the midrange shot is to eliminate the three point shot. The Oats philosophy - a steady diet of 3s and bunnies, with just enough midrange mixed in to keep defenses honest - was a predictable result of introducing the 3 point line. Imagine if you got more points for a touchdown or field goal for every 10 yards outside the red zone...
I have friends who retired from HS coaching because of it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.