Bama Adds Punter Thru Transfer Portal

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not implying he won't be the answer to our punting woes, but I have seen too many top, can't miss kickers and punters sign with Alabama only to become "what ever happened to players doomed to obscurity". Think I will wait and see if he performs as so many on here expect.
I understand your point regarding the last few seasons but we had the greatest punter in our programs history for 4 years just 4 years ago. I don't think we can lump the punter in with the way our FG kickers have performed over the last decade+ due to JK.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Tiderollin32

1st Team
Mar 12, 2012
Great pick up! Would not be surprised if this becomes the new norm adding experienced kickers via the portal. We’ve had great kickers and punters but I’m sure Saban would love more consistency than a drop off with a young/nervous kicker.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
The portal may make bama stronger in the long run. “Oh, we lack experience at the receiver position??? just poach a burner from Ohio state who was buried on the depth chart” “having punting Troubles??” get a talented punter at Troy who is looking to make a change” “Want more depth at the linebacker position?? Just get a freshman all sec linebacker who had 72 tackles last year.” This isn’t recruiting or getting someone from Juco. The guys who we are getting have shown they can play at other schools at the collegiate level.

Bama9001

3rd Team
Sep 26, 2017
Guessing that he's not listed on the NCAA stats because of his #punts per game. He had 25 punts over 11 games. Noticed that Bama's current punter isn't listed in the top 86 either, likely due to not having enough punts.

On the plus side JM did his best work in the games he punted most often. The two games he punted in the most were also the two games where he had his highest average.
Thought this was a really good pickup. After a little more analysis I think this could be a GREAT pickup.

Reactions: Con