News Article: Bama, Bear Bryant and a trainer's bet: Why the Alabama-Tennessee cigar tradition means so much

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Just terrific! I`ve been around long enough to have been privileged to have watched Alabama football from `58 until this moment. Obviously knew of JG, but didn`t fully realize how close he was to Coach Bryant. Coach Bryant always said that you really didn`t know how good a player was until he played against UT. That`s how special that rivalry was in those days. To this day, I still hate`em!

Reactions: Saban4Ever

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The Alabama AD has always provided cigars for the players, but kept it secret from the NCAA due to concerns over providing players with extra benefits and allowing tobacco products in the locker room. Alabama publicly reinstated the tradition in 2005 and now reports it as a secondary violation to the NCAA with every win. Shockingly, the NCAA always makes an exception for this.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The Alabama AD has always provided cigars for the players, but kept it secret from the NCAA due to concerns over providing players with extra benefits and allowing tobacco products in the locker room. Alabama publicly reinstated the tradition in 2005 and now reports it as a secondary violation to the NCAA with every win. Shockingly, the NCAA always makes an exception for this.
Wow, I had never heard that. I can't believe the NCAA removed their heads from their rears long enough to use common sense about something. Roll Tide! 🚬

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
All I know is that I got mine ready. After them smoking it in our faces for 7 years straight I believe it’s think we should smoke it theirs for Atleast 35 straight. I think that almost evens out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.