Bama @ Ole Miss game preview: Bama trying to stop the bleeding, even with playoffs out of reach

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Ole Miss preview: Bama trying to stop the bleeding, even with playoffs out of reach
by Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor in Chief

It’s rare that Alabama faces the situation it is in at the moment: out of the running for the College Football Playoff (unless all heck breaks loose in the final few weeks), out of control for the SEC West, and facing an Ole Miss team on the road that suddenly appears to have the upper hand.

Even though Alabama’s two losses on the year have come by the tightest of margins, the glaring issues those two losses revealed – fundamental issues with the defense in a loss to Tennessee, and a lack of ability to close the deal on either offense or defense at LSU – don’t exactly foster confidence given that in those games, Alabama at least had the carrot of something bigger to play for. Now, save for watching LSU get upset twice over the next three weeks in games the Tigers should easily win, Alabama can’t even play the role of spoiler in the SEC Championship Game.

CONTINUE READING

Week 11 Info:

Last edited by a moderator:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I am obliged to agree with you, Jess. Having the fortitude and grit to fight over breadcrumbs instead of championships, I'm not seeing it right now.

The disappointment flowing from the transfers from Georgia and LSU, and the team in general, is palpable. This is an important game.

Reactions: Rush

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
This is silly. LSU drops that 2 pt conversion, and Bama is a 10 pt favorite to OM and likely wins the position groups 6-2 or 7-1.

we may lose, but not because OM has better talent at RB, WR, OL and DL.

hyperbole
I don't think its a matter of talent, it's a matter of players playing to their abilities. Our guys are falling well short and we are truly terrible on the road.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I certainly respect your point, and Alabama does have better talent everywhere. But this is not how they seem to be playing. If a great talent is hamstrung by a playcall, a drop, a coordinator, or a team-mate who is not pulling their weight, then the talent is diluted.

And I agree that if LSU missed that 2-point conversion, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. We made similar observations after the TN game. But after several close or lost games, especially away games, it is hard to overcome the impression that this is a dicey game for Alabama that they really have to win, even though the win doesn't earn much.

Still, there is a good chance that Alabama reverts to angry mode, and wins going away.

Reactions: Saban4Ever

Foleybammer

Scout Team
Dec 3, 2019
After reading the article we need to go to a bigger offensive line up. Run north and south
and pound them just like we did last year when we lead 28-0. Use play action to throw downfield.
Will this happen? With BOB probably not. And speaking of him a good offensive coach adjusts
the offense to what the players can do and this has been his biggest failure. Look at what Kiffin
has done turning Ole Miss into a running team.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is silly. LSU drops that 2 pt conversion, and Bama is a 10 pt favorite to OM and likely wins the position groups 6-2 or 7-1.

hyperbole
I certainly respect your point, and Alabama does have better talent everywhere. But this is not how they seem to be playing. If a great talent is hamstrung by a playcall, a drop, a coordinator, or a team-mate who is not pulling their weight, then the talent is diluted.

And I agree that if LSU missed that 2-point conversion, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. We made similar observations after the TN game. But after several close or lost games, especially away games, it is hard to overcome the impression that this is a dicey game for Alabama that they really have to win, even though the win doesn't earn much.

Still, there is a good chance that Alabama reverts to angry mode, and wins going away.
The problem is the problem. We've been more talented in each game, but the ongoing issue is there's no reason to believe the talent is going to play up to its potential suddenly.

And even if we finally do, it's a day late and a dollar short! It's really a shame it's come to this.

Foleybammer

Scout Team
Dec 3, 2019
The problem is the problem. We've been more talented in each game, but the ongoing issue is there's no reason to believe the talent is going to play up to its potential suddenly.

And even if we finally do, it's a day late and a dollar short! It's really a shame it's come to this.
I was a high svhool coach for 36 years. Good coaches get players to play to their potential
And beyond. Our failures this year are on our coaches.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019

hyperbole
Not silly at all.
This Bama team struggles on the road and has for 2 seasons now.

This Bama team has a fragile mentality.

This Bama team has awful coordinators that do not put their players in positions to have consistent success.

This Bama team has a QB that, while is the best in the country, has a hurt shoulder. And he's trying to make heroic plays because our play calling is bad and because our WR group is mediocre at best.

This Bama team has only pride to play for. Do we really think this group will suddenly show enough pride to show up.

This Bama team is not physical.

I hope we keep it within 3 points, with the fragility of this team and it being on the road and Kiffin going up against Pete.....well, we'll see. I think 3 points is generous.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This could be a program-defining game in terms of the tail end of Saban's career.
There's a scenario where a loss to OM might be a good thing. FWIW, I can't/won't pull against Bama ever, but another loss will add to the mounting evidence some big changes are needed.

I suppose CNS already realizes this, but if he isn't fully sold on it, another loss could actually be the watershed moment.

FWIW, I hate that has come to the fact we are even having to consider this possibility when about 3 months ago almost 100% were certain this was a NC-contending team.

• Smash Keyboard
Reactions: Al A Bama

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Of course not. According to the post, OM has 4 position groups better than ours. And one of our 4 was special teams. :(
I don't disagree that we are more talented, but I think Jess may be taking into account how those more talented positions have consistently underperformed, which I primarily believe is due to coaches not getting the results they are paid to get. There's a video of GMac addressing this in a thread (talking about coaches who can recruit but not get results).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Of course not. According to the post, OM has 4 position groups better than ours. And one of our 4 was special teams. :(
Not about talent - about performance. I would take both of their lines over Alabama's right now based on performance. And games are still won in the trenches.

That said, there is still hope that this team will reach its potential, which is miles higher than Ole Miss '.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.