Bama players in NFL Games - (mostly Mac Jones)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
In other words, typical Patriots. If you look at their Pro Bowl history at offensive skill positions under Belichick, it basically comes down to Brady, Gronk, Welker. Belichick's system has always prioritized less flashy, team-first guys who can do their job over flashy "get me the ball" types. Rarely are they first round picks (Gronk was a 2nd rounder; Brady a 6th). With the exception of Randy Moss, never are they high dollar free agents (Welker was a UDFA in 2004 and traded from the Dolphins in 2007). How anyone can argue against the Patriot Way escapes me...
I'm not arguing against the "Patriot Way" so much as I am arguing against the notion that Belichick makes those under the radar types succeed on his own (in other words, him finding diamonds in the rough that no one else could have found). The success was because he had an all-time talent at QB in Brady. Now, no one knew this when he was drafted in the 6th round. New England was dreadful with Cam as QB because he was not capable of lifting the team around him.

I think Belichick got lucky with Mac Jones being available at 15. I think in an NFL world with true intelligence running things, Mac is gone within the first 5 picks. I think Mac Jones was the only rookie QB in this class that was truly capable mentally as well as physically of starting on day 1. And I think most of these NFL media types are loathe to admit they got it completely wrong on him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not arguing against the "Patriot Way" so much as I am arguing against the notion that Belichick makes those under the radar types succeed on his own (in other words, him finding diamonds in the rough that no one else could have found). The success was because he had an all-time talent at QB in Brady. Now, no one knew this when he was drafted in the 6th round. New England was dreadful with Cam as QB because he was not capable of lifting the team around him.

I think Belichick got lucky with Mac Jones being available at 15. I think in an NFL world with true intelligence running things, Mac is gone within the first 5 picks. I think Mac Jones was the only rookie QB in this class that was truly capable mentally as well as physically of starting on day 1. And I think most of these NFL media types are loathe to admit they got it completely wrong on him.
Cam was totally incapable of learning the Patriot play book and complained openly that he was being asked to do things he'd never done (reading keys like the MLB). OTOH, Cam was enormously popular in the lockerroom. You can't "lift" the team, if you don't know the playbook. Cam is back where he never should have left and where the fans love him (although maybe not so much the coaching staff). The rest of your post, I agree with...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Ryan C. -- who has always been a MJ fan, said that the other teams should have chosen MJ just to keep him away from CBB -- that anyone could see he was a TB clone and would fit hand in glove at NE. LOL! Even Rex Ryan agreed...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Cam was totally incapable of learning the Patriot play book and complained openly that he was being asked to do things he'd never done (reading keys like the MLB). OTOH, Cam was enormously popular in the lockerroom. You can't "lift" the team, if you don't know the playbook. Cam is back where he never should have left and where the fans love him (although maybe not so much the coaching staff). The rest of your post, I agree with...
You are exactly right and that's what I'm referring to in lifting the team around you. And apart from that mental aspect of the game, I believe Cam's physical gifts have deteriorated.

I did not see the Carolina game yesterday, but I've seen a few replays, and in particular the one they are playing over and over of Cam scoring and then taking a great deal of time to make sure the cameras videoed him saying "I'm back" as if he were the monster in a horror film. The narcissism was on full display.

I'm sure he is loved in the locker room... I couldn't play on a team with a guy with that kind of mental makeup though.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Despite the success of MJ, I’m still seeing people bring up his low ceiling but what is that exactly? His inability to throw left handed or throw 60 yards across his body? Cause that doesnt win Super Bowls.
Beats me...just because he cannot throw a rope from one side of the field to the other. No one throws those passes anyway...at least no one who hopes to complete them.

Reactions: RammerJammer15

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
You are exactly right and that's what I'm referring to in lifting the team around you. And apart from that mental aspect of the game, I believe Cam's physical gifts have deteriorated.

I did not see the Carolina game yesterday, but I've seen a few replays, and in particular the one they are playing over and over of Cam scoring and then taking a great deal of time to make sure the cameras videoed him saying "I'm back" as if he were the monster in a horror film. The narcissism was on full display.

I'm sure he is loved in the locker room... I couldn't play on a team with a guy with that kind of mental makeup though.
I will forever believe that if Cam is not a full-blown sociopath, that he at least crosses mere narcissism into some very real sociopathic behavior. My sister-in-law, who is a counsellor, pointed this out years ago and I've never been able to get it out of my head.

Mac has been a complete and utter joy to watch. I hope he is enjoying himself. He seems to take the bad drives hard.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Despite the success of MJ, I’m still seeing people bring up his low ceiling but what is that exactly? His inability to throw left handed or throw 60 yards across his body? Cause that doesnt win Super Bowls.
Its the same reason people try to suggest Aaron Rodgers is better than Tom Brady. They get goo goo eyed on the potential based on talent and lose sight on the guy who actually plays to his full potential and beyond it despite his talent limitations.

Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I will forever believe that if Cam is not a full-blown sociopath, that he at least crosses mere narcissism into some very real sociopathic behavior. My sister-in-law, who is a counsellor, pointed this out years ago and I've never been able to get it out of my head.
There's no doubt he is at least a full blown narcissist. Many highly successful persons develop in this way...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Show me 20 lists of the 10 starting QBs in the NFL with the "highest ceiling" for each of the last 20 years and I'll show you, probably, 17 or 18 lists of 10 guys that didn't win the Super Bowl that year...

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
For my money, Mac is the best QB in my lifetime..and I'm 61. Not the best arm strength, not the fastest or most athletic...but the best QB. He's a quick learner...he's amazingly accurate...but perhaps his greatest strength is that he "sees fast". He can see a play unfold, make the right decision about where the ball should go and get it there about as well as anyone in the game...even as a rookie. Remarkable really. And throw in a great work ethic and a winner's attitude... He's special.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Now the new knock on Mac is that he clearly went to the best team and the team around him is SO great. Which is ridiculous and untrue.

The reality is while the Pats have a good defense the rest of the team is at best okay. The OL is solid but based on the advanced stats isn't much better than the Bears. And the WR group has got to be one of the least talented in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.